News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Flashpoint Latvia

Started by Jacob, November 17, 2016, 04:42:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

Quote from: Valmy on November 18, 2016, 11:54:38 AM
Well a modern naval force would be pretty useful in a Baltic based conflict.

It's no Royal Navy, but we can deploy a decent task force. Once the new subs are finally commissioned, every ship in our battle line -except the Hazard Perry's - will have been built in the 2000s or 2010s.

CountDeMoney

Zanza

I am usually a big fan of our soft power approach, but in the current situation Germany should build a big base in the Baltics and station a panzer division there.

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Razgovory on November 17, 2016, 06:37:50 PM
Quote from: Jacob on November 17, 2016, 06:00:07 PM
Quote from: PJL on November 17, 2016, 05:57:17 PM
I saw in a recent poll that only the LibDem voters would really support helping the Baltic countries against the Russians. All the other voters would be ambivalent or against.

Were I in charge of the Baltic countries, I'd invest a bit in PR to push a "we're like you" narrative in big NATO countries (i.e. Germany, France, US, UK).

Were I in charge I would grant citizenship to the Russians living there.  The fact that ethnic Russians have genuine grievances really muddies the waters here.

the colonists should have been expelled :p

seriously: the baltics are part of the Alliance, and they should be protected by the full might of that Alliance.

The Brain

Quote from: Zanza on November 18, 2016, 02:56:55 PM
I am usually a big fan of our soft power approach, but in the current situation Germany should build a big base in the Baltics and station a panzer division there.

Oh my God yes.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Valmy

Soft power is a very good offensive weapon, as the Russian cyberwarrriors are showing, but deterrence is important for defense.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

derspiess

Be careful with those; it's not like you have as many as you used to :mellow:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on November 18, 2016, 03:43:36 PM

They can fill the ranks with eager Osttruppen volunteers.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

celedhring

I was genuinely shocked when I found out that we have more Leopard 2 than Germany itself.  :lol:

Zanza

We can make more of them.

Valmy

That is the plan right? I understood re-armament was started last year.

Zanza

Not sure what re-armament means. It's not like we are disarmed. I think the "new" tanks they want to put into service are just older Leo2s from storage that get new electronics and a new main gun. Upgrade from A4 to A7.

In the current situation with a resurgent Russia, I wouldn't mind if we spend more resources on our military. I am not a big believer in the 2% NATO target as that seems arbitrary. We should spend what is necessary and in these times it might be necessary to build a new heavy mechanized unit to deploy in the Baltics.

Ideologue

Quote from: Martinus on November 18, 2016, 11:04:45 AM
Quote from: Eddie Teach on November 18, 2016, 10:57:09 AM
One needn't be a "hawk" to support NATO.

Well, I didn't want to call Ide a communist traitor outright.

Last I checked, my country wasn't Latvia.

If it makes you feel better, I could easily be talked into supporting the defense of that other newer NATO member, Poland.  Of course, I'm pretty sure you could talk me out of it, too.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

Quote from: Valmy on November 18, 2016, 03:08:58 PM

Soft power is a very good offensive weapon, as the Russian cyberwarrriors are showing, but deterrence is important for defense.

Does hacking adversary government computers count as "soft power"?
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Valmy

Quote from: Ideologue on November 18, 2016, 04:08:26 PM
Last I checked, my country wasn't Latvia.

Last I checked your country was bound to defend Latvia.