What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

viper37

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 02, 2018, 01:52:07 PM
Quote from: Oexmelin on August 02, 2018, 01:50:10 PM
I think "successful" is supposed to qualify "Trump Campaign", and not "Russian Collusion". The best guide we have for this, is that it makes the statement false.

I get that.  What I'm talking about is his talking point about DEMOCRATS BEING THE REAL COLLUDERS, since....they have A DOSSIER.
I think it comes from that:
Link

I'm seeing more&more of this stuff from the New Charlemagne division.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

crazy canuck

At the Trump rally last night, where he went on about the media being the enemy of the people yet again, a CBC reporter interviewed some in the crowd.  Everyone who was interviewed watched Fox news exclusively and all agreed that the media was an enemy of the people because the media do not report the truth.  By media of course they meant CNN etc.

I was reminded of an interview Ted Koppel did with Sean Hannity in which Hannity bristled at Koppel's agreement with the notion that Hannity was bad for America because his show put ideology over facts.  Hannity countered that he thought his viewers were intelligent enough to realize the difference between his show, an opinion show, and a real news show.   That assumption has proved false.

https://www.cbsnews.com/video/ted-koppel-on-why-he-thinks-sean-hannity-is-bad-for-america/

garbon

Well, think about the sort of person who would go to a Trump rally who wasn't 'working' the event in some way (facility staff, reporters).
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

crazy canuck

Quote from: garbon on August 03, 2018, 10:11:00 AM
Well, think about the sort of person who would go to a Trump rally who wasn't 'working' the event in some way (facility staff, reporters).

It is that type that I am trying to understand.  And why they adore this man so much.  I think one likely factor is he has convinced them not to pay attention to news that is fact checked.

Eddie Teach

It's this kind of attitude which will keep them winning elections.

garbon

Quote from: Eddie Teach on August 03, 2018, 10:23:14 AM

I doubt it. I would bet only a small fraction of Trump voters go to his endless series of rallies.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Though I suppose that canard is a fun chicken and egg problem. Were they deplorable when they were first called that or did they become deplorable because they were labelled that?

Of course, the not fun part is we know that the actually process was the former option.

crazy canuck

Quote from: garbon on August 03, 2018, 10:26:35 AM
Though I suppose that canard is a fun chicken and egg problem. Were they deplorable when they were first called that or did they become deplorable because they were labelled that?

Of course, the not fun part is we know that the actually process was the former option.

I think there are people who are supporting him because they are scared about their economic circumstances and the future of their children, not because they are deplorable.  When they watch Fox news they are told that they have made the right choice.  He has taken on the mantle of the great leader and they will continue to support him so long as they continue to believe what he is selling them.

garbon

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 03, 2018, 10:35:37 AM

I think there are people who are supporting him because they are scared about their economic circumstances and the future of their children, not because they are deplorable.  When they watch Fox news they are told that they have made the right choice.  He has taken on the mantle of the great leader and they will continue to support him so long as they continue to believe what he is selling them.

Deplorable.

crazy canuck

Quote from: garbon on August 03, 2018, 10:39:55 AM

Deplorable.

It is a deplorable situation but the individuals involved are not themselves deplorable.  I agree with Eddie, if one ignores the legitimate fears of that group of the electorate and why they are supporting Trump by simply writing them off as deplorable, you increase the chance Trump will continue to have electoral success.

garbon

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 03, 2018, 10:49:00 AM
Quote from: garbon on August 03, 2018, 10:39:55 AM

Deplorable.

It is a deplorable situation but the individuals involved are not themselves deplorable.  I agree with Eddie, if one ignores the legitimate fears of that group of the electorate and why they are supporting Trump by simply writing them off as deplorable, you increase the chance Trump will continue to have electoral success.

I think there is a mistake in thinking that because you find said people deplorable that means you can ignore their needs. They are still part of the voting public so of course one needs to make sure they their needs are met. However, if those needs mean that one needs to adopt Trumpian rhetoric or behaviour then aren't you endanger of becoming that which you hate?

crazy canuck

Quote from: garbon on August 03, 2018, 11:07:55 AM
I think there is a mistake in thinking that because you find said people deplorable that means you can ignore their needs. They are still part of the voting public so of course one needs to make sure they their needs are met. However, if those needs mean that one needs to adopt Trumpian rhetoric or behaviour then aren't you endanger of becoming that which you hate?

I agree, but I don't think one needs to mimic right wing populism to address their fears.  Liberal Democracy was once the best answer and I hope it will be again.  Although, as we discussed in another thread, there are no easy answers about how that might be achieved.   

Zoupa

Quote from: Eddie Teach on August 03, 2018, 10:23:14 AM

It's always the liberals fault right?  :D Do Trump voters have no agency? If the Trumpian GOP keeps winning elections it's because your country is full of racist idiots. No need to over analyze.

Eddie Teach

Nice to be reminded that Syts relatives aren't the only ones posting retarded images.

And I wish you'd stop because I have to live with the results. Contempt only begets hatred.