News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Is this true? Black slave masters

Started by Siege, November 16, 2016, 07:32:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Berkut

Yeah, it is a total secret that blacks held slaves, you have to really dig around to find any kind of mention of it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slavery_in_the_United_States#Black_slaveholders
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

viper37

Quote from: Berkut on November 17, 2016, 11:26:40 AM
Yeah, it is a total secret that blacks held slaves, you have to really dig around to find any kind of mention of it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slavery_in_the_United_States#Black_slaveholders
you have to read about it.  That's hard.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

grumbler

Quote from: derspiess on November 17, 2016, 11:05:23 AM
Seems an odd thing to teach in high school. I was never taught it.  It really isn't historically significant and there are many more important things to cover in limited time/space.  Which is why I said it was a quirk.  You guys read way too much into things sometimes.

:lol: Okay, Spicey.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Barrister on November 17, 2016, 11:11:39 AM
In high school grade 10 I took an optional course in US history.  Pretty sure that "blacks also owned slaves" wasn't mentioned - thee's only so much nuance you can fit into a one term class for 16 year olds.

Mind you as an adult with a history obsession I certainly knew that fact.  But I wouldn't be shocked if someone didn't.

I am not sure why you bring this up.  There is a difference between "it isn't always taught that blacks owned slaves" and "the general narrative is that no blacks ever owned any slaves."  If you were taught that no blacks ever owned any slaves, that would support one position in the discussion.  If you taught nothing on the topic, then what you were taught is neither here nor there.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

garbon

Quote from: grumbler on November 17, 2016, 12:43:10 PM
In high school grade 10 I took an optional course in US history.  Pretty sure that "blacks also owned slaves" wasn't mentioned - thee's only so much nuance you can fit into a one term class for 16 year olds.

Mind you as an adult with a history obsession I certainly knew that fact.  But I wouldn't be shocked if someone didn't.

I am not sure why you bring this up.  There is a difference between "it isn't always taught that blacks owned slaves" and "the general narrative is that no blacks ever owned any slaves."  If you were taught that no blacks ever owned any slaves, that would support one position in the discussion.  If you taught nothing on the topic, then what you were taught is neither here nor there.

:D :hug:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

You know, the slaves that built the White House were paid very well, considering the time period.

derspiess

So "general narrative" is a Languish trigger term.  Got it.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

garbon

Quote from: derspiess on November 17, 2016, 01:05:39 PM
So "general narrative" is a Languish trigger term.  Got it.

Well I think it is just some rhetorical device being used to make a claim with no support. :o
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Barrister

It wasn't that I was "taught that no blacks ever owned any slaves" - it was just that when slavery was discussed, only whites owning blacks was ever mentioned.  Just "white slaveowners, black slaves".  I think about as complex it got was mentioning that not all whites owned slaves, and some blacks were free.

Now obviously a single Canadian high school class in US history isn't going to go into the detail that a US class would (in particular a class in the south).
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Berkut

Quote from: Barrister on November 17, 2016, 01:27:36 PM

It wasn't that I was "taught that no blacks ever owned any slaves" - it was just that when slavery was discussed, only whites owning blacks was ever mentioned.  Just "white slaveowners, black slaves".  I think about as complex it got was mentioning that not all whites owned slaves, and some blacks were free.

You specifcally remember NOT being told that blacks could own slaves?

Or do you specifically remember being told that blacks could NOT own slaves?

Or do you specifically remember being told that ONLY whites owned slaves?

Is it possible, counselor, that you actually weren't told anything at all about the allowed races of slave owners, and are simply projecting your assumptions onto your education?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

viper37

Now obviously a single Canadian high school class in US history isn't going to go into the detail that a US class would (in particular a class in the south).
They don't talk about slavery in the South, only States rights.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Berkut on November 17, 2016, 01:36:38 PM

You specifcally remember NOT being told that blacks could own slaves?

Or do you specifically remember being told that blacks could NOT own slaves?

Or do you specifically remember being told that ONLY whites owned slaves?

Is it possible, counselor, that you actually weren't told anything at all about the allowed races of slave owners, and are simply projecting your assumptions onto your education?
I'm gonna take his defense here, and I'll say it was #1 for me, and I guess it was the same in his province.

celedhring

Mulatto slaveholders were a not uncommon fixture of XIXth century colonial Spain, fwiw. Spaniards tended to mix up with the natives and black slaves more than anglosaxons did, sometimes even openly, but discrimination and the caste system still vetoed the mulatto sons of wealthy colonials from acceding to higher education and reputable jobs. So to the plantation it was.

grumbler

I was never taught that there were high schools in Canada, so I guess I would (if i were like you) use that fact to support an argument that the general narrative is that there are no high schools in Canada.

Luckily for me, I know that that is not how evidence works.

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: viper37 on November 17, 2016, 01:36:38 PM
They don't talk about slavery in the South, only States rights.

I don't think he meant southern Quebec when he referenced "the south."   :P

Bayraktar!