And we're back!

Main Menu

What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 07, 2019, 04:57:54 PM
Quote from: Valmy on May 07, 2019, 03:38:48 PM
Aren't the rules of horse racing centuries old? I don't get the President's bizarre idea to make this a culture war political issue.

I think I can actually see the logic.  The way he sees it, PC is what keeps massively badass alpha studs like him from grabbing all the pussy in the world.  All rules are PC.

Yeah, I think you are on to something here.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

Quote from: PRC on May 07, 2019, 10:13:34 PM
Came across this article, thought it was good and so decided to share. 

"What happened when my 13-year-old son joined the alt-right"

https://www.washingtonian.com/2019/05/05/what-happened-after-my-13-year-old-son-joined-the-alt-right/

Good article.

Chapter 1 was horrifying.

Tamas

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 08, 2019, 02:11:15 AM

https://www.washingtonian.com/2019/05/05/what-happened-after-my-13-year-old-son-joined-the-alt-right/

Good article.

The end of it with the kid fully repenting and discussing with the parent using very adult words etc set off my BS alarm though. Seems like a fake story.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Tamas on May 08, 2019, 06:00:33 AM

Good article.

The end of it with the kid fully repenting and discussing with the parent using very adult words etc set off my BS alarm though. Seems like a fake story.

Why? Kids do use adult words. That's the thing with children, they can be very lucid at times. It just doesn't last.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

garbon

Good article.

I was entirely surprised by the end. Also, I wanted to know more about what actually happened in his first school. Was it that they made some sort of homosexual sex joke and then the girl declared it sexual harassment (in vein of having to overheard sexual content)?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Tamas

Quote from: garbon on May 08, 2019, 06:21:39 AM

Good article.

I was entirely surprised by the end. Also, I wanted to know more about what actually happened in his first school. Was it that they made some sort of homosexual sex joke and then the girl declared it sexual harassment (in vein of having to overheard sexual content)?

IDK. But the full ideal progress of the whole thing, to server a perfect lesson for everyone from "SJWs" to neo-n... alt-rights, not to mention kids and parents, just makes it look fake.

Habbaku

Quote from: Grey Fox on May 08, 2019, 06:21:18 AM

Good article.

Why? Kids do use adult words. That's the thing with children, they can be very lucid at times. It just doesn't last.

I doubt Tamas has actually talked to many 14 year-olds. The kid in the story sounds a lot like one of my friend's teenagers when he was that age.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

The Larch

Quote from: Habbaku on May 08, 2019, 07:49:14 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on May 08, 2019, 06:21:18 AM

Good article.

I doubt Tamas has actually talked to many 14 year-olds. The kid in the story sounds a lot like one of my friend's teenagers when he was that age.

It's his ingrained Eastern European spider sense of caustically doubting everything.  We should be used to it by now.  :P

derspiess

Quote from: Tamas on May 08, 2019, 07:23:43 AM
IDK. But the full ideal progress of the whole thing, to server a perfect lesson for everyone from "SJWs" to neo-n... alt-rights, not to mention kids and parents, just makes it look fake.

I think you're almost guaranteed to have a certain level of embellishment with articles like this.

That said, I have to admit it does strike a chord with me, having an 11-year old son about a year away from moving up to middle school.  The fake sexual harassment thing frightens me a bit, as does the potential for a young mind radicalizing (and then wanting to be a counter-protester later on :yuk: )
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

garbon

Is there any evidence the claim was actually false?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Tamas

You guys are naive.

1. sweet boy hanging out merrily with a rainbow selection of peers
2. far-left lunacy lashes out of him damaging him
3. turns to far-right, finds respect and a sense of community
4. does normal teenage stuff just as far-right edgelord
5. goes to live event that changes his perception overnight
6. becomes fully self-aware and asks parental forgiveness in tears

Somebody watched too much American History X. There might be some basic truth to the story, but as written it is utter BS.

Barrister

Quote from: Tamas on May 08, 2019, 08:34:00 AM
You guys are naive.

1. sweet boy hanging out merrily with a rainbow selection of peers
2. far-left lunacy lashes out of him damaging him
3. turns to far-right, finds respect and a sense of community
4. does normal teenage stuff just as far-right edgelord
5. goes to live event that changes his perception overnight
6. becomes fully self-aware and asks parental forgiveness in tears

Somebody watched too much American History X. There might be some basic truth to the story, but as written it is utter BS.

Look, I know it's all cool to doubt anything you see on the internet, but Washingtonian is apparently a long-established magazine.  You can't just show up with a manuscript and they'll publish it.  The editors had at least some level of confidence in the truthfulness of the story.

The article obviously summarizes and condenses the story.  It does mention that this entire sage takes places over the span of about two years.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

PRC

Like derspiess it struck a chord because of having young children, and I'd agree with him that writers embellishment or a narrative flourish is involved in articles of that nature.  But to outright dismiss it as BS as Tamas does is something the article kind of touches upon:

The Google searches flooded his developing brain with endless bias-confirming "proof" to back up whichever specious alt-right standard was being hoisted that week. Each set of results acted like fertilizer sprinkled on weeds: A forest of distortion flourished.

Sam launched a campaign to sway us to his new views. In his mind, he was now an intrepid truth-teller disseminating critical information that mainstream society was invested in keeping under wraps. Challenges to this narrative were to be expected—indeed, they were built into the narrative.

Tamas

For what it's worth I completely believed the story and it was interesting, until the "how could they do this to me *sob*" part. That felt completely out of place. But whatever.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Habbaku on May 08, 2019, 07:49:14 AM

Yeah, I don't see anything unusual about how he communicated.  And Tamas, fyi for if you ever have a teen - expect lots of big swings as they experiment and figure out who they are.  It is an important part of growing up.