News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Minsky Moment

Any judge writing the opinion Kavanaugh wrote would be a target for criticism because it unnecessarily and gratuitously echoed talking points of the Trump campaign.  The fact that it was Kavanaugh, already perceived as being partisan in a political sense, just adds fuel.  It also raises questions about why those points were raised.  The Wisconsin decision was easily justifiable based on the Purcell precedent holding that federal courts should refrain from last minute changes to state election rules.  Kavanaugh cited and relied on that principle but then went off on a tangent about the substantive benefits of a strict election day receipt cutoff. Application of Purcell  would suggest the GOP challenge to Pennsylvania would fail - the Kavanaugh opinion looks a lot like an opening shot to flip the result of that case.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

Three coats of spray tan are not going to do the trick.  Better put on a fourth.

grumbler

The chances of the next Senate voting by a two-thirds majority to impeach Kavanaugh are nil, unless he does something overt.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

merithyn

Quote from: Syt on October 29, 2020, 12:42:28 PM
But stuff like this (heh - butt stuff) is why such highly politicized candidated, rammed through after significant controversy, are problematic. They are under a microscope from the other side. Any error they make, will be viewed as either incompetence or partisanship, regardless of whether it's an innocent mistake by them or one of their clerks. And it will reduce the acceptance by the population of their rulings unless they act "cleanly".

IIRC, this is why Thomas rarely speaks. It started as a way to avoid that very thing happening, and became something he relished as his reputation.

Kavanaugh has clearly chosen another route.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: grumbler on October 29, 2020, 01:28:32 PM
The chances of the next Senate voting by a two-thirds majority to impeach Kavanaugh are nil, unless he does something overt.

FYP
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Admiral Yi

Quote from: merithyn on October 29, 2020, 01:37:36 PM
IIRC, this is why Thomas rarely speaks.

I've read it's because he's embarrassed by his Geechee accent.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Oexmelin

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on October 29, 2020, 01:12:21 PM
Any judge writing the opinion Kavanaugh wrote would be a target for criticism because it unnecessarily and gratuitously echoed talking points of the Trump campaign.  The fact that it was Kavanaugh, already perceived as being partisan in a political sense, just adds fuel.

Indeed: "potentially flip the results of an election." flip the result"?!? It would not flip anything. It would be part of the result. 
Que le grand cric me croque !

Razgovory

I thought you only needed a simple majority for people who aren't the President.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

Quote from: Oexmelin on October 29, 2020, 02:18:30 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on October 29, 2020, 01:12:21 PM
Any judge writing the opinion Kavanaugh wrote would be a target for criticism because it unnecessarily and gratuitously echoed talking points of the Trump campaign.  The fact that it was Kavanaugh, already perceived as being partisan in a political sense, just adds fuel.

Indeed: "potentially flip the results of an election." flip the result"?!? It would not flip anything. It would be part of the result. 

Votes being counted could flip the result of an election.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

Quote from: Razgovory on October 29, 2020, 02:22:24 PM

I thought you only needed a simple majority for people who aren't the President.

Nope same rules as the President: majority in the house to impeach, 2/3 in the Senate to remove.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Oexmelin

Quote from: Valmy on October 29, 2020, 02:27:35 PM

No, they wouldn't. It's semantics, but it's important semantics in the context. Votes being counted do not flip the results. They are the results. This way of speaking implies you already have "the" result that is somehow modified by some external, subsequent influence.
Que le grand cric me croque !

Valmy

Quote from: Oexmelin on October 29, 2020, 03:43:22 PM
Quote from: Valmy on October 29, 2020, 02:27:35 PM

No, they wouldn't. It's semantics, but it's important semantics in the context. Votes being counted do not flip the results. They are the results. This way of speaking implies you already have "the" result that is somehow modified by some external, subsequent influence.

Yes, that was the joke. As if the result of an election can be determined separately without counting votes.

I understand that in today's political climate it is hard to say something so stupid and so illogical that people pick up you are not being serious so I understand  :ph34r:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."