News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Question: What happens if Trump doesn't leave?

Started by Razgovory, November 29, 2016, 11:29:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gups

Quote from: Razgovory on November 29, 2016, 12:36:21 PM
It's never been done before, and the president can't be legally arrested while in office.  The assumption in the constitution is that the President is will leave office voluntarily.

He won't legally be in office in your scenario. Only physically in the office.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

LaCroix

It's never been done before, and the president can't be legally arrested while in office.  The assumption in the constitution is that the President is will leave office voluntarily.

the constitution means only what SCOTUS says it means

derspiess

Quote from: Razgovory on November 29, 2016, 12:37:39 PM
Quote from: derspiess on November 29, 2016, 12:35:55 PM
Raz, just organize some Social Justice Warriors into formal units and use those to fight Trump and his Trumpenproletariat.

You want me to hang Trump voters?  Like yourself?

:lol:

Besides, SJWs don't hang people-- they nag them to death and organize boycotts.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Barrister

Why can't they be arrested?  The President is still subject to civil procedure (thanks Bill Clinton!), so I see no reason why they wouldn't still be subject to criminal law.  Mind you I guess a sitting President could pardon himself, but that's different from "can't be legally arrested".

Plus Trump is no longer President once his successor is sworn in no matter what Trump does.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Razgovory

Quote from: Barrister on November 29, 2016, 12:44:46 PM

Why can't they be arrested?  The President is still subject to civil procedure (thanks Bill Clinton!), so I see no reason why they wouldn't still be subject to criminal law.  Mind you I guess a sitting President could pardon himself, but that's different from "can't be legally arrested".

Plus Trump is no longer President once his successor is sworn in no matter what Trump does.

A President must be impeached first.  And like I said, if the election is not valid as Trump would almost certainly say, then what power actuallly forces him?  41% of the population believed that Trump would have the election would be stolen him.  How well is that percentage repersented in law enforcement?  If they truley believe that the election is stolen they won't believe they are acting illegally by refusing to remove the President.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Grey Fox

Quote from: Razgovory on November 29, 2016, 12:59:03 PM

A President must be impeached first.  And like I said, if the election is not valid as Trump would almost certainly say, then what power actuallly forces him?  41% of the population believed that Trump would have the election would be stolen him.  How well is that percentage repersented in law enforcement?  If they truley believe that the election is stolen they won't believe they are acting illegally by refusing to remove the President.

Then you ask what the Armed Forces think because you basically have (like BB mentioned) a coup d'état.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

LaCroix

Quote from: Razgovory on November 29, 2016, 12:59:03 PM

that's a big assumption

Razgovory

I making two assumptions.  That right actually believes the things it says and Trump has a respect for law and tradition.  Those that disagree with me make the opposite assumption.

LaCroix

no, you're also assuming that because they think the election is stolen, they will actively attempt to keep trump in power

Josquius

Quote from: alfred russel on November 29, 2016, 12:20:34 PM
Will trump run for reelection?

He will be really old, and I'm not sold on him wanting to actually do presidential work. I think he is more in it for the status, and he will have that without reelection.

Yes. Considering the odds of him winning a relection... I think he'll take the cowards way out and not even try
██████
██████
██████

Barrister

Quote from: Razgovory on November 29, 2016, 01:27:15 PM
I making two assumptions.  That right actually believes the things it says and Trump has a respect for law and tradition.  Those that disagree with me make the opposite assumption.

I believe that the US government, even Trump's appointees, have a respect for law and tradition.  Trump's crazy tweets are one thing, but if he were to make Executive Orders that are painfully, obviously, unconstitutional like ignoring the election results, that no one would follow those orders.

Razgovory

Quote from: LaCroix on November 29, 2016, 01:30:55 PM
no, you're also assuming that because they think the election is stolen, they will actively attempt to keep trump in power

You believe they would knowingly follow illegal orders?

Barrister

Quote from: LaCroix on November 29, 2016, 01:30:55 PM

Nixon thought the 1960 election was stolen from him (and he was the sitting VP).  In the end though he (and the GOP) did not dispute the result.

Gore thought the 2000 election was stolen from him (and again, he was the sitting VP).  Though there were court challenges, once the USSC ruled he did not dispute the result further.

Razgovory

Quote from: Barrister on November 29, 2016, 01:34:21 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on November 29, 2016, 01:27:15 PM

I believe that the US government, even Trump's appointees, have a respect for law and tradition.  Trump's crazy tweets are one thing, but if he were to make Executive Orders that are painfully, obviously, unconstitutional like ignoring the election results, that no one would follow those orders.

Let's assume for a moment the election is stolen from him.  Why should he leave office?