What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Berkut

Quote from: Eddie Teach on August 05, 2018, 02:13:22 PM
Quote from: Berkut on August 05, 2018, 12:37:23 PM

Obama attempted to do immigration reform. Obama attempted to get the Republicans involved in crafting the ACA. Obama attempting to get bipartisan support his first budget.

Trump wants to do things, too. I'm asking about more concrete offers- we give up this if you give up that.

Well done. You complain that the Dems don't compromise, and then move the goalposts when you ask (and are given) examples of their attempts to compromise, and demand that they have "concrete offers" when the Republicans have made it categorically clear that there was no grounds for any offer of any kind. How can there be a concrete offer when the Republicans have made it  a matter of party policy to not even be seen entertaining the idea of negotiation?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Razgovory

A significant part of the Republican platform seems to involve disenfranchising Democratic voters and "Triggering the libs".  I'm not sure what sort of compromise can be done there.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

grumbler

Quote from: bogh on August 05, 2018, 02:16:54 PM
Did anybody read the Economist piece on the skew of the US electoral system (https://www.economist.com/briefing/2018/07/12/americas-electoral-system-gives-the-republicans-advantages-over-democrats)? Pretty interesting, IMO.

They have a bit of the history wrong; the Great Compromise that resulted in the smaller states getting equal representation in the Senate and the larger states proportional representation in the House wasn't the result of conflicts over slavery, but rather concerns about the larger states dominating the new union.  Both the slave states and the free states were divided on representation.

But there's no question, I don't think, that the Founding Fathers misunderstood the dangers of partisanship.  They were all from "the Patriot party" so to speak, and didn't expect their own party to unravel quite so quickly.  Gerrymandering is a perfectly foreseeable consequence of the absence of limits on partisan power, but it seems to have been foreseen only in hindsight.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Camerus on August 05, 2018, 09:45:09 AM
And a whopping 3 Democrats voted for Gorsuch.

3 too many.  And the 52 republicans who voted for him were 52 too many.

Also the tax bill was not just awful policy and a hypocritical betrayal of GOP budgetary "principles" - it was also a highly partisan screw job targeted to shift resources away from blue states, so much so that GOP legislators in those blue states mounted a revolt against the first couple bills.  The Democrats were deliberately excluded from all drafting and consultation on those bills - basically given the final text at the last minute and told vote yes.  It is hard to think of a weaker case for complaining about obstruction from the other side then the tax bill.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

Jesus, comparing a hard ideologue like Gorsuch - pure red meat for the Heritage zealots - to a vanilla middle of the roader like Garland is absurd.

It's a bit rich to complain about the other side not crossing the bridge halfway when the embers are still hot from when you just firebombed it.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Eddie Teach on August 05, 2018, 07:07:26 AM
Quote from: Berkut on August 05, 2018, 03:53:15 AM
Quote from: Eddie Teach on August 05, 2018, 02:04:01 AM
It's been a while since either side was willing to compromise.

That is simply not remotely true, and is self evidently not true.

No wall, no Democrat votes on successful tax bill or failed Obama care overhaul, opposition to every GOP SC pick going back 30 years... Heck, wasn't there a government shutdown over a few hundred million dollars to Planned Parenthood?

Anyway, when there is no successful agreement, it rings hollow to say your side is willing to compromise but the other side wasn't. And there haven't been any major compromises in over a decade.

Obamacare is a heritage foundation health care plan that shovels billions into insurance companies. It is as right wing as it comes. The only reason the GOP is against it is because it was passed by a black democrat.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

Also, Obama attempted a Grand Bargin that would have cut Social Security and welfare by trillions and the GOP  wouldn't even agree with him on that!
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Tamas

It is fascinating, really, how a number of people can be swayed to this extent.

Especially those guys, they are old. Most of their lives they were taught and told to fear and hate Russia. But to defend their chosen tribe they switch realities without much effort or doubt.

garbon

Quote from: Tamas on August 06, 2018, 08:07:29 AM

Especially those guys, they are old. Most of their lives they were taught and told to fear and hate Russia. But to defend their chosen tribe they switch realities without much effort or doubt.

Does hint at a rather shallow amount of belief/conviction.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Syt

Someone commented on the pic:

QuoteMy friend Jeremy actually took this photo. He's a reporter for http://cleveland.com . It's from the rally near Columbus on Saturday. He said these guys "cheerfully" talked to him for 10 minutes and "don't understand why Democrats can't get on the Trump Train."
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

FunkMonk

Donald is a big fat loud mouth who thinks and talks like them. Not hard to understand.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Tamas

Quote from: FunkMonk on August 06, 2018, 08:52:23 AM

Donald is a big fat loud mouth who thinks and talks like them. Not hard to understand.

Well yeah that certainly is a big part of it.

Valmy

Quote from: Berkut on August 05, 2018, 04:22:20 PM
then move the goalposts when you ask (and are given) examples of their attempts to compromise

Eddie? Move the goal posts? A shocking turn of events.

Anyway I am willing to be convinced of your views at some point Eddie but it would be helpful if you did more than demand we provide evidence for our beliefs. People here are offering evidence for their positions and you just refuse to provide any of your own and then explain away why their evidence doesn't count. It is not very conducive to me coming around to your way of seeing things.

But, granted, I am not that great at convincing or persuading myself, so what do I know?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Razgovory

It might be useful to find to know before hand who would be a collaborator.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017