What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

Define who you're talking about. If its the ~40% of the country who rate Trump favorably, then yes.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Razgovory

Quote from: Eddie Teach on August 04, 2018, 08:26:53 PM
Define who you're talking about. If its the ~40% of the country who rate Trump favorably, then yes.

People who talk about scalping us.  People who hoard guns for the day they must water the tree of liberty with our blood.  People who fantasize about a Trump led military coup that send political opponents to GITMO.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Eddie Teach

Good news, Raz, those people are fringe cases that can be ignored.

Razgovory

Quote from: Eddie Teach on August 04, 2018, 08:33:00 PM
Good news, Raz, those people are fringe cases that can be ignored.

What makes you think they are on the fringe?  I'm not talking about Alt-Right terrorists.  These opinions are coming from rank and file Trump supporters.  I've spent the last two years chatting with conservatives in Mid-Missouri over Facebook.  While a few are Alt-Right, most aren't.  However there are plenty of people who think that any opposition towards Trump is sedition and illegitimate because it's all being paid for by George Soros, a man they believe to be a Nazi.  Reaching out to these people is impossible and may not even be desirable.  The sorts of compromises you'd have to make are quite unpleasant.

Obama was a pretty moderate politician.  He certainly tried to reach out to the right.  How many took up his offer to meet them half-way?  Why would the next effort be any more successful.  When will they reach out to us?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

DGuller

Quote from: Eddie Teach on August 04, 2018, 02:01:05 PM
I think when you've given up engagement and girded yourself for civil war, the extremist label seems apt.
Nonsense.  If you at some point realize that turning the other cheek isn't working, and you just keep getting punched, ceasing that strategy does not make you an extremist.  It just makes you not stupid.

Syt

Maybe it's an outsider's lopsided impression, but to me it appears that, for some time now, Republicans consider making compromises a sign of weakness and defeat and gone for a "my way or the highway" approach to politics. Not sure how to meaningfully work with that in the political arena.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

bogh

Eddie Teach

It's been a while since either side was willing to compromise.

Zoupa

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Berkut

Quote from: Eddie Teach on August 05, 2018, 02:04:01 AM

That is simply not remotely true, and is self evidently not true.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

jimmy olsen

Obama's presidency failed because he tried too hard to compromise with people who categorically refused to do so.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

grumbler

Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 05, 2018, 06:16:40 AM

Obama's presidency failed because he tried too hard to compromise with people who categorically refused to do so.

Obama had little choice but to try to compromise, since the Republicans took control of the House in 2011.  But the Republicans, as you note, were not interested in compromising to ensure the success of the country, they were interested only in stonewalling to ensure the failure of the Administration.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Berkut on August 05, 2018, 03:53:15 AM

That is simply not remotely true, and is self evidently not true.

No wall, no Democrat votes on successful tax bill or failed Obama care overhaul, opposition to every GOP SC pick going back 30 years... Heck, wasn't there a government shutdown over a few hundred million dollars to Planned Parenthood?

Anyway, when there is no successful agreement, it rings hollow to say your side is willing to compromise but the other side wasn't. And there haven't been any major compromises in over a decade.

bogh

Quote from: Eddie Teach on August 05, 2018, 07:07:26 AM

Anyway, when there is no successful agreement, it rings hollow to say your side is willing to compromise but the other side wasn't.

Except when it is true? One side incapable of compromise will scupper any deal - not sure I get the logic here?