What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

The unwillingness to admit they're culturally American.  :P
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Tonitrus

Malthus

Quote from: Tonitrus on December 13, 2019, 05:04:36 PM
Quote from: Malthus on December 13, 2019, 07:56:42 AM

Do they realize how horrifying this image is?  :huh:

That's how the political culture is now.

"Trump's trolling makes liberal's heads explode in outrage? lulz"

I guess ... to me, it looks like some kid suffering from an awful degenerative disease.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Malthus

Quote from: crazy canuck on December 13, 2019, 05:19:53 PM
Quote from: Barrister on December 13, 2019, 12:49:01 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on December 13, 2019, 12:00:50 PM
Quote from: Eddie Teach on December 13, 2019, 11:22:57 AM
Whatchu talking about, America certainly has a culture we can feel nationalistic about.

What would you say that is?  One thing that is striking when travelling around the US, like Canada, is the differences across regions.

I think you say that as someone who lives here - the differences between the regions is much more striking as a resident.  But other countries have regions to: the difference between London, the north of England, and Scotland is pretty striking.  Having two students from Spain now, it sounds like there are some big differences between Valencia and Bilbao.

But really, I think the difference between Vancouver, and rural maritimes, is a lot less than the difference between Canada and the UK.

Ok, what would you say the one unifying culture Canada has?

Peace, Order and Good Government.

Canada has all the usual tensions - between regions, linguistic, ethnic, etc. That's no different from anywhere else, really.

What makes us different is that, for whatever cultural reason, Canadians of all sorts (so far) have bought into POGG. 

Our neighbours to the south, and the UK, have created political and cultural systems in which the concerns of POGG do not figure largely; in which nationalist and tribal pride is more important.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Malthus

Quote from: The Brain on December 13, 2019, 05:59:56 PM
Eh?

The American equivalent of "peace, order and good government" is "life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness".

The two phrases neatly summarize the differences in outlook between the two - the US is more focused on individualism as the highest good; the Canadian, more focused on community. To the Americans. Canadians seem boring; to Canadians, the Americans seem dangerously anarchistic and lacking in principle.

Recent political events have made the differences starker than ever. Trump would not be tolerated in Canada, for example. 

Malthus

Quote from: garbon on December 13, 2019, 06:24:34 PM
Oh Canada. :lol:

I'd laugh at America, but frankly, what is happening there isn't funny.  :(

Sheilbh

:lol:

I don't know what the British equivalent is. Rum, sodomy and keeping the Catholics down? :mellow:
Let's bomb Russia!

crazy canuck

Quote from: Malthus on December 13, 2019, 05:57:12 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on December 13, 2019, 05:19:53 PM
Quote from: Barrister on December 13, 2019, 12:49:01 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on December 13, 2019, 12:00:50 PM
Quote from: Eddie Teach on December 13, 2019, 11:22:57 AM
Whatchu talking about, America certainly has a culture we can feel nationalistic about.

What would you say that is?  One thing that is striking when travelling around the US, like Canada, is the differences across regions.

I think you say that as someone who lives here - the differences between the regions is much more striking as a resident.  But other countries have regions to: the difference between London, the north of England, and Scotland is pretty striking.  Having two students from Spain now, it sounds like there are some big differences between Valencia and Bilbao.

But really, I think the difference between Vancouver, and rural maritimes, is a lot less than the difference between Canada and the UK.

Ok, what would you say the one unifying culture Canada has?

Peace, Order and Good Government.

Canada has all the usual tensions - between regions, linguistic, ethnic, etc. That's no different from anywhere else, really.

What makes us different is that, for whatever cultural reason, Canadians of all sorts (so far) have bought into POGG. 

Our neighbours to the south, and the UK, have created political and cultural systems in which the concerns of POGG do not figure largely; in which nationalist and tribal pride is more important.

Good point. 

Tonitrus

Quote from: Sheilbh on December 13, 2019, 06:42:49 PM

I don't know what the British equivalent is. Rum, sodomy and keeping the Catholics down? :mellow:

Keep Calm and Carry On.

Though I think you're lacking in "Calm" these days.  :P

Sheilbh

Yeah. We've moved entirely into the Carry On phase of Britsh history :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

Zoupa

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Tonitrus on December 13, 2019, 07:19:02 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on December 13, 2019, 06:42:49 PM

Keep Calm and Carry On.

Though I think you're lacking in "Calm" these days.  :P

How about Mind the Gap?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?