News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

DGuller

Quote from: Razgovory on March 22, 2019, 02:52:05 PM
Trump has imposed and lifted new sanctions on North Korea today.  I'm at a loss for words.
I hate that glitch in EU4.

Razgovory

Quote from: DGuller on March 22, 2019, 04:40:19 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on March 22, 2019, 02:52:05 PM
Trump has imposed and lifted new sanctions on North Korea today.  I'm at a loss for words.
I hate that glitch in EU4.

Bug report:  AI declares war offers white peace within 12 hours. 
Developer:  WAD.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Tamas

What a moron. He continually berates, bullies and trash-talks his own allies, and acts like a little desperate bitch of dictators and enemies of the US.

Syt

No tweets yesterday. And today:

QuoteGood Morning, Have A Great Day!

and

QuoteMAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

Though probably telling that Lincoln apparently gets reduced to "the guy on the $5 bill."
—Stephen Jay Gould

Oexmelin

The obsession over "The Party of Lincoln", the denunciation of the historic party switch as lies (see D. De Souza), and the insistence that the Democrats are the racists (KKK!) just shows party affiliation for Republicans is now making the same emotional demands that patriotism once did.
Que le grand cric me croque !

Razgovory

If I understand D'Souza's argument correctly, blacks have been re-enslaved by the Democrats and put into a "Federal Plantation".  Unfortunately blacks are too stupid, lazy, and malicious to do anything about it.

D'Souza is correct that many Klansmen were Democrats (as were many Republicans in 1920's).  He is incorrect to say that the Democratic party founded it.  D'souza is really big on saying that minorities shouldn't be forgive Democrats for stuff that happened 150 years ago.  He is hasn't said much about how the Republican party essentially made it illegal for non-whites to immigrate to the US from 1875-1940.  This is puzzling since we wouldn't have been able to immigrate to the US were it not for the Democrats removing these restrictions.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Razgovory on March 24, 2019, 02:53:23 PM
This is puzzling since we wouldn't have been able to immigrate to the US were it not for the Democrats removing these restrictions.

Are you also a non-white recent immigrant?  :hmm:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Barrister

If I understand D'Souza's argument correctly, blacks have been re-enslaved by the Democrats and put into a "Federal Plantation".  Unfortunately blacks are too stupid, lazy, and malicious to do anything about it.

D'Souza is correct that many Klansmen were Democrats (as were many Republicans in 1920's).  He is incorrect to say that the Democratic party founded it.  D'souza is really big on saying that minorities shouldn't be forgive Democrats for stuff that happened 150 years ago.  He is hasn't said much about how the Republican party essentially made it illegal for non-whites to immigrate to the US from 1875-1940.  This is puzzling since we wouldn't have been able to immigrate to the US were it not for the Democrats removing these restrictions.

I'm curious - do you have a source that says many Republicans in the 1920s were KKK members?  It seems odd to me that just 60 years removed from the Civil War that the GOP would embrace racism in that way, but I could be wrong.

And I do feel obliged to point out that the 1965 immigration reform bill passed with bipartisan support.  In fact a greater proportion of Republicans voted for it than did Democrats.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

The Brain

Nothing the GOP has done matters today. They decided to be the party of Trump, and that is how I'll know them.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

dps

Quote from: Barrister on March 24, 2019, 03:49:54 PM

I'm curious - do you have a source that says many Republicans in the 1920s were KKK members?  It seems odd to me that just 60 years removed from the Civil War that the GOP would embrace racism in that way, but I could be wrong.

The KKK of the 20's was primarily a nativist, anti-Catholic movement based in the Midwest, whereas at most other times in its history, it was an anti-black movement based in the south.  I don't doubt that many Republicans in that area were KKK members at the time.

Valmy

Quote from: Oexmelin on March 24, 2019, 11:38:00 AM
The obsession over "The Party of Lincoln", the denunciation of the historic party switch as lies (see D. De Souza), and the insistence that the Democrats are the racists (KKK!) just shows party affiliation for Republicans is now making the same emotional demands that patriotism once did.

That is not exactly new. The Democrats = Traitors who are not entirely American has been there thing basically since the founding the party. Naturally how accurate that is varies with time :P
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Oexmelin

Quote from: Valmy on March 24, 2019, 06:16:48 PM
That is not exactly new. The Democrats = Traitors who are not entirely American has been there thing basically since the founding the party. Naturally how accurate that is varies with time :P

It has happened before, yes -  but not as a continuous feature.  And if those previous moments are anything to go by, the kind of polarization we are witnessing does not bode well for the future.
Que le grand cric me croque !