News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Monoriu

I would be terrified if I meet them in person.  I would run away or drive away as fast as I could. 

alfred russel

Quote from: Threviel on April 17, 2020, 04:01:26 AM
When I look at those fattish dudes walking around in pseudo-military gear with militaryisch weapons I imagine that they believe the crap about being some kind of militia. I've seen lots of memes in the vein of them seeing themselves the largest army in the world, making invasion of the US impossible and so on.

I would pay good money to see them do human wave attacks against a proper army with artillery and air support. From a distance mind you, shrapnel is dangerous. Fucking idiots.

They are morons. It is a major disappointment because I was hoping that there would be a reasonable protest that could spark some thoughtfulness about whether all the lockdown crap is really needed, but it seems like that is too much.

However, I think most of the militia morons are more worried about our government than a foreign invasion. Iraq and the Taliban are a playbook for how difficult life can be for a major army with a poorly armed insurgency.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Oexmelin

And yet, all the noise that Trump makes about total authority doesn't seem to concern them at all. Shocking.
Que le grand cric me croque !

Threviel

Quote from: alfred russel on April 17, 2020, 09:11:38 AM
When I look at those fattish dudes walking around in pseudo-military gear with militaryisch weapons I imagine that they believe the crap about being some kind of militia. I've seen lots of memes in the vein of them seeing themselves the largest army in the world, making invasion of the US impossible and so on.

I would pay good money to see them do human wave attacks against a proper army with artillery and air support. From a distance mind you, shrapnel is dangerous. Fucking idiots.

They are morons. It is a major disappointment because I was hoping that there would be a reasonable protest that could spark some thoughtfulness about whether all the lockdown crap is really needed, but it seems like that is too much.

However, I think most of the militia morons are more worried about our government than a foreign invasion. Iraq and the Taliban are a playbook for how difficult life can be for a major army with a poorly armed insurgency.

Guerilla war is all fun and games until the the stronger party decides that a Roman peace is good enough.

Valmy

I think American Cops and the American Military would have more sympathy from the American population than they had from the Iraqis and Afghanis however. That might make it hard for the militias.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

mongers

Quote from: Valmy on April 17, 2020, 09:35:28 AM

I think American Cops and the American Military would have more sympathy from the American population than they had from the Iraqis and Afghanis however. That might make it hard for the militias.

Yes last time it didn't work out so well for them, it's just that the victor botched the peace*.

* OMG ACW hijack, by a Brit no less.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Valmy

Well that was different, but even so it was not Reconstruction featured an insurgency against the US Army.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

PRC

Trump tweets in all caps this morning:

LIBERATE MINNESOTA

LIBERATE MICHIGAN

LIBERATE VIRGINIA, and save your great 2nd Amendment. It is under siege!

Then he throws some shade at Cuomo, Biden & Obama, China, and "the States".  This fucking guy...

The Minsky Moment

These people have no clue what historical American militias were or how they functioned, a failing common to what passes for Second Amendment "debate" in America.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Syt

Seems the protesters have at least one fan.

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

alfred russel

Quote from: Valmy on April 17, 2020, 10:04:12 AM
Well that was different, but even so it was not Reconstruction featured an insurgency against the US Army.

It is an interesting point--aside from the protest in question being in Michigan which was decidely not a part of the confederacy (despite some people at that rally flying confederate flags), the confederate army was not a lower class insurgency--if anything it was an upper class movement* and connected to that reason couldn't practically be an insurgent movement.

*while the confederate army was clearly not a bunch of rich dudes, almost half the population was black, so with an all white army even the lowest soldier would have been close to the middle of society.

Reconstruction of course had a lot of violence, but it generally wasn't directed against the US military.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Admiral Yi

merithyn

Quote from: katmai on April 16, 2020, 09:23:03 PM
Quote from: merithyn on April 16, 2020, 08:21:06 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 16, 2020, 10:10:31 AM
Who exactly is it that is hurting so bad?  The WFH guys and the essentials are getting their regular pay checks; the people on UI are making out like bandits.

Who is supposed to eat cake?

Independent contractors aren't getting UI. I know at least three hair stylists who are getting nada from Mother Government. One just qualified for $150/month in food stamps, and that's it. No health insurance, no unemployment, no stimulus checks (in the case of two of them).

I think it's them that wants the cake.
um part of the cares act is for self employed, freelancer and gig workers. Now I don't know how fast the state they are in will implement it (Alaska for example says 2-3 more weeks). But the people are eligible for the $600 + half of what ever the states weekly maximum) till July 31

I think it's as much how hard it is for them to get into the system as anything else. The phones are jammed and the internet system tells them to call in. *shrugs* No idea.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

merithyn

So fun fact. Every summer for two weeks in Butler County, Pennsylvania, the largest private army in the United States gets together and beats each other up with solid bamboo sticks and blunted rapiers. There are roughly 8,000 men and women fighting on a field, wearing medieval armor. It's called Pennsic, and it's the largest war the Society for Creative Anachronism puts on.

I think the second closest "gathering" by these types is 300-ish.

Mind, they have guns, so yeah, they'll mow down a lot of the medievalists, but numbers alone will will in that case. :P

Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Sheilbh

In 2016 he was clearly teeing up the line that he really won the election but a combination of the deep state/Obama and fraud stopped him. I worry about the potential of him doing that if he loses this time round and actually causing some of his supporters to shoot people.
Let's bomb Russia!