Tomato flavor is broken. Can it be fixed?

Started by jimmy olsen, February 21, 2017, 02:23:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

I eagerly await our new Tomato overlords.

http://www.vox.com/science-and-health/2017/1/27/14414538/supermarket-tomatoes-taste-fix-science
QuoteTomato flavor is broken. Can it be fixed?
Scientists say they can use molecular breeding to get us much better tomatoes.
Updated by Mark Schatzker  Feb 20, 2017, 10:51am EST

Cardboard. Memory foam. Wet cotton balls. There are many ways to describe the flavor of the modern-day supermarket tomato. It may be the only fruit in America to qualify as a biological tragedy.

Back in 1989, a molecular biologist named Harry Klee was hired by Monsanto to create a genetically modified tomato with better flavor. After years of research and $10 million, Klee managed to develop one — but it tasted only marginally superior to what was available in supermarkets. Determined to keep at it, in 1995 he joined the Horticultural Sciences Department at the University of Florida, where he has spent the past 22 years studying what makes tomatoes taste good.

Last month, Klee and a team of collaborators, including scientists from China, Spain, and Israel, published a paper in Science analyzing flavor-associated chemicals in 398 modern, heirloom, and wild tomatoes. The results are pretty intriguing. I spoke to Klee to find out exactly what went wrong with tomatoes and why, and whether the damage can be undone.

Mark Schatzker
The first line of your Science paper says, "Modern commercial tomato varieties are substantially less flavorful than heirloom varieties." Is there now scientific proof that supermarket tomatoes really do taste terrible?

Harry Klee
Since 2010, we've run about 40 taste panels, consisting of around 100 people each, to rate 160 different varieties of tomatoes. Supermarket tomatoes, for the most part, struggle to get out of the bottom third of the ratings.

Mark Schatzker
What's wrong with them?

Harry Klee
Roughly half of the flavor compounds are significantly worse in modern varieties. They're also much lower in sugar. We found this by running a complete chemical profile of every tomato variety and asking, what's in the tomatoes people like and what's in the ones people don't like? Then we took it a step further and used software that goes through the entire tomato genome and checks every nucleotide to see if it's correlated with a particular flavor compound. When we took all the modern varieties and grouped them together and compared their flavor compounds with the old varieties, what we found the modern varieties are way lower.

Mark Schatzker
How did this happen?

Harry Klee
For decades, tomato breeders have selected traits related to performance — yield, disease resistance, how well tomatoes ship, how well they last on a shelf. Those are the things they can measure and do measure, and they've done very well at it. But they never select for flavor. And if you don't select for flavor, you are selecting against it.

In the case of sugar, it's a little bit different. We found there is a definite trade-off between sugar content and fruit size. And the tomatoes you find in the store these days are gigantic. But this actually goes way back. The pre-Columbian natives who domesticated tomatoes were themselves selecting for bigger fruit that has less sugar.

Mark Schatzker
Wouldn't the tomato breeders have noticed their new tomato varieties tasted bland?

Harry Klee
Probably not. In a single generation, they would have only lost one flavor compound, so the difference would have been extremely subtle. Over several generations, however, the effect is huge. The best analogy I can come up with is an orchestra. If you pull out one instrument, you don't miss it unless you're really discerning. But if you slowly remove 12 members of the orchestra, at that point it sounds different.

Mark Schatzker
Could you use the gene-editing technology CRISPR to plug the good flavor genes back into modern tomatoes?

Harry Klee
CRISPR is very powerful technology, but at this point you can only knock things down or out. We don't know how to make more of things with CRISPR. You can't use it to put in a genetic trait that's not there.

Mark Schatzker
So what is the blueprint to fix tomatoes?

Harry Klee
What we need to do is get the flavor from heirlooms into modern tomatoes but leave behind everything else we don't want — the thin skin, the mushy texture, the low yield, and the poor disease resistance. If you do that through classical breeding, it will take many generations. Instead, we're using something called molecular breeding.

Basically, you cross an heirloom and a modern tomato, grow it to the seedling stage, and then screen it for the genetic markers you want. It might take a million seedlings, but eventually you will find the rare cross that inherited the one chromosome with the gene you want from the heirloom but not the other 11. With molecular breeding you can do in three generations what it would take a traditional breeder to do in seven. That's a year and a half versus three years.

Mark Schatzker
So in a year and a half, will all tomatoes be delicious?

Harry Klee
No, because it's not one gene we're after. It's a minimum of five. And many of them are found in different heirloom parents. So five genes will require about three years of molecular breeding.

But we will still run into a problem with sugar. Tomato growers know consumers prefer sweeter tomatoes. They also know that sweeter means smaller fruit size. And they don't want to grow smaller tomatoes, because that pushes their labor costs up.

So until we can convince consumers to pay more money for smaller tomatoes, they're just not going to taste like that Brandywine you picked in your backyard. That said, I think we can have a major impact by focusing on flavor compounds. I think you would eat that tomato and say, "This is noticeably better."

Mark Schatzker
If scientists studied other fruits and vegetables for flavor loss the way you have with tomatoes, do you think we would see similar blandness in modern varieties?

Harry Klee
I think most people recognize that the gigantic strawberries you get in the store are not nearly as good as the tiny ones you pick in the wild. Any crop that has been heavily bred and not screened for flavor or nutrition is going to suffer. The blueberries grown in Florida are gigantic, and they're also tasteless.

Mark Schatzker
So is there, similarly, the potential to make other members of the produce aisle taste better?

Harry Klee
Absolutely. We call it "consumer-assisted selection." It means you start with the consumer rather than end with the consumer, and I think that's the real breakthrough here. It's common sense, but hardly anyone does it. And it drives me crazy.

Mark Schatzker
Do you think we will see that happen?

Harry Klee
I do. But it might not happen here. Right now, China is probably spending 10 times what we are on basic plant research. We had to go to China to find a collaborator to sequence all these tomato genomes. You know who the No. 1 producer of tomatoes in the world is? China. They're going to be ahead of us. It's inevitable.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Monoriu

About time someone does something about this important issue.  The taste of different tomatoes vary dramatically.  A lot of them just plain suck. 

Archy

Oh noes,

we need to close the strategical tomato gap with China  :ph34r:

MadImmortalMan

I wondered about those gigantic strawberries they sell you covered in chocolate and whatever. They have no flavor at all. Same thing with grapes--the ones you buy in the produce aisle are huge and taste like water. The ones they make wine from are tiny and packed with bitter goodness and sugars if picked late.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

crazy canuck

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on February 21, 2017, 04:32:35 AM
I wondered about those gigantic strawberries they sell you covered in chocolate and whatever. They have no flavor at all. Same thing with grapes--the ones you buy in the produce aisle are huge and taste like water. The ones they make wine from are tiny and packed with bitter goodness and sugars if picked late.

Yep, there is a big difference in taste between fruits grown to maximize yield and those that maximize taste.   Strawberries are an excellent example.  I am not sure how growers achieve those huge uniformly shaped ones but I agree they have no taste.  A small one grown in my yard picked after ripening on the vine has an intense flavour.

Richard Hakluyt

With strawberries I find that the more local they are the better, also a good strawberry will have a strong (and very pleasant) aroma.

celedhring

I used to buy fruit in a "fruit outlet" of sorts. They bought the fruit that was refused by major distributors because it didn't look good enough: not big enough, colors not bright enough... Funnily it tasted better than the one you could get at most supermarkets.

In general you can still find very tasty fruit if you know where to buy it over here, without necessarily overpaying.

Eddie Teach

I don't want flavorful tomatoes, I just want them to keep burgers and sandwiches from drying out my mouth.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Habbaku

Quote from: Eddie Teach on February 21, 2017, 12:58:08 PM
I don't want flavorful tomatoes, I just want them to keep burgers and sandwiches from drying out my mouth.

Why not both?
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Admiral Yi

Agree that texture is more important than flavor, but the two seem to go hand in hand.

Grinning_Colossus

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on February 21, 2017, 04:32:35 AM

I was blown away by the December grapes from my Georgian host family's little vineyard. Such tart skins and sweet innards--they tasted like candy. I'm surprised that they're not available in US markets, even as a relatively expensive novelty. 
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

DGuller

How much is the taste problem due to selective breeding gone wrong, and how much is it due to picking them green and then reddening them up afterwards?

Ed Anger

I enjoy my tomatoes in ketchup and marinara form.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: DGuller on February 21, 2017, 09:31:33 PM
How much is the taste problem due to selective breeding gone wrong, and how much is it due to picking them green and then reddening them up afterwards?

I'm not sure it's either of those. It seems like when fruits get huge it's just because they're storing up a lot of water.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers