What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfred russel

Quote from: Tamas on May 09, 2019, 09:58:39 AM
Couldn't think of a better thread for this:

QuoteThe plan proposed today by Sen. Bernie Sanders and Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez would cap credit card interest rates at 15%,

What, on Earth, would that accomplish, exactly? It would entice stupid people to spend more on credit which in turn would make banks lower credit card limits. I guess that might serve people's interest, but I am sure Cortez and Sanders would be along demanind the raising of card limits to fight evil banks and reckless capitalism.

I don't get your animosity to it, actually. I assume you agree there should be a cap. Debating whether the cap should be 15%, 25%, or 35% seems kind of technocratic.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

derspiess

But 15% is ridiculous and will shut out a lot of people.  Then we'd hear how these evil credit card banks don't want to help certain people establish credit.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

alfred russel

Quote from: derspiess on May 09, 2019, 12:23:27 PM
But 15% is ridiculous and will shut out a lot of people.  Then we'd hear how these evil credit card banks don't want to help certain people establish credit.

The rate on 30 year US treasuries (roughly a risk free long term rate) is less than 3%. If banks can't make a profit lending to people at 15%, maybe they shouldn't be lending to those people.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Berkut

The banking deregulation that took place that allowed interest rates on consumer credit to skyrocket hasn't served anyone except that banks.

I am pretty hsotile to regulation in general, but in a practical sense. I think regulations need to serve a positive purpose that outweighs their inherent friction.

But the right, as in all right issues these days, has turned this into an article of faith. Regulation is just plain bad, and getting rid of regulation is a good, regardless of the regulation.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

The Minsky Moment

AR has a good point.  When interbank lending rates are in the 6-8% range, a 15% interest rate is not that extreme; but when benchmark rates are 2-3 percent, 15 percent is extremely high.  It's hard to see a strategy that requires higher rates for profitability, other than deliberately lending to people on the assumption they will default on principal, but not before paying off such large amounts of interest as to make it profitable even assuming a principal write-off.  That doesn't seem like a transaction with high social value.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

crazy canuck

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on May 09, 2019, 01:04:53 PM
AR has a good point.  When interbank lending rates are in the 6-8% range, a 15% interest rate is not that extreme; but when benchmark rates are 2-3 percent, 15 percent is extremely high.  It's hard to see a strategy that requires higher rates for profitability, other than deliberately lending to people on the assumption they will default on principal, but not before paying off such large amounts of interest as to make it profitable even assuming a principal write-off.  That doesn't seem like a transaction with high social value.

Add to the analysis the money made from the transaction fees charged to merchants and the argument for needing a rate higher than 15% becomes very difficult to make.

There have been attempt to regulate the industry in Canada over the years - all without success. 

dps

Quote from: Berkut on May 09, 2019, 12:52:58 PM
The banking deregulation that took place that allowed interest rates on consumer credit to skyrocket hasn't served anyone except that banks.

I am pretty hsotile to regulation in general, but in a practical sense. I think regulations need to serve a positive purpose that outweighs their inherent friction.

But the right, as in all right issues these days, has turned this into an article of faith. Regulation is just plain bad, and getting rid of regulation is a good, regardless of the regulation.

FWIW, I'm not opposed to all regulation.  I would agree with your position that regulations need to serve a positive purpose that outweigh their cost, though we might well agree in many cases on whether or not a particular regulation meets that standard.

viper37

Quote from: alfred russel on May 09, 2019, 12:33:23 PM

The rate on 30 year US treasuries (roughly a risk free long term rate) is less than 3%. If banks can't make a profit lending to people at 15%, maybe they shouldn't be lending to those people.
that's the thing.  Credit card defaults and late payments are common.  The banks have to take these losses into account.  If the rate is capped at 15%, it means a lot of people won't get credit cards, or would require a guarantor.  Since credit cards are used to build a credit history and many lending institutions would simply refuse a loan if the borrower has no credit history.

Lots of things would have to changed, and it is likely that regular bank loans would have increased interest rates to offset these losses.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Malthus

Quote from: viper37 on May 09, 2019, 01:25:29 PM

that's the thing.  Credit card defaults and late payments are common.  The banks have to take these losses into account.  If the rate is capped at 15%, it means a lot of people won't get credit cards, or would require a guarantor.  Since credit cards are used to build a credit history and many lending institutions would simply refuse a loan if the borrower has no credit history.

Lots of things would have to changed, and it is likely that regular bank loans would have increased interest rates to offset these losses.

Do we know at what rate these problems will happen, or are we just assuming here?

Could the same arguments be made if the cap was set as 30%? Or at anything?
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

crazy canuck

Quote from: Malthus on May 09, 2019, 01:29:25 PM
Quote from: viper37 on May 09, 2019, 01:25:29 PM

Do we know at what rate these problems will happen, or are we just assuming here?

Could the same arguments be made if the cap was set as 30%? Or at anything?

Banking financial statements lump credit card income with all other banking services so it is hard to tease out the data but iirc from the last round of hearings regarding attempted regulation, it is highly profitable.

Admiral Yi

In addition to what viper said, a fixed nominal cap doesn't account for the possiblity of inflation.

The Minsky Moment

Cap = 5 X federal discount rate.

Problem solved.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Valmy

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on May 09, 2019, 02:51:24 PM

Problem solved.

I approve of this technocratic approach -_-

Though there is no legal limit I think you almost never see one higher than 29.99% so a limit in the 20s somewhere could probably be done without seriously limiting credit while potentially benefiting consumers. So maybe 7x or 8x would be better...I mean so long as we have a limit.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Admiral Yi

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on May 09, 2019, 02:51:24 PM

Problem solved.

A problem potentially solved, though you would have some interesting results when the discount rate approaches zero.

derspiess

If banks can't make a profit lending to people at 15%, maybe they shouldn't be lending to those people.

They won't lend to those people, don't worry.  Those people will have a much tougher time getting credit.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall