News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: Syt on October 26, 2020, 10:51:29 AM
Btw, does anyone else find that certain turns of phrase feel "tainted", because they immediately remind you of Trump?

"like never before"/"like nobody's ever seen before"
"like you wouldn't believe"
"I'm the least racist person"
"some say ..."
"people say ..."
etc.

Yes, but it's not like they were commonly used before Trump.  "Sad" is another one.  So is "the failing [whatever]."  None of those expressions were common in American English before Trump and they will return to being uncommon once we have a President who speaks adult-level English again.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Barrister

Has anyone read about the now-dropped plan by the Trump admin to give Santa performers an early access to a vaccine as part of trying to promote vaccine use.

https://arstechnica.com/science/2020/10/santas-scrooged-by-trump-admin-after-bizarre-vaccine-deal-goes-south/
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

celedhring

Quote from: Syt on October 26, 2020, 12:39:26 PM

I spent an unreasonable amount of time checking out whether the woman in the photo was actually Melania.  :tinfoil:

Valmy

This fake Melania thing reminds me a bit of the fake double Vladimir Putin conspiracy theory. We are becoming more like Russia all the time.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

grumbler

Quote from: Barrister on October 26, 2020, 01:18:59 PM
Has anyone read about the now-dropped plan by the Trump admin to give Santa performers an early access to a vaccine as part of trying to promote vaccine use.

https://arstechnica.com/science/2020/10/santas-scrooged-by-trump-admin-after-bizarre-vaccine-deal-goes-south/

You mean the other insane plan by the insane guy who literally had to leave Trump-appointed his job because he was insane?

Trump sure can pick the winners!
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

katmai

Quote from: grumbler on October 26, 2020, 02:39:14 PM

You mean the other insane plan by the insane guy who literally had to leave Trump-appointed his job because he was insane?

only the best people.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Barrister

Quote from: grumbler on October 26, 2020, 02:39:14 PM

:yes:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Grey Fox on November 08, 2016, 11:04:30 PM
The appointment of 4 reactionary conservative Supreme Court judges scaling back 60+ years of Social progress.

3 month to go, hopefully, and only 1 judge left.

I hope the Dems actually start playing the game.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Admiral Yi

Senate confirms Barnett 52-48.  Collins votes no.

Sheilbh

Only surprise is Murkowski - I really don't get her position. I think this will backfire and radicalise Democrats a lot.

Edit: Also I wouldn't be surprised if it radicalised John Roberts into moving from Anthony Kennedy territory to David Souter territory. (Although of course Roberts is basically irrelevant now.)
Let's bomb Russia!

Oexmelin

Quote from: Sheilbh on October 26, 2020, 08:08:37 PM
Only surprise is Murkowski - I really don't get her position. I think this will backfire and radicalise Democrats a lot.

Packing the court was quite a radical option once. I am not sure it is anymore. Everyone I know knew the fight was lost anyway and she would be confirmed. The arguments about the undue influence of Republicans representing a minority of Americans are making inroads.
Que le grand cric me croque !

DGuller

I really hope that Democrats get a Manchin-proof Senate majority.  It's almost as important as the presidency.  I also hope that the Senate control wouldn't be decided by a Supreme Court whose power is very much in balance as a result of these elections.