Tomato flavor is broken. Can it be fixed?

Started by jimmy olsen, February 21, 2017, 02:23:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

LaCroix

tomatoes wouldn't be as popular if they had an intense tomato flavor

crazy canuck

Quote from: Eddie Teach on February 21, 2017, 12:58:08 PM
I don't want flavorful tomatoes, I just want them to keep burgers and sandwiches from drying out my mouth.

How does a burger dry out in your mouth?

Eddie Teach

If they leave off the tomato, the patty is not juicy enough to counteract the bun.

I hate mayo, which can serve the same function.

Valmy

Quote from: LaCroix on February 22, 2017, 08:56:46 AM
tomatoes wouldn't be as popular if they had an intense tomato flavor

The big beer companies have certainly proved that you get mass appeal with less flavor.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

crazy canuck

Quote from: Eddie Teach on February 22, 2017, 10:31:05 AM
If they leave off the tomato, the patty is not juicy enough to counteract the bun.

What kind of burgers are you eating that have that kind of sawdust passing as a beef patty?

LaCroix

Habbaku

Wanting a good burger doesn't make one a foodie.  :huh:
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

LaCroix

Quote from: Habbaku on February 22, 2017, 10:35:09 AM

no but

buying a calf and raising it yourself on organic grass before you butcher it on your son's thirteenth birthday to make hamburgers for the whole family

does

Valmy

Quote from: LaCroix on February 22, 2017, 10:37:40 AM

no but

buying a calf and raising it yourself on organic grass before you butcher it on your son's thirteenth birthday to make hamburgers for the whole family

does

Really? You have to do this kind of shit even in simple burger discussions?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy

Quote from: LaCroix on February 22, 2017, 10:34:44 AM
$$$ > being a foodie

The cheapest method is buying a few patties and grilling them yourself. That tends to create a pretty good burger if you know what you are doing.

derspiess

Quote from: Eddie Teach on February 22, 2017, 10:31:05 AM

I hate mayo, which can serve the same function.

If your burger is too dry by itself, you're doing it wrong.  Agree with you on the mayo thing, though.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

LaCroix

cheapest is buying costco/sam's club ground beef in bulk. true foodies look down on non-grass fed beef. if you don't buy your meat at the butcher, you're not being a true foodie

I'm too cheap for any of that. I get far more satisfaction out of spending less than $200/month household on groceries

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on February 22, 2017, 10:41:56 AM
Quote from: LaCroix on February 22, 2017, 10:34:44 AM
$$$ > being a foodie

The cheapest method is buying a few patties and grilling them yourself. That tends to create a pretty good burger if you know what you are doing.

For Valentine's Day I went out and got some nice steaks from a butcher that is usually out of my price range, and also got a couple patties for the kids.  The steaks were tasty, but man that burger was on point (had a bite of my son's burger when he wasn't looking).  My daughter predictably didn't want her burger so I saved it for lunch the next day.

Next morning was one work-related annoyance after another.  The only thing that got me through it was the thought of heating up that burger for lunch.  But the cleaning lady got to it before I could.  DAMN YOU CONSUELA
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Eddie Teach

I wouldn't take the juiciest steak and stick it between two pieces of bread without wanting a drink after each bite.