News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Is this true? Black slave masters

Started by Siege, November 16, 2016, 07:32:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oexmelin

Such stories are very much mainstream right - even if they share the same whiny outlook with the alt-right, and the same cooky belief about how the "liberal elite" has confiscated The Real American History (which they rarely bother to articulate beyond America, Fuck Yeah).
Que le grand cric me croque !

Ideologue

Meh.  The alt-right is the mainstream right, except louder, more obnoxious, and more prone to dank memes.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

derspiess

Quote from: Berkut on November 17, 2016, 03:57:32 PM
Quote from: derspiess on November 17, 2016, 03:51:55 PM
Okay, so it's in the AP History book.  Big whoop.

I don't think it is a large or small whoop, just disproving your claim that it was not taught in high school. Another alt-right pile of crap.

Go find something else from brietbart to regale us all with...

Why are you trying to make this political?
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Oexmelin

Quote from: Ideologue on November 17, 2016, 04:07:21 PM
Seriously?  I mean, I know that parochialism is an element of, like, every high school history curriculum, but they didn't mention Spanish/Indian or North African/European slavery?  (Or comparisons to serfdom in Eastern Europe?)  I'm nhneot sure if they ever made a point of American black slaveowners, but they did make a point of black slave traders in Africa.

Slavery, in the US curriculum, has (rightly) been a crystallizing focus of scholarship and teaching in ways that they have not, in Canada. High school education about slavery has more nuances (hard to believe, I know), and more ongoing discussion than is usually the case, in Canada, where it is treated mostly by contrast with the more Southern colonies. Conversely, Native history is more cursorily treated in the US than it is in Canada.

That being said, the last years have seen a backlash against even teaching slavery, rather than mentioning it "en passant", in some States.
Que le grand cric me croque !

Ideologue

Seems like a weird thing not to teach, especially considering Canadians weren't terribly implicated in it, and were at the time part of the major force that put a stop to the trade (the British Empire, which remains problematic but at least took a firm stand against hardcore chattel slavery early on).  At the same time, it seems like it'd be really hard to discuss the colonization of the New World (or ancient history, or Middle Eastern history, etc) without teaching slavery, even if the lesson amounted to what we learn about Anglo-Canadian colonization, which amounts to fur trapping, French people, and the Seven Years War.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Berkut

Quote from: Ideologue on November 17, 2016, 04:24:35 PM
Seems like a weird thing not to teach, especially considering Canadians weren't terribly implicated in it, and were at the time part of the major force that put a stop to the trade (the British Empire, which remains problematic but at least took a firm stand against hardcore chattel slavery early on).  At the same time, it seems like it'd be really hard to discuss the colonization of the New World (or ancient history, or Middle Eastern history, etc) without teaching slavery, even if the lesson amounted to what we learn about Anglo-Canadian colonization, which amounts to fur trapping, French people, and the Seven Years War.

I could see it not being taught explicitly, there is a lack of time after all.

What I find laughable is the idea that not mentioning it is somehow akin to denying that blacks owned slaves, and people actually now pretending to be all surprised to find out they did in some cases.

You would have to be pretty willfully obtuse about the history of slavery to not realize that it happened in a huge and varied number of contexts beyond "white Americans owned black Africans fullstopendofstory".
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: derspiess on November 17, 2016, 04:16:19 PM

:lol:

The OP is from an article published in the New Observer Online, a right wing outlet that appears to have some interesting views about race and Nazi Germany at least judging from the book promotions and ads they are running (e.g.: a replica catalog of the 1937 Nazi exhibition on degenerate art, the "March of the Titans: the Complete History of the White Race," "Nova Europa: European Survival Strategy in a Darkening World")   Individual "Facts" from the article were recently quoted by Stormfront.

The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

Siege might be interested to know that the same website that published this gem of factual material also runs pieces attacking America's "illegal aid to Israel":
http://newobserveronline.com/suit-usisrael-aid-advances/

The article includes a picture with the helpful caption:
Quote: How the Jewish lobby works: Anti-Defamation League chief Jonathan Greenblatt, right, head of a so-called "civil rights" organization, was one of the enthusiastic attendees at the signing of the $38 billion handover to the Jews-only state of Israel. The Jewish state, which Greenblatt and the ADL of course support, has racially-based immigration and citizenship policies, and builds walls to keep out non-Jews—all policies which Greenblatt and the Jewish lobby opposes in America and all European nations.

It's a nice companion to the anti-semitic book promotions placed liberally around the site.

Congrats on your new "friends" Siege.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

derspiess

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 17, 2016, 04:41:33 PM

:lol:

The OP is from an article published in the New Observer Online, a right wing outlet that appears to have some interesting views about race and Nazi Germany at least judging from the book promotions and ads they are running (e.g.: a replica catalog of the 1937 Nazi exhibition on degenerate art, the "March of the Titans: the Complete History of the White Race," "Nova Europa: European Survival Strategy in a Darkening World")   Individual "Facts" from the article were recently quoted by Stormfront.

Okay, then take that up with Siege.  Berkut was going full Berkut on me for just saying I thought the topic was an interesting historical quirk.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

The Brain

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 17, 2016, 04:48:22 PM
Siege might be interested to know that the same website that published this gem of factual material also runs pieces attacking America's "illegal aid to Israel":
http://newobserveronline.com/suit-usisrael-aid-advances/

The article includes a picture with the helpful caption:
Quote: How the Jewish lobby works: Anti-Defamation League chief Jonathan Greenblatt, right, head of a so-called "civil rights" organization, was one of the enthusiastic attendees at the signing of the $38 billion handover to the Jews-only state of Israel. The Jewish state, which Greenblatt and the ADL of course support, has racially-based immigration and citizenship policies, and builds walls to keep out non-Jews—all policies which Greenblatt and the Jewish lobby opposes in America and all European nations.

It's a nice companion to the anti-semitic book promotions placed liberally around the site.

Congrats on your new "friends" Siege.

Yes fight among yourselves, that's not at all what they want. :rolleyes:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: The Brain on November 17, 2016, 04:58:46 PM

Silly man, arguing is not fighting.  Jews argue for exercise.
--Joan Robinson

Admiral Yi

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 17, 2016, 05:09:33 PM

A very agonistic culture. :yes:

Jacob

Because it is.

Why are you trying to make it non-political?

The Brain

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 17, 2016, 05:09:33 PM
Quote from: The Brain on November 17, 2016, 04:58:46 PM

Is there anything Jews can't do? :)
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

derspiess

Quote from: Jacob on November 17, 2016, 05:12:01 PM
Because it is.

Why are you trying to make it non-political?

Umm because my post on page 1 was apolitical.  As were my subsequent posts.  I made a casual observation and you guys seem to want to tie me to some alt right BS.