What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Berkut

Quote from: derspiess on May 15, 2019, 09:09:40 PM
And true.

Well, I am sure you would not say something like that without some examples of how my stance has changed, such that I clearly "do not actually care about freedom".

Find me one example on one specific topic, should be easy, given your certainty about my views.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

derspiess

Quote from: Berkut on May 16, 2019, 12:10:39 PM
And true.

Well, I am sure you would not say something like that without some examples of how my stance has changed, such that I clearly "do not actually care about freedom".

Find me one example on one specific topic, should be easy, given your certainty about my views.

You already pretty much did in the post Brain quoted.  Are you claiming you have not changed your opinion on expanding the role of government in the past 20 or so years?
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

The Minsky Moment

I did not realize that our brave patriot forefathers fought and died for the treasured freedom to borrow money at 40%

Oh wait, that's because they didn't.  Most or all the colonies and then states had strict usury laws and the founders drafted a constitution permitting commercial regulation.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

crazy canuck

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on May 16, 2019, 12:45:39 PM
I did not realize that our brave patriot forefathers fought and died for the treasured freedom to borrow money at 40%

Oh wait, that's because they didn't.  Most or all the colonies and then states had strict usury laws and the founders drafted a constitution permitting commercial regulation.

The founding fathers did not actually care about freedom

frunk

Quote from: derspiess on May 16, 2019, 12:37:34 PM
You already pretty much did in the post Brain quoted.  Are you claiming you have not changed your opinion on expanding the role of government in the past 20 or so years?

Government isn't antithetical to freedom, power imbalance is.  Which means expanding or contracting government (depending on the situation and what is expanding or contracting) could aid or hinder freedom.

Berkut

Quote from: derspiess on May 16, 2019, 12:37:34 PM
Quote from: Berkut on May 16, 2019, 12:10:39 PM
And true.

Not the claim you made - you claimed I "do not care about freedom".

Surely you would not engage in the intellectually dishonest practice of claiming I said one thing, then when someone asks for why you would say that, shifting to a completely different claim?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

dps

Come on Berkut, we all know that what you really care about isn't freedom, it's winning arguments on Languish.  :)

Seriously, though, while you have always claimed to be a moderate, I don't really find many of your positions moderate.  I stated this at least once before, but I view you as very conservative on foreign affairs and international relations, but moderately to quite liberal on most domestic issues.  I don't think that make you a moderate, exactly.  But I would never say that you don't care about freedom, though you and I might often disagree about how much government regulation is appropriate.

crazy canuck

You and Berkut are right wing in all your views.  What do you mean by "quite liberal" the American meaning of that word is confusing at the best of times.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

dps

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 16, 2019, 06:50:27 PM
You and Berkut are right wing in all your views.  What do you mean by "quite liberal" the American meaning of that word is confusing at the best of times.

If you can't tell the difference between Berkut and myself on domestic American issues, you simply haven't been paying attention.  In the 2018 general elections, I think I voted for 24 Republicans and 3 Democrats.  You really think that Berkut did the same?

Grey Fox

Quote from: dps on May 16, 2019, 09:46:02 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on May 16, 2019, 06:50:27 PM

If you can't tell the difference between Berkut and myself on domestic American issues, you simply haven't been paying attention.  In the 2018 general elections, I think I voted for 24 Republicans and 3 Democrats.  You really think that Berkut did the same?

You are really really different but in the end exactly the same. Right wing.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Malthus

Oh come on. Yes, Americans trend to the right of the spectrum when compared to the rest of the world. But there is a huge difference between Berkut and the Republican party position these days, on nearly everything.  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

grumbler

I'm not sure it is useful to try to convince a zealot that non-zealots are different from one another.  I don't think that their position is amenable to reason.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

crazy canuck

Quote from: Malthus on May 17, 2019, 08:05:11 AM
Oh come on. Yes, Americans trend to the right of the spectrum when compared to the rest of the world. But there is a huge difference between Berkut and the Republican party position these days, on nearly everything.  :D

No doubt.  The claim is not that Berkut is a Trumpist. He certainly is not.  The claim is that he is right wing. In the context of the left/right political spectrum I am not sure how one could characterize Berkut as being left wing on any issue.

Replace the name Berkut with Frum another right winger who is vehemently opposed to Trump and you will see the point.