News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

My hope is that both of my kids just stay apolitical until at least late high school.  Or at the very least, no Che shirts or MAGA hats.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Habbaku

There's little more embarrassing than listening to your own political opinions as a high-schooler ten years after the fact.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

crazy canuck

Quote from: derspiess on May 08, 2019, 11:23:48 AM
My hope is that both of my kids just stay apolitical until at least late high school.  Or at the very least, no Che shirts or MAGA hats.

Why?

The Brain

Quote from: Habbaku on May 08, 2019, 12:35:16 PM
There's little more embarrassing than listening to your own political opinions as a high-schooler ten years after the fact.

:huh:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

derspiess

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 08, 2019, 12:38:55 PM

Why?

Political atmosphere is toxic these days and I don't want to see them get sucked into it too early.  Also don't want them to be one of those insufferable teens that think they know everything and try to lecture adults.

"There's a time and a place for everything, and it's called college."
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

garbon

Quote from: derspiess on May 08, 2019, 01:54:36 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on May 08, 2019, 12:38:55 PM

Why?

Political atmosphere is toxic these days and I don't want to see them get sucked into it too early.  Also don't want them to be one of those insufferable teens that think they know everything and try to lecture adults.

"There's a time and a place for everything, and it's called college."

Oddly enough the bit in bold is the reason the kid in the story noted for how he fell into the alt-right.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

I completely agree with Spicey on this. I am concerned one of my kids will become a political radical as a teen. I mean at the very least they might leave a toxic or embarrassing social media record they will have to deal with the rest of their lives.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

crazy canuck

Well the alternative is raising kids who are unaware of the world around them and ill equipped to become full participants in the democratic process.  So basically like most North Americans. But is is a shame people actively wish their kids to turn out that way.

Valmy

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 08, 2019, 02:33:31 PM
Well the alternative is raising kids who are unaware of the world around them and ill equipped to become full participants in the democratic process.  So basically like most North Americans. But is is a shame people actively wish their kids to turn out that way.

That is the only alternative to becoming a member of the alt right?

Edit: Oh you meant the apolitical thing. Well look in my family voting is absolutely a requirement and we often talk about who we are voting for in front of my kids and why. I made sure we all voted in the recent City Council elections and researched who we were going to vote for and the candidate we supported won by one vote. So I think that made an impact on my kids as far as the importance of political engagement. But you don't need to become some kind of internet radical just to be informed enough to cast a meaningful vote in every election.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on May 08, 2019, 02:35:28 PM

The premise you are agreeing with is you hope your kids will be apolitical.

Valmy

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 08, 2019, 02:36:06 PM

The premise you are agreeing with is you hope your kids will be apolitical.

Yeah I realized that and edited my post.

crazy canuck

Edit: Oh you meant the apolitical thing. Well look in my family voting is absolutely a requirement and we often talk about who we are voting for in front of my kids and why. I made sure we all voted in the recent City Council elections and researched who we were going to vote for and the candidate we supported won by one vote. So I think that made an impact on my kids as far as the importance of political engagement. But you don't need to become some kind of internet radical just to be informed enough to cast a meaningful vote in every election.

Agreed.  And good for you.  I think the greatest risk of raising kids who will become radicalized is actively raising them to be apolitical.  Spicey is about to find out about unintended consequences.

Barrister

Yeah, I'm trying to raise my kids to know who politicians are, why I vote one way and not another, but without demonizing those I disagree with.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

The Brain

Quote from: Habbaku on May 08, 2019, 12:47:06 PM
:huh:

My political position in high school was pretty much the same as now.

Shut up! :angry:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.