What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Monoriu

Quote from: dps on May 08, 2019, 10:32:05 PM
In the US, some janitors make more money than office workers. And the office worker is more likely to get replaced by a machine.  And the idea that you have to study hard to be an office worker is laughable.  Maybe not in HK, but in the US, and I would assume elsewhere in the West.

I don't know.  I find it difficult to believe that a janitor makes more than a surgeon, even in the US. 

Barrister

Quote from: Monoriu on May 08, 2019, 10:37:10 PM
In the US, some janitors make more money than office workers. And the office worker is more likely to get replaced by a machine.  And the idea that you have to study hard to be an office worker is laughable.  Maybe not in HK, but in the US, and I would assume elsewhere in the West.

I don't know.  I find it difficult to believe that a janitor makes more than a surgeon, even in the US.

No.  But the notion that working in an office means making as much as a surgeon is laughable in North America.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

PRC

Quote from: Monoriu on May 08, 2019, 10:13:22 PM
She needs to have this conversation with her son on a quarterly basis starting from the age of 6. 

I will not be able to support you forever.  You must aim to be financially independent when you grow up.  You and you alone is responsible for this.  No one will help you. 

How do you plan to make enough money to buy the food, shelter and all the other stuff that you need?  Remember, many jobs will be replaced by machines, and you will need to compete with the entire world.  Do you really want to end up as beggars?  The homeless? A janitor who makes minimum wage?  Getting ridiculed and looked down upon because you ask for handouts?  Is it really fun to be broke, cold and hungry? 

If not, study hard and become an office worker.  This is difficult but doable.  Only you can help yourself.  There is nobody else to depend on.  Study and work.  Everything else is a distraction. 

Office worker, or janitor.  Now make up your mind. 

Janitors may experience joy while surviving.  They may even, at the end of their long lives, feel content and without significant regret.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Oexmelin on May 08, 2019, 09:41:23 PM
No, she's a parent who went through something awful: the alienation of a beloved one. But she remains a parent, trying to paint her son, and her parenting, in favorable light, as well as to write an "inspiring" true story. And for that, it's easier to lay the bulk of the blame at the feet of institutions and their administrators, as well as internet political predators. Her own faults conforms to beloved tropes of "true story" narratives: she didn't listen to her son's needs enough. She refused to see him grow. And when she finally did, he came back to her. It's basically written to appeal to the "concerned parent" sensibilities of our time. I can see why Tamas could think it's made up.

But I think there may be some reason to question the role that the "concerned parent" sensibilities of our time may play in our political moment.

Anywhere outside of academia this would be called an unfounded assumption.

garbon

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 08, 2019, 06:23:28 PM
Quote from: garbon on May 08, 2019, 08:33:02 AM
Is there any evidence the claim was actually false?

We have the son's version as recounted by his mother.

Not exactly evidence then. In the article, she doesn't even it present it as what he told her but rather as a summary of what occurred.

Also, her/his description of what happened is actually the most unclear part of the entire narrative. Up to and including why her son's ordeal wasn't over when the girl didn't accept his apology.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Oexmelin

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 08, 2019, 11:31:45 PM
Anywhere outside of academia this would be called an unfounded assumption.

Everywhere, including in academia, would a personal narrative be considered for what it is: a personal narrative.
Que le grand cric me croque !

Admiral Yi

Quote from: garbon on May 08, 2019, 11:39:21 PM
Not exactly evidence then.

By that token we don't have any actual evidence that a girl filed a complaint.

dps

I said that some janitors make more than office workers.  I said nothing about surgeons.  But at least it takes a lot of study to become a surgeon;  in the US, a lot of office workers have nothing beyond a high school diploma or a GED;  some don't even have that.

Tamas

Quote from: Barrister on May 08, 2019, 11:06:35 PM

No.  But the notion that working in an office means making as much as a surgeon is laughable in North America.

Not in Hungary though, because salaries in healthcare are horrifingly low.  :lol:

garbon

Quote from: dps on May 09, 2019, 12:39:36 AM

I said that some janitors make more than office workers.  I said nothing about surgeons.  But at least it takes a lot of study to become a surgeon;  in the US, a lot of office workers have nothing beyond a high school diploma or a GED;  some don't even have that.

I suppose it depends on industry. I've encountered/had as an employee just one person who didn't have a university degree in offices I've worked (inclusive of secretaries and receptionists).
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

DGuller

You're treating office workers as if they are a single profession.

Tamas

Couldn't think of a better thread for this:

QuoteThe plan proposed today by Sen. Bernie Sanders and Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez would cap credit card interest rates at 15%,

What, on Earth, would that accomplish, exactly? It would entice stupid people to spend more on credit which in turn would make banks lower credit card limits. I guess that might serve people's interest, but I am sure Cortez and Sanders would be along demanind the raising of card limits to fight evil banks and reckless capitalism.

Valmy

I am just glad to see the fight against un-Christian usury continues.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Savonarola

Quote from: Tamas on May 09, 2019, 09:58:39 AM
Couldn't think of a better thread for this:

QuoteThe plan proposed today by Sen. Bernie Sanders and Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez would cap credit card interest rates at 15%,

What, on Earth, would that accomplish, exactly? It would entice stupid people to spend more on credit which in turn would make banks lower credit card limits. I guess that might serve people's interest, but I am sure Cortez and Sanders would be along demanind the raising of card limits to fight evil banks and reckless capitalism.

I think it would make it more difficult for people with poor credit scores to get a credit card in the first place (which, in turn, would make it more difficult for them to re-establish good credit.)
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Tamas

Hey, at least it would create 3-4 new problems they could start bravely fighting against!