News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Quote from: Valmy on May 12, 2017, 11:48:21 AM
Free-floating nihilism cloaked in insult, mockery, and bombast? The internet really is the downfall of society.

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on May 12, 2017, 12:08:39 PM
I dunno, the coverage in the conservative news sites I follow (NRO, Redstate) has been very nuanced when it comes to Trump.  There's been essentially zero posts of 100% Trumpism support.  They'll support him on some issues (health care).  They'll criticize certain aspects of his performance ('he was right to fire Comey, but wrong to link it to the Russia investigation' is common).  And yes, they spend time on being anti-anti-Trump - that is criticizing the criticism of Trump as being over-the-top and shrill.

But although the criticism is usually hedged in some way, there is no shortage of criticism of Trump in right-wing news.
During the student crisis, most of the left leaning media journalists supported the students, openly, or nearly so, just not enough to cross the line by a hair.

Everytime, they (journalists and columnists and editorialists and tv/radio hosts would defend their neutrality with "I don't support the violence... [...]but it can be excused because they were provoked".

And I see the same thing here.  The Right has lost the North, just like the Left.  They went completely overboard, dissing rational thoughts in favour of ideological purity.  As Ryan said, it's more important to oppose the Democrats than to work with them to reach a viable compromise for everyone.  Ideological purity is seen as a virtue by the hard left and more&more by the mainstream right while pragmatism is seen as weakness by both.

This does not bode well for the future.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

garbon

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on May 12, 2017, 01:08:21 PM
Free-floating nihilism cloaked in insult, mockery, and bombast? The internet really is the downfall of society.

It's even worse than that.  Internet or no internet, people just seem to be highly motivated by contempt for certain categories of their fellow citizens, more than any positive viewpoint or set of ideas.
One of the things about the Trump victory that gave the thoughtful left pause is how it exposed distance between educated liberals and the white working class.  E.g. liberals who bristle at any racist or homophobic comment but see no problem in throwing around the "white trash" label.
In response, the victorious Trumpistas have raised the ante further and proven themselves to be epic sore winners.

Basically the country in turning into a bunch of nasty and vicious high school cliques.

I don't know. I mean I still think the white trash should be helped in a paternalistic sort of way.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Oexmelin

Basically the country in turning into a bunch of nasty and vicious high school cliques.

It's appears very close to the dynamics of political life in eighteenth-century regimes.
Que le grand cric me croque !

Jacob

QuoteRepublicans in the Oklahoma state legislature have a challenge on their hands: figuring out how to address a gaping $900 million hole in the state budget without raising taxes.

Some lawmakers have proposed firing nonessential college employees. Others want to drop a film tax credit, saving the state as much as $5 million.

Republican Rep. Mike Ritze told CBS affiliate KWTV that he has another proposal in mind: Rounding up the state's 82,000 non-English-speaking students and handing them over to Immigration and Customs Enforcement.

"Identify them and then turn them over to ICE to see if they truly are citizens — and do we really have to educate noncitizens?" Ritze asked.

The lawmaker disagrees with the idea that the state should be responsible for educating children who aren't citizens, though a 1982 Supreme Court decision, Plyler v. Doe, actually prohibits states from denying education to undocumented immigrants.

Still, Ritze told the station that the proposal — which faced immediate backlash and was called "utterly shameful" by the state schools superintendent — could save $60 million.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-nation/wp/2017/05/11/one-gop-lawmakers-plan-to-save-money-turning-non-english-speaking-kids-over-to-ice/?utm_term=.66b5f3e09c82&wpisrc=nl_az_most&wpmk=1

CountDeMoney

QuoteThe candidates so far include veterans of the legal and law enforcement worlds, and several with extensive political experience in Washington. Among them are Senator John Cornyn of Texas, the No. 2 Republican in the chamber; Representative Trey Gowdy of South Carolina, who led the most recent congressional investigation into the Benghazi attacks; and a dark-horse candidate, Raymond W. Kelly, the former New York City police commissioner.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/12/us/politics/fbi-interim-director.html

Trey Gowdy? :bleeding:  Kelly Ayotte? :bleeding:

Ed Anger

Quote from: Jacob on May 12, 2017, 01:14:06 PM

I laughed.

I also need the LIBERUL TEARS mug.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

11B4V

Quote from: Jacob on May 12, 2017, 05:20:14 PM
QuoteRepublicans in the Oklahoma state legislature have a challenge on their hands: figuring out how to address a gaping $900 million hole in the state budget without raising taxes.

Some lawmakers have proposed firing nonessential college employees. Others want to drop a film tax credit, saving the state as much as $5 million.

Republican Rep. Mike Ritze told CBS affiliate KWTV that he has another proposal in mind: Rounding up the state's 82,000 non-English-speaking students and handing them over to Immigration and Customs Enforcement.

"Identify them and then turn them over to ICE to see if they truly are citizens — and do we really have to educate noncitizens?" Ritze asked.

The lawmaker disagrees with the idea that the state should be responsible for educating children who aren't citizens, though a 1982 Supreme Court decision, Plyler v. Doe, actually prohibits states from denying education to undocumented immigrants.

Still, Ritze told the station that the proposal — which faced immediate backlash and was called "utterly shameful" by the state schools superintendent — could save $60 million.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-nation/wp/2017/05/11/one-gop-lawmakers-plan-to-save-money-turning-non-english-speaking-kids-over-to-ice/?utm_term=.66b5f3e09c82&wpisrc=nl_az_most&wpmk=1

WTF  :lol:

Quick officer he's brown skinned get him.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

CountDeMoney

That's a lot of fingerprint cards for Otto to process.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Oexmelin on May 12, 2017, 04:38:53 PM

It's appears very close to the dynamics of political life in eighteenth-century regimes.

Seems about right since our distribution of wealth is similar as well.

11B4V

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 12, 2017, 08:30:53 PM
That's a lot of fingerprint cards for Otto to process.

Where's Jon Stewart. Fuck
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

CountDeMoney

"President Trump is acting in accordance with his competence"
--Vladimir Putin

11B4V

11B4V

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 12, 2017, 09:56:40 PM
"President Trump is acting in accordance with his competence"
--Vladimir Putin

Yet silence from the flag waving GOP.

Jacob