And we're back!

Main Menu

What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FunkMonk

Quote from: Sheilbh on October 24, 2020, 09:01:40 PM
Interesting piece on the GOP post-Trump (whether in 2020 or 2024):
https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2020/11/02/the-republican-identity-crisis-after-trump

It seems like a good outline of what we're likely to see - but there could be surprises (like Trump himself) that upend that. At the minute I feel like a Remnant-Restorationist coalition is most likely.

Interesting piece. I think that if the party can shear off its overt race-baiting then the reversalist position is more likely in the long run. If.

A future GOP based mainly on a working class-evangelical alliance while the Dems capture the remaining Rockefeller Republicans and the business establishment would be interesting.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Syt

Instead of trying to salvage the GOP, why dont "normal" conservatives go and found a new party? If ever there was a time to do it, and have it be a success, wouldn't it be now? I'm sure a lot of voters would be happy to ditch the crazy. :unsure:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

DGuller

Quote from: Syt on October 25, 2020, 12:05:52 AM
I'm sure a lot of voters would be happy to ditch the crazy. :unsure:
I'm not so sure.  A fascist GOP is exactly how a lot of voters want it.  I know a lot of people that look and sound respectable, and yet will say in confidence that America as a concept worked because it was a white country.  You can sort of follow where that train of thought leads, and to what length people would go to defend white supremacy. I'm sure they'll prefer to defend it democratically, but if that won't work, they're not going to give up on their country, because that's what's at stake for them.

Eddie Teach

I don't know any that would say that, but they would say America was better as a Christian country.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Syt

Trump saved Christmas!

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1320051341415284736?s=20

QuoteTrump: "Remember when I first started campaigning, department stores, they wouldn't use the words 'Merry Christmas'? They'd say 'Happy New Year' ... And I said, they will soon start saying 'Merry Christmas' again. Now they're all saying 'Merry Christmas' again, right?"
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

The Brain

Do they say MC already in Spooktober? I mean, putting up the merch, sure.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Syt

Quote from: The Brain on October 25, 2020, 05:43:37 AM
Do they say MC already in Spooktober? I mean, putting up the merch, sure.

Nope, it's still Covid O'Clock.

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1320053682759663622

Quote"That's all I hear about now. Turn on TV, 'Covid, Covid, Covid Covid Covid.' A plane goes down, 500 people dead, they don't talk about it. 'Covid Covid Covid Covid.' By the way, on November 4th, you won't hear about it anymore ... 'please don't go and vote, Covid!'" -- Trump
—Stephen Jay Gould

The Larch

In the latest "people on Twitter have way too much time in their hands", it seems that, in a number of public appearances lately, Trump was not actually joined by Melania but by a lookalike or several.

Solmyr

Yeah, the real Melania would never hold his hand.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Sheilbh

I think of all conspiracy theories Fake Melania is my favourite because it's basically harmless and quite funny.
Let's bomb Russia!

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould

The Minsky Moment

The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Syt

Btw, does anyone else find that certain turns of phrase feel "tainted", because they immediately remind you of Trump?

"like never before"/"like nobody's ever seen before"
"like you wouldn't believe"
"I'm the least racist person"
"some say ..."
"people say ..."
etc.
—Stephen Jay Gould