And we're back!

Main Menu

What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Larch

Quote from: Sheilbh on December 12, 2019, 03:52:08 PM
:lol:

He's literally the only person in the world who cares about Time's person of the year.

That's apparently been done by his official campaign team, not some strange fanclub.

Oexmelin

Yep.

From Colbert « Not the first time Trump forced himself unto a young woman's body. »
Que le grand cric me croque !

Malthus

Quote from: The Larch on December 13, 2019, 04:22:59 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on December 12, 2019, 03:52:08 PM
:lol:

He's literally the only person in the world who cares about Time's person of the year.

That's apparently been done by his official campaign team, not some strange fanclub.

Do they realize how horrifying this image is?  :huh:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Eddie Teach

They couldn't shrink the head to fit the body?  :lol:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

Quote from: dps on December 12, 2019, 06:10:51 PM
Quote from: viper37 on December 12, 2019, 02:51:42 AM
Quote from: dps on December 11, 2019, 05:56:01 PM
I'm an Irish-American;  Irish is my ethnicity, but American is my nationality.  Irish is not my nationality.
how racist.  To pretend you're not identical to the majority... Valmy and others will be profundly disturbed by such a revelation of ethnic nationalism :P

But that's my point.  I don't think nationalism is a bad thing (at least partly because I don't think that globalism or internationalism are realistic alternatives--the alternative most people would turn to would be tribalism IMO), so my primary political loyalty is to the US, not to Ireland or Irish culture.

A couple things:

1. I am not really sure "globalism" or "internationalism" are actual things. I mean if anybody would by sympathetic to those ideas around here it would be me, but I am not sure these are actual movements I could join. I mean I get that globalisation and international cooperation are economic and political strategies, I only ever hear them as philosophies or identities as strawmen to create conspiracy theories around. I mean I think it is best the groups of likeminded countries group together with treaties and agreements. I get that some people hate that, but it is not really an alternative to nationalism as it doesn't have an identity component for people to latch on to.

2. When I say nationalism I mean a political identity that has an ethnic or cultural or religious component. The US doesn't really have that (or is not supposed to have it anyway). Now that is what people have meant historically by nationalism so that is the word I use to describe that thing. So hence if I am talking about American Nationalists I usually mean white or black nationalists. People who insist you have to be Christian to really be American. That sort of thing. The fact that people try to conflate that term with being politically loyal to your country is annoying, but understandable. It is a confusing term. But that is what I mean when I say it. I feel like I need to put that in my signature or something.

3. Generally while I certainly consider myself an American and want what is best for it, my political loyalty is a little different. Obviously I support the Constitution and the institutions of the United States and will defend them. However I cannot help but notice that some people in our country who talk about their love for America and how they put America first seem awfully quick to praise Boris Johnson and curse me and talk about having a civil war where they can shoot me. Excuse me if I fail to feel like I am being put first here :P. I generally consider my political friends to be anybody in the world who agrees with my political values, they may or may not be Americans. I generally think everybody actually believes this based on their behavior, despite their protestations that they put their countrymen first.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Eddie Teach

Whatchu talking about, America certainly has a culture we can feel nationalistic about.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Eddie Teach on December 13, 2019, 11:22:57 AM
Whatchu talking about, America certainly has a culture we can feel nationalistic about.

What would you say that is?  One thing that is striking when travelling around the US, like Canada, is the differences across regions.

Zoupa

Don't say it Zoups. Just don't say it.

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on December 13, 2019, 12:00:50 PM

What would you say that is?  One thing that is striking when travelling around the US, like Canada, is the differences across regions.

I think you say that as someone who lives here - the differences between the regions is much more striking as a resident.  But other countries have regions to: the difference between London, the north of England, and Scotland is pretty striking.  Having two students from Spain now, it sounds like there are some big differences between Valencia and Bilbao.

But really, I think the difference between Vancouver, and rural maritimes, is a lot less than the difference between Canada and the UK.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

Like I said we are not supposed to be about that...
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Eddie Teach

Sounds like a retcon, we're the same country that came up with "Manifest Destiny" after all.

Valmy

Quote from: Eddie Teach on December 13, 2019, 01:24:38 PM
Sounds like a retcon, we're the same country that came up with "Manifest Destiny" after all.

Yes. As a way to prevent European colonization.

Anyway it is not a retcon. Know-Nothing style nativism is the retcon -_-

Tonitrus

Quote from: Malthus on December 13, 2019, 07:56:42 AM

Do they realize how horrifying this image is?  :huh:

That's how the political culture is now.

"Trump's trolling makes liberal's heads explode in outrage? lulz"

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on December 13, 2019, 12:49:01 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on December 13, 2019, 12:00:50 PM

I think you say that as someone who lives here - the differences between the regions is much more striking as a resident.  But other countries have regions to: the difference between London, the north of England, and Scotland is pretty striking.  Having two students from Spain now, it sounds like there are some big differences between Valencia and Bilbao.

But really, I think the difference between Vancouver, and rural maritimes, is a lot less than the difference between Canada and the UK.

Ok, what would you say the one unifying culture Canada has?