What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 09, 2019, 03:06:52 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on May 09, 2019, 02:51:24 PM
Cap = 5 X federal discount rate.

Problem solved.

A problem potentially solved, though you would have some interesting results when the discount rate approaches zero.

Cap can't go lower than 12%
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Tamas

You know what happens when people with bad/horrible credit rating can't get credit/loan from banks because they are deemed too risky? They go to loan sharks, that's what. The past decade it became an epidemic in the rural poor parts of Hungary where of course no sane bank would ever give credit to a living soul.

If there's a demand for something, you can't just regulate that away. You can only drive it underground.

And the primary problem here is people either choosing or forced to live on fucking credit. If you have a problem with that, try to reduce that, don't try to make it cheaper for them to get said credit.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on May 09, 2019, 03:54:42 PM
Cap can't go lower than 12%

Then we write off the high risk/no credit history people who need a card, and we're good to go. :cheers:

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Tamas on May 09, 2019, 03:57:39 PM
You know what happens when people with bad/horrible credit rating can't get credit/loan from banks because they are deemed too risky? They go to loan sharks, that's what.

What happens when people with horrible credit borrow from the Bank of Fancy Suits at 25%, inevitably fall behind on payments, and then get with enforcement actions against the now inflated principal?
Don't they go to the same loan sharks for the same reasons?  Only for a now larger sum that is even harder to repay?
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Admiral Yi

What law of nature compels people to build up a balance?  I missed that lecture.

Tamas

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on May 09, 2019, 04:10:54 PM
Quote from: Tamas on May 09, 2019, 03:57:39 PM
You know what happens when people with bad/horrible credit rating can't get credit/loan from banks because they are deemed too risky? They go to loan sharks, that's what.

What happens when people with horrible credit borrow from the Bank of Fancy Suits at 25%, inevitably fall behind on payments, and then get with enforcement actions against the now inflated principal?
Don't they go to the same loan sharks for the same reasons?  Only for a now larger sum that is even harder to repay?

So you are saying they are better off going off the grid sooner? :yeahright:

Oexmelin

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 09, 2019, 04:17:48 PM
What law of nature compels people to build up a balance?  I missed that lecture.

Poverty
Que le grand cric me croque !

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Tamas on May 09, 2019, 04:55:44 PM
So you are saying they are better off going off the grid sooner? :yeahright:

I'm saying the problem of loan sharks isn't solved by making loan sharkery legal when it's done by guys wearing a tie instead of track suits.
--Joan Robinson

crazy canuck

Why do you think credit card debt is as high as it is?

dps

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 09, 2019, 05:34:19 PM

Because real incomes have been stagnant or even declined for many people over the past 40-some years?

crazy canuck

Quote from: dps on May 09, 2019, 05:44:52 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on May 09, 2019, 05:34:19 PM

Because real incomes have been stagnant or even declined for many people over the past 40-some years?

Yes, while the real cost of living has gone up.  That would be my guess also.  Wondering what Yi thinks.

PDH

Quote from: dps on May 09, 2019, 05:44:52 PM

And productivity has also risen along with prices!  Win win!
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Oexmelin on May 09, 2019, 05:13:50 PM
Poverty

I'm guessing there are at least two or three people in poverty who have not run up an unpayable credit card balance, so that's not quite a law of nature nor inevitable, but leaving that aside let's take a look at the trade off you're endorsing.

People run up balances because their expenditures are higher than their income.  You would compel forced budgeting.  I suppose that's defensible.  The tradeoff of course is cutting out those people (in poverty or otherwise) who spend within their means but use the flexibility of credit for an occaisonal indulgence or emergency that they then amortize over a period of time.  Not to mention the difficulty of making online purchases without a credit card.

So I'm OK with denying those things to poor people, or people with no credit history, or people with bad credit, but don't complain about credit card issuers "gaming the system" when this happens.

Oexmelin

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 09, 2019, 06:16:46 PM
I'm guessing there are at least two or three people in poverty who have not run up an unpayable credit card balance, so that's not quite a law of nature nor inevitable, but leaving that aside let's take a look at the trade off you're endorsing.

I don't know what you are talking about.
Que le grand cric me croque !