News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Question: What happens if Trump doesn't leave?

Started by Razgovory, November 29, 2016, 11:29:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: Barrister on November 29, 2016, 01:38:29 PM
Quote from: LaCroix on November 29, 2016, 01:30:55 PM
no, you're also assuming that because they think the election is stolen, they will actively attempt to keep trump in power

Nixon thought the 1960 election was stolen from him (and he was the sitting VP).  In the end though he (and the GOP) did not dispute the result.

Gore thought the 2000 election was stolen from him (and again, he was the sitting VP).  Though there were court challenges, once the USSC ruled he did not dispute the result further.

Not quite.  Both conceded the election.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

11B4V

Quote from: Razgovory on November 29, 2016, 11:29:09 AM
This is sort of bothering me.  What if 4 years from now Trump runs again for President and loses then refuses to vacate the office claiming the election is illegitimate and he will not recognize the results?  How do you make him leave?

He would be an enemy of the constitution and dealt with accordingly.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

LaCroix

Quote from: Razgovory on November 29, 2016, 01:35:17 PM
no, you're also assuming that because they think the election is stolen, they will actively attempt to keep trump in power

You believe they would knowingly follow illegal orders?

stolen election doesn't mean the orders to arrest trump for refusing to leave office are illegal. it's a lot more difficult for people to act than to watch and complain

Razgovory

Quote from: LaCroix on November 29, 2016, 01:39:40 PM

stolen election doesn't mean the orders to arrest trump for refusing to leave office are illegal. it's a lot more difficult for people to act than to watch and complain

Okay, let me turn it around as I did for BB.  What if an election is stolen.  What is the proper response?  Watch and complain?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Razgovory on November 29, 2016, 01:44:33 PM
Okay, let me turn it around as I did for BB.  What if an election is stolen.  What is the proper response?  Watch and complain?

I think the proper response if one suspects state officials of conducting electoral fraud is to request an FBI investigation.

Barrister

Were you not around in 2000?  If you think an election is stolen you challenge the results in court, state by state.  There's a whole process to do so.  Hell Jill Stein is trying to do so right now on behalf of Hillary.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

The Minsky Moment

Nixon thought the 1960 election was stolen from him (and he was the sitting VP).  In the end though he (and the GOP) did not dispute the result.

It's a little more complicated than that.  The Chairman of the RNC demanded recounts in a bunch of states.  Nixon didn't officially support the effort but his personal aides were involved in the recount efforts.  There were recounts in several states, but none revealed significant discrepancies.  Then a flurry of lawsuits which went nowhere.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Barrister

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 29, 2016, 02:00:24 PM

It's a little more complicated than that.  The Chairman of the RNC demanded recounts in a bunch of states.  Nixon didn't officially support the effort but his personal aides were involved in the recount efforts.  There were recounts in several states, but none revealed significant discrepancies.  Then a flurry of lawsuits which went nowhere.

I was vaguely aware of this - which is why I went with "In the end though he... did not dispute the result".

Respect for the Constitution and tradition doesn't mean you can't file court challenges.  Heck the courts are part of the overall constitutional process!  But Raz seems to be talking about Trump disputing the election results outside of that constitutional framework.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Razgovory on November 29, 2016, 12:36:21 PM
It's never been done before, and the president can't be legally arrested while in office.  The assumption in the constitution is that the President is will leave office voluntarily.

I don't get it.  If Trump loses in 2020, then the Electors will elect someone else, that person will be inaugurated, and then under the Constitution, that person will be the President and Trump will not.  So of course he could be arrested for trespass and other things as well.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Razgovory

Quote from: Barrister on November 29, 2016, 01:50:44 PM

Were you not around in 2000?  If you think an election is stolen you challenge the results in court, state by state.  There's a whole process to do so.  Hell Jill Stein is trying to do so right now on behalf of Hillary.

Uh, yeah.  They weren't challenging the result of the election in court, state by state.  That didn't happen.

Barrister

Quote from: Razgovory on November 29, 2016, 02:05:21 PM
Uh, yeah.  They weren't challenging the result of the election in court, state by state.  That didn't happen.

They were challenging the result in Florida.  They didn't need to challenge state by state since Florida decided the election.

KRonn

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 29, 2016, 12:01:48 PM
Answer to that is easy: Build a wall around him.

Next President works out the Naval Observatory, and the VP gets Trump Tower.

:D 
And this time Mexico might offer to pay for that wall.   

Razgovory

Quote from: Barrister on November 29, 2016, 02:07:07 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on November 29, 2016, 02:05:21 PM

They were challenging the result in Florida.  They didn't need to challenge state by state since Florida decided the election.

So they didn't challenge the result state by state.  They didn't even challenge it county by county.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Barrister on November 29, 2016, 02:07:07 PM

And there were no grounds to challenge in other states.

KRonn

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 29, 2016, 02:03:26 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on November 29, 2016, 12:36:21 PM
It's never been done before, and the president can't be legally arrested while in office.  The assumption in the constitution is that the President is will leave office voluntarily.

I don't get it.  If Trump loses in 2020, then the Electors will elect someone else, that person will be inaugurated, and then under the Constitution, that person will be the President and Trump will not.  So of course he could be arrested for trespass and other things as well.

Agreed. A President would have to create a coup and take over the government but first have enough support of legal entities, military and whatever else to make that happen.

I've heard some people on the other side of politics wonder the same thing about Obama, that there would be some kind of big event where he declares martial law and refuses to leave the WH. I didn't buy into that side either.