News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Globalisation

Started by Richard Hakluyt, May 08, 2017, 02:25:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you regard yourself as a winner or loser from the process of globalisation?

Winner
26 (51%)
Loser
7 (13.7%)
Neither
16 (31.4%)
Jaron should be deported to Mexico
2 (3.9%)

Total Members Voted: 51

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on May 17, 2017, 10:14:02 AM
I bang on my chest like Matthew McConaughey every time I add more money to Usury Quest  :blush:
well, the coke part was real.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

grumbler

You know, Berkut, I don't think we will ever discover what is wrong with Clan of the Cave Bear; what 'crackpot theories" are ruining anthropology classes across the land.  The complainants seem to go silent when asked for details.  How unexpected.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Brain

In all fairness Gor has been a similar bane of gender studies.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Jacob

Quote from: grumbler on May 18, 2017, 01:42:29 PM
You know, Berkut, I don't think we will ever discover what is wrong with Clan of the Cave Bear; what 'crackpot theories" are ruining anthropology classes across the land.  The complainants seem to go silent when asked for details.  How unexpected.

I can tell you some of the bits I remember from back when I read it, if you'd like?

Razgovory

Well you don't read my posts, so that might be your problem right there.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

grumbler

Quote from: Jacob on May 18, 2017, 03:47:56 PM

I can tell you some of the bits I remember from back when I read it, if you'd like?

You proposed "option C" which seemed absurd, but maybe you just don't remember as far back as yesterday.  I'll do the unthinkable and quote you:
QuoteOr...

C) People care so much about about Clan of the Cave Bear that they'll bastardized anthropology to support their pet theories and spread their crank theories with a veneer of science acquired in a couple of classes. You know, much like most creationism and other Christian "science".

That seems like a claim.  If you don't want to support it, I fully understand.  It seems pretty indefensible on the face of it.  If you don't even remember what the book was about, that seems like a pretty irresponsible claim.

But, hey, you live with what you can live with, intellectually speaking.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

PDH

You know I thought about answering what I actually experienced, but I realized that the argument is not about reality.  I read:
Quote from: grumbler on May 15, 2017, 09:45:30 AM
If they didn't come to their interest in learning via a pure enough path, he hated it.  But, since he doesn't still have the job anyway, that's a moot point.

And I remembered that baseless allegations that can be partially backtracked with:
Quote from: grumbler on May 15, 2017, 11:00:08 AM
Just trying to imitate the master.  Could it be that neither of us was being entirely serious?

Sure I called you an asshole for the initial remark made without any data or even attempt at empathy.  The exchange meant I didn't answer then, and I won't now.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Ed Anger

I liked it when daryl hannah took it doggie style in the cave.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

grumbler

Quote from: PDH on May 18, 2017, 08:03:15 PM
And I remembered that baseless allegations that can be partially backtracked with:
Quote from: grumbler on May 15, 2017, 11:00:08 AM
Just trying to imitate the master.  Could it be that neither of us was being entirely serious?

Sure I called you an asshole for the initial remark made without any data or even attempt at empathy.  The exchange meant I didn't answer then, and I won't now.

Hey, I am kool with this.  As I noted, I wasn't serious and didn't think you were, either.  If you were serious, and intend no further communications with me, that's all right.  We only exchanged vague preferences about Wyoming football, anyway.  Feel free to ignore every single post I make.

I can live with not knowing the evils of Clan of the Cave Bear.  My indifference to that book could not be greater.

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Ed Anger on May 18, 2017, 08:13:17 PM

If doggy style is an important plot point, I might reconsider my stance on the book.

Bayraktar!

PDH

Quote from: grumbler on May 18, 2017, 08:24:32 PM

Hey, I am kool with this.  As I noted, I wasn't serious and didn't think you were, either.  If you were serious, and intend no further communications with me, that's all right.  We only exchanged vague preferences about Wyoming football, anyway.  Feel free to ignore every single post I make.

I can live with not knowing the evils of Clan of the Cave Bear.  My indifference to that book could not be greater.

Let us just say that teaching is a very touchy subject with me.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Jacob

Quote from: grumbler on May 18, 2017, 08:25:56 PM

If doggy style is an important plot point, I might reconsider my stance on the book.

It is, as is the difference between Neanderthal and Homo Sapiens cock.

grumbler

Quote from: Jacob on May 18, 2017, 10:58:11 PM
Quote from: grumbler on May 18, 2017, 08:25:56 PM

It is, as is the difference between Neanderthal and Homo Sapiens cock.

Neanderthals didn't do it doggie-style?  No wonder they died out.

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: PDH on May 18, 2017, 08:40:02 PM

I apologize, then, if you will accept it.  No harm intended.

Bayraktar!

Barrister

Quote from: grumbler on May 18, 2017, 11:18:15 PM
Quote from: PDH on May 18, 2017, 08:40:02 PM

I apologize, then, if you will accept it.  No harm intended.

:o
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.