News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

https://www.vox.com/2019/3/29/18287491/trump-closing-border-mexico-trade-not-how-it-works

Quote"I'll just close the border, and with a deficit like we have with Mexico and have had for many years, closing the border will be a profit-making operation," Trump said
:bleeding:

QuoteAccording to the Office of the US Trade Representative, Mexico is the US's third-largest trading partner, with the total goods and services trade amounting to over $615 billion in 2017. While the US's overall deficit with Mexico was $63.6 billion that year, an estimated 1.2 million American jobs are based on US-Mexico trade.

Even short border closures have significant negative consequences. When the San Ysidro Port of Entry in San Diego was closed for five hours last November following an ill-fated march on the Mexican side, the San Ysidro Chamber of Commerce estimated it cost American businesses about $5.3 million.

Trump may believe American jobs are better guarded through protectionist trade policies —trade protectionism is one of Trump's signature issues — but he has a long history of either misunderstanding how those policies actually impact the US economy or of making wildly false statements about trade deficits. He's repeatedly spread inaccurate figures about US deficits and demonstrated ignorance about the fact that deficits are calculated based on both goods and services, not just goods.

Trump has tried to bring down deficits by imposing tariffs on imported goods, but he doesn't seem to understand that tariffs are really taxes on US importers, not foreign governments. And the latest figures indicate that not only are Trump's trade wars not shrinking deficits, but they're actually doing the opposite: The US trade deficit of $891.3 billion in 2018 was the highest in history.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

FunkMonk

Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

The Brain

How do they compare to the US concentration camps of the WW2 era?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

grumbler

Quote from: The Brain on March 30, 2019, 07:17:28 PM
How do they compare to the US concentration camps of the WW2 era?

They were more concentrated.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

jimmy olsen

GOP continues to get thumped

https://twitter.com/JessicaPost/status/1112181782735175680

QuoteBREAKING: Tonight in leg special elections, the Louisiana GOP was soundly rejected by voters. Dems held a seat Trump won by 18 points, & the GOP lost a seat Trump won by 17 points. The state legislature & gov is on the ballot this fall, & this is a very encouraging trend.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Eddie Teach

Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 30, 2019, 09:56:31 PM
this is a very encouraging trend.
[/quote]

The unbiased Twitter news service for ya.  ;)
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

State and local governments are vital so definitely a nice win in territory generally hostile to Democrats. We'll see. Lots of interesting Local Elections this year to follow.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Oexmelin

Quote from: Eddie Teach on March 30, 2019, 10:22:30 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 30, 2019, 09:56:31 PM
this is a very encouraging trend.

The unbiased Twitter news service for ya.  ;)
[/quote]

The post is from the executive director of the Democratic legislative campaign Committee. I don't think she wishes to be unbiased...
Que le grand cric me croque !

The Larch

It seems that Fox has given up on Geography. :P Can somebody checks if it's photoshopped?

It comes from this other piece of sadder news:

QuoteTrump administration says it will cut foreign aid for Guatemala, Honduras, El Salvador

viper37

It will just make the problem worst at the border.  Less aid = more poors = more migration.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: The Larch on March 31, 2019, 01:06:49 PM
It seems that Fox has given up on Geography.

Half of their audience didn't notice the banner at all.

Oexmelin

At this point, Fox News is the Executive branch of the American government.
Que le grand cric me croque !

Admiral Yi

Captain Gel-Job needs to get on board with the spray tan.

Valmy

Quote from: Oexmelin on March 31, 2019, 04:32:31 PM
At this point, Fox News is the Executive branch of the American government.

I thought the Trump people were mad at Fox News for going left.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."