And we're back!

Main Menu

What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: Monoriu on April 02, 2019, 08:23:02 PM
Quote from: Valmy on April 02, 2019, 02:02:40 PM
Um...our President does understand that PR is part of the United States and not an independent nation right?

Ah well. What else is new?

I don't have a problem with what Trump is saying.  Puerto Rico is a bit like Hong Kong.  If Hong Kong is damaged in a hurricane, we'll be expected to save ourselves.  I can't imagine Beijing or London (during colonial times) giving us money or any sort of help to deal with a major disaster.  They'll say we are on our own, and rightly so.

Now this is why it's good to have elected representatives at the Federal level.  They make sure you get help.  That's their job.  If Puerto Rico was a state they wouldn't be treated like this.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Larch

Quote from: Valmy on April 03, 2019, 12:37:01 PM
Quote from: Habbaku on April 03, 2019, 12:32:54 PM
And now windmills cause cancer.

What?

QuoteTrump's war on windmills now includes wild cancer claim
(...)
"Hillary wanted to put up wind," said President Donald Trump at a fundraiser for Republicans in Washington Tuesday, kicking off an extended riff about the evils of windmills -- wind turbines, more accurately -- and the inadequacy of wind energy. It's worth looking at in full since it's clearly becoming part of his stump speech and feeds into his larger distrust of renewable energy and his mocking of climate change.
(...)
Trump: "If you have a windmill anywhere near your house, congratulations, your house just went down 75% in value."
(...)
Trump: "And they say the noise causes cancer. You told me that one, OK." (Then he made circles with his hands and a noise with his mouth.) "You know the thing makes so..."

Malthus

Quote from: The Larch on April 03, 2019, 01:06:20 PM
Quote from: Valmy on April 03, 2019, 12:37:01 PM

What?

QuoteTrump's war on windmills now includes wild cancer claim
(...)
"Hillary wanted to put up wind," said President Donald Trump at a fundraiser for Republicans in Washington Tuesday, kicking off an extended riff about the evils of windmills -- wind turbines, more accurately -- and the inadequacy of wind energy. It's worth looking at in full since it's clearly becoming part of his stump speech and feeds into his larger distrust of renewable energy and his mocking of climate change.
(...)
Trump: "If you have a windmill anywhere near your house, congratulations, your house just went down 75% in value."
(...)
Trump: "And they say the noise causes cancer. You told me that one, OK." (Then he made circles with his hands and a noise with his mouth.) "You know the thing makes so..."

I guess I should not be surprised. The President has been literally babbling nonsense for a while now.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Syt

This is what living under Wilhelm II must have been like.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Valmy

Oh good. More pseudo-science cancer scares I have to deal with in my industry. Thanks Mr. President.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Solmyr

That's not even that bad. One of Finland's MPs claimed recently that windmills cause bats to explode.

PDH

Quote from: Solmyr on April 03, 2019, 02:11:36 PM

That's not even that bad. One of Finland's MPs claimed recently that windmills cause bats to explode.

The Finns need to go back to raking their forests and leave the bats alone.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Syt

Scientists in the 90s: "We're landing robots on Mars now!"
Scientists in 2019: "No, really, the Earth IS round!"
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Malthus

Quote from: Syt on April 03, 2019, 02:16:14 PM
Scientists in the 90s: "We're landing robots on Mars now!"
Scientists in 2019: "No, really, the Earth IS round!"

I was going to laugh at this, but it's really more of a cry.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Valmy

Yeah what is up with all the political pushback? It is weird and none of the reasons make any sense.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Solmyr

Quote from: Valmy on April 03, 2019, 02:26:56 PM

Yeah what is up with all the political pushback? It is weird and none of the reasons make any sense.

Something new, embraced by the Greens/the left = automatically bad and must be opposed by conservatives.

Valmy

Quote from: Solmyr on April 03, 2019, 03:26:05 PM

Something new, embraced by the Greens/the left = automatically bad and must be opposed by conservatives.

Is it really embraced by the Greens? That would be nice but they tend to not like things with nasty nuances and trade offs like wind turbines.

Admiral Yi

dps

Quote from: PDH on April 03, 2019, 02:15:33 PM

The Finns need to go back to raking their forests and leave the bats alone.

Yeah, corking them can make bats explode, but I don't see how a windmill could do it.   ;)

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on April 03, 2019, 03:31:50 PM
Quote from: Solmyr on April 03, 2019, 03:26:05 PM

Is it really embraced by the Greens? That would be nice but they tend to not like things with nasty nuances and trade offs like wind turbines.

Yeah, the right does not have a monopoly on having a weak understanding of science.  The Green Party of Canada has the following platform.

QuoteParty Commentary
This motion, in calling for a study on the human health effects of wind turbines, would create a new policy and could potentially call into question some of the party's policies on significantly increasing the amount of energy produced through wind turbines.

Preamble
WHEREAS the Green Party of Canada recognizes the vast potential for wind energy in Canada;

WHEREAS the Green Party of Canada with the Canadian Wind Energy Association has set goals for Canadian wind energy generation;

WHEREAS many citizens in communities with wind turbines claim to be experiencing sleep deprivation, headaches, and heart complications related to wind turbines;

WHEREAS one of the largest obstacles preventing accelerated wind energy development is resistance from citizens near planned turbine sites;

WHEREAS the largest investment Canadians make, their home, is affected as much by real health risks as perceived ones;

WHEREAS many provincial governments have compromised their objectivity with respect to wind energy development;

WHEREAS the Green Party of Canada considers healthy people and healthy communities as necessary for a strong Canada;

Operative
THEREFORE BE IT RESOLVED that the Green Party of Canada seeks to have Health Canada initiate an epidemiological study on the human health effects of wind turbines in the interests of public health and safety.