News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on March 25, 2019, 09:38:14 AM
I just want to note with a slightly resigned sigh that my taxes actually went up with the new tax bill. Thanks Trump :lol: I mean if I am going to pay more taxes can't we at least shrink the freaking deficit instead of growing it? I would at least pay my higher taxes with a smile then.

Was it your taxes that went up or just the amount of remissions to the tax man made throughout the year went down so that at year end you had pay more than usual?  ie was the total amount of taxes you paid on an annual basis more?

Valmy

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 25, 2019, 10:30:54 AM
amount of remissions to the tax man made throughout the year went down so that at year end you had pay more than usual?

This part. Specifically they took away some deal related to a write off related to mortgage interest.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Tamas

I just want to note with a slightly resigned sigh that my taxes actually went up with the new tax bill. Thanks Trump :lol: I mean if I am going to pay more taxes can't we at least shrink the freaking deficit instead of growing it? I would at least pay my higher taxes with a smile then.

If you are not rich enough to enjoy the new tax breaks, you only have yourself to blame.

11B4V

Quote from: Tamas on March 25, 2019, 11:54:04 AM

If you are not rich enough to enjoy the new tax breaks, you only have yourself to blame.

He has a Twitter page, tell him
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Razgovory

Quote from: Oexmelin on March 24, 2019, 08:22:43 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on March 24, 2019, 02:53:23 PM
If I understand D'Souza's argument correctly

There is not much to understand. It's coarse political brand management, based on vilifying opposition, mixed with a healthy dose of conspiracy theory ("this knowledge is being actively suppressed by the violent-far-left-cultural-Marxist-establishement of academia!). In shot, it's the perfect product for the current incarnation of the conservative movement.

When ever I read "cultural Marxism", I think immediately of William Lind.  Lind was one of the people who put the "cultural Marxism" conspiracy theory into the mainstream.  He wrote a fiction book expressing his ideas.  It ends with execution of a college faculty for "cultural Marxism", among the murder many, many, many, other people for crimes such as being gay or Muslim.  While the book is terribly written I think that Democrats would do to well to read it so they know exactly what the people who cry "Cultural Marxism" are actually saying and what they dream of doing to us.  Hint: Anders Breivik was a big fan of Lind.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Oexmelin

And now the Trump Campaign (has that thing ever disbanded?) has sent a list of people he wished to see banned from TV for outlandish claims.
Que le grand cric me croque !

grumbler

Quote from: Oexmelin on March 25, 2019, 11:05:47 PM
And now the Trump Campaign (has that thing ever disbanded?) has sent a list of people he wished to see banned from TV for outlandish claims.

Let me guess:  #1 on the list is Donald Trump.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

DGuller

Quote from: grumbler on March 26, 2019, 06:55:17 AM

Let me guess:  #1 on the list is Donald Trump.
:hmm: That sounds like an awful guess.

PDH

Well, it's only fair.  The right did severely reign in the voices who were lying about Obama for his two terms.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

The Minsky Moment

And now the Trump Campaign (has that thing ever disbanded?) .

No.  He filed papers with the FEC as an official candidate for 2020 on the day of his inauguration.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Valmy

I mean you can deplatform people some specific stations through general asshattery but I am pretty sure nobody can be banned from TV itself.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Razgovory on March 25, 2019, 10:58:35 PM
When ever I read "cultural Marxism", I think immediately of William Lind.  Lind was one of the people who put the "cultural Marxism" conspiracy theory into the mainstream.  He wrote a fiction book expressing his ideas.  It ends with execution of a college faculty for "cultural Marxism", among the murder many, many, many, other people for crimes such as being gay or Muslim.  While the book is terribly written I think that Democrats would do to well to read it so they know exactly what the people who cry "Cultural Marxism" are actually saying and what they dream of doing to us.  Hint: Anders Breivik was a big fan of Lind.

The opening lines of that book
QuoteThe triumph of the Recovery was marked most clearly by the burning of the Episcopal bishop of Maine.

She was not a particularly bad bishop. She was in fact typical of Episcopal bishops of the first quarter of the 21st century: agnostic, compulsively political and radical, and given to placing a small idol of Isis on the altar when she said the Communion service. By 2055, when she was tried for heresy, convicted, and burned, she had outlived her era. By that time only a handful of Episcopalians still recognized female clergy, it would have been easy enough to let the old fool rant out her final years in obscurity.

The fact that the easy road was not taken, that Episcopalians turned to their difficult duty of trying and convicting, and the state upheld its unpleasant responsibility of setting torch to faggots, was what marked this as an act of Recovery. I well remember the crowd that gathered for the execution, solemn but not sad, relieved rather that at last, after so many years of humiliation, of having to swallow every absurdity and pretend we liked it, the majority had taken back the culture. No more apologies for the truth. No more "Yes, buts" on upholding standards. Civilization had recovered its nerve. The flames that soared above the lawn before the Maine State House were, as the bishopess herself might have said, liberating.

She could have saved herself, of course, right up until the torch was applied. All she had to do was announce she wasn't a bishop, or a priest, since Christian tradition forbids a woman to be either. Or she could have confessed she wasn't a Christian, in which case she could be bishopess, priestess, popess, whatever, in the service of her chosen demons. That would have just gotten her tossed over the border.

But the Prince of This World whom she served gives his devotees neither an easy nor a dignified exit. She bawled, she babbled, she shrieked in Hellish tongues, she pissed and pooped herself. The pyre was lit at 12:01 PM on a cool, cloudless August 18th, St. Helen's day. The flames climbed fast; after all, they'd been waiting for her for a long time.

When it was over, none of us felt good about it. But we'd long since learned feelings were a poor guide. We'd done the right thing.

It has 50 5 star reviews on Amazon.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Threviel

:cry: What the fuck is wrong with people?

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Threviel

There is a difference between casual racism and wanting to burn people alive. That shit is isis level.

But of course, now that I think about, Hardcore History had an episode on lynchings and other forms of public punishment that asked the question about whether people today would flock to that kind of entertainment. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lynching_of_Jesse_Washington is only about a hundred years ago. Perhaps the veneer of civilization is slowly being scraped off.