What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zoupa

Teach just likes being contrarian. He'll grow out of it. Garbon did and I appreciate him a lot more now.

Love ya G  :P

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Berkut on August 05, 2018, 11:55:48 AM
Quote from: Eddie Teach on August 05, 2018, 07:07:26 AM
Quote from: Berkut on August 05, 2018, 03:53:15 AM
Quote from: Eddie Teach on August 05, 2018, 02:04:01 AM
It's been a while since either side was willing to compromise.

That is simply not remotely true, and is self evidently not true.

No wall, no Democrat votes on successful tax bill or failed Obama care overhaul, opposition to every GOP SC pick going back 30 years... Heck, wasn't there a government shutdown over a few hundred million dollars to Planned Parenthood?

Anyway, when there is no successful agreement, it rings hollow to say your side is willing to compromise but the other side wasn't. And there haven't been any major compromises in over a decade.

There has not been any attempt to "overhaul" Obama care. Just a lot of successful attempts to sabotage it outright.

No wall? Are you kidding me? That is how you measure "compromise"?

I was giving examples of them not compromising. You're welcome to give counter-examples.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

garbon

Quote from: Zoupa on August 05, 2018, 12:01:08 PM
Teach just likes being contrarian. He'll grow out of it. Garbon did and I appreciate him a lot more now.

Indeed, I did. Now, I'm just a dour old man. :weep:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

I prefer objective.

garbon

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/maryanngeorgantopoulos/kellyanne-conway-press-enemy-people-trump

QuoteAppearing on CBS's Face The Nation Sunday, Conway said that "a growing swath of reporters" are getting away with saying things on Twitter that would never make it in print, calling those journalists "enemy of the relevant."

"I don't believe journalists are the enemy of the people, I think some journalists are enemy of the relevant, and enemy of the news you can use," Conway said.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Berkut

Quote from: Eddie Teach on August 05, 2018, 12:06:08 PM
Quote from: Berkut on August 05, 2018, 11:55:48 AM

No wall, no Democrat votes on successful tax bill or failed Obama care overhaul, opposition to every GOP SC pick going back 30 years... Heck, wasn't there a government shutdown over a few hundred million dollars to Planned Parenthood?

Anyway, when there is no successful agreement, it rings hollow to say your side is willing to compromise but the other side wasn't. And there haven't been any major compromises in over a decade.

There has not been any attempt to "overhaul" Obama care. Just a lot of successful attempts to sabotage it outright.

No wall? Are you kidding me? That is how you measure "compromise"?

I was giving examples of them not compromising. You're welcome to give counter-examples.

Obama attempted to do immigration reform. Obama attempted to get the Republicans involved in crafting the ACA. Obama attempting to get bipartisan support his first budget.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

grumbler

That "successful tax bill" (permanent tax relief for the wealthy, very temporary tax relief for the middle class, encourages inflation, exploded the deficit) wasn't a compromise bill because the Republicans refused to compromise on it.  The only Democratic-sponsored amendment to the Republican bill that was adopted was the one that stopped Betsy DeVoss's Hillsdale College from getting its own special tax break.  Not even Republicans wanted to visibly support that kind of graft.  If the republicans wanted Democratic votes, they needed to compromise.  But, they are Republicans, whose leadership thinks bipartisanship is treason.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Zoupa

Quote from: Eddie Teach on August 05, 2018, 12:08:27 PM

I prefer objective.

Sure little buddy. Sure.

Solmyr

Quote from: DGuller on August 05, 2018, 09:25:25 AM
Is there a term for "both sides" extremist, the kind of extremist that would say "it takes two to tango" even in the case of Nazis v. Jews?  I've never encountered a good concise one.  I've encountered a number of such people in recent years; some are just conservatives who don't dare to speak their mind, but some are legitimately pathologically allergic to any black and white conclusion.

In Finland we have a term for this, "tolkun ihmiset", which roughly translates to "sensible people", used with sarcasm of course. Used because our President once used this term in a speech while talking about "radicals on both sides" (of the immigration issue).

PDH

Quote from: Berkut on August 05, 2018, 12:37:23 PM

Obama attempted to do immigration reform. Obama attempted to get the Republicans involved in crafting the ACA. Obama attempting to get bipartisan support his first budget.

"...but apart from better sanitation and medicine and education and irrigation and public health and roads and a freshwater system and baths and public order... what have the Romans done for us?"
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

PDH

No wall, no Democrat votes on successful tax bill or failed Obama care overhaul...

Wait, why does there have to be compromise by the minority party on these things anyway?  Both house and senate as well as the executive...why complain about the minority party when the majority party can't get its shit together?
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Berkut on August 05, 2018, 12:37:23 PM

Trump wants to do things, too. I'm asking about more concrete offers- we give up this if you give up that.

bogh

If only Democrats had given into everything that Republicans demanded with zero concessions, the rural american vote would have swung heavily towards Democrats or centrist Republicans.

Did anybody read the Economist piece on the skew of the US electoral system (https://www.economist.com/briefing/2018/07/12/americas-electoral-system-gives-the-republicans-advantages-over-democrats)? Pretty interesting, IMO.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: PDH on August 05, 2018, 01:52:32 PM
Wait, why does there have to be compromise by the minority party on these things anyway? 

Because one wants to establish willingness to compromise for an internet argument, I suppose?

mongers

Quote from: bogh on August 05, 2018, 02:16:54 PM
If only Democrats had given into everything that Republicans demanded with zero concessions, the rural american vote would have swung heavily towards Democrats or centrist Republicans.

Did anybody read the Economist piece on the skew of the US electoral system (https://www.economist.com/briefing/2018/07/12/americas-electoral-system-gives-the-republicans-advantages-over-democrats)? Pretty interesting, IMO.

Bogh, Thanks for the link, I'll read a the rest of it later.

Hope you're doing well, good to see you back on languish.  :)
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"