News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on December 22, 2017, 11:14:10 PM
Interesting that strong majorities think the economy is doing great, and also think Trump is doing a lousy job.  This tends to confirm a theory of mine . . .

Pro Trump people on talking head shows are always pounding talking points on the strong economy as if that should convince people to support Trump.  And Trump himself is always banging on about this, usually in terms of the stock market.  Because he's a doofus.

It's true that the incumbent President tends to get good support when the economy is strong.  But not I think because people credit the President directly.  Rather, when things are going relatively well, people don't want to rock the boat.  There is a bias to the status quo that benefits the incumbent President.

But that works only for normal Presidents.  Trump doesn't act like a serene captain on calm waters, he acts as the principal insurgent force against his own government.  He's a pirate in the admiralty.  Rocking the boat is his SOP.  Trump's whole play is that he is a massive disrupter to deal with CARNAGE and DISASTER but jobs are up and wages are up and the markets are up, and that just makes him a bull in the china shop.

The conventional wisdom I learned in Poli Sci is that your average voter *always* credits the president for economic performace.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: 11B4V on December 22, 2017, 08:55:42 PM
Way too early to predict. Dems have plenty of time left to crap their pants.

The 2nd chart shows that polls are predictive even this far out.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Eddie Teach

Quote from: jimmy olsen on December 23, 2017, 05:11:30 AM

They couldn't hit an elephant at this-
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

11B4V

And the  fucking polls said Trump would lose.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

DGuller

Quote from: 11B4V on December 23, 2017, 12:09:46 PM
Polls did not say that.  Nate Silver gave Trump 30% chance to win based on the polls.  Given the margin of victory, the actual outcome in no way discredits that assessment.

CountDeMoney

STFU, Russian trollbot assfuck.  Both of you.

DGuller

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 23, 2017, 12:51:18 PM
You appear agitated, Seedy.  Here, have some tea.  :)

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 23, 2017, 03:28:26 AM
The conventional wisdom I learned in Poli Sci is that your average voter *always* credits the president for economic performace.

Ray Fair made an election model based on the premise.  It always worked well when backtested but its predictive power wasn't as good.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

He's right, though.  The numbers didn't lie, the people interpreting them read into them what they wanted to believe.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

11B4V

Quote from: DGuller on December 23, 2017, 12:48:02 PM
Polls did not say that.  Nate Silver gave Trump 30% chance to win based on the polls.  Given the margin of victory, the actual outcome in no way discredits that assessment.

Either way 2018 mid terms are now tainted.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 23, 2017, 03:28:26 AM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on December 22, 2017, 11:14:10 PM
Interesting that strong majorities think the economy is doing great, and also think Trump is doing a lousy job.  This tends to confirm a theory of mine . . .

Pro Trump people on talking head shows are always pounding talking points on the strong economy as if that should convince people to support Trump.  And Trump himself is always banging on about this, usually in terms of the stock market.  Because he's a doofus.

It's true that the incumbent President tends to get good support when the economy is strong.  But not I think because people credit the President directly.  Rather, when things are going relatively well, people don't want to rock the boat.  There is a bias to the status quo that benefits the incumbent President.

But that works only for normal Presidents.  Trump doesn't act like a serene captain on calm waters, he acts as the principal insurgent force against his own government.  He's a pirate in the admiralty.  Rocking the boat is his SOP.  Trump's whole play is that he is a massive disrupter to deal with CARNAGE and DISASTER but jobs are up and wages are up and the markets are up, and that just makes him a bull in the china shop.

None of the conventional wisdom is worth anything now.  Everything I thought I knew has been turned on its head.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

11B4V

jimmy olsen

The polls were within the margin of error.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Eddie Teach

Quote from: jimmy olsen on December 23, 2017, 07:33:16 PM

The polls were within the margin of error.

You're being overconfident as usual.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: DGuller on December 23, 2017, 01:04:53 PM
You appear agitated, Seedy.  Here, have some tea.  :)

ENOUGH WITH THE RUSSIAN SHIT ALREADY
FUCK