News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfred russel

Of all the things to ridicule Martim about, I don't get why the ambassador thing caught on...is having dinner with the Portuguese ambassador (or whoever it was) really a big deal? it seems believable to me.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Eddie Teach

I can't recall the other things to ridicule him about.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Brain

It's not just ambassadors, it's meeting and talking to all kinds of VIPs.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

alfred russel

Quote from: The Brain on February 14, 2017, 04:23:37 PM
It's not just ambassadors, it's meeting and talking to all kinds of VIPs.

Isn't he some sort of journalist?
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

jimmy olsen

As much I'd love to see congress get in a fight with Trump, I think it's still a little to early for that.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/ethics-office-says-kellyanne-conway-likely-broke-federal-rules/2017/02/14/0899e94c-f2ed-11e6-a9b0-ecee7ce475fc_story.html?utm_term=.d7fa0a5c264e

Chaffetz, Cummings support ethics office opinion that Conway likely broke rules

By Matea Gold 

February 14 at 5:48 PM  

The director of the Office of Government Ethics said there is "strong reason to believe" that senior adviser Kellyanne Conway violated federal rules by endorsing Ivanka Trump's clothing line, urging the White House to investigate the matter and consider disciplining her.

In a Feb. 13 letter to White House Deputy Counsel Stefan Passantino, OGE Director Walter M. Shaub Jr., wrote that Conway's comments appeared to be "a clear violation" of federal ethics rules that bar federal employees from using their public office to endorse a product.

"Under the present circumstances, there is strong reason to believe that Ms. Conway has violated the Standards of Conduct and that disciplinary action is warranted," he wrote.

[Letter urging investigation of Conway]

Shaub added that the ethics agency has not been notified whether the White House has disciplined Conway, even though press secretary Sean Spicer said she was "counseled" after she promoted Ivanka Trump's brand on Fox News.

White House officials did not respond to requests for comment. Conway declined to comment.

House Oversight Committee Chairman Jason Chaffetz (R-Utah), who last week called Conway's comments, "absolutely wrong, wrong, wrong" and asked OGE to recommend disciplinary action, called on President Trump to follow the agency's advice.

"I appreciate the quick response from OGE and hope the White House heeds their recommendation," he said in a statement.

That was echoed by Rep. Elijah E. Cummings (Md.), the ranking Democrat on the House Oversight Committee, who on Tuesday described Conway's remarks "a textbook violation of federal ethics rules."

The ethics agency does not have investigative powers or enforcement authority. But the letter from Shaub steps up the pressure on the White House Counsel's Office to disclose whether it took any action in response to Conway's remarks. Shaub asked Passantino for a response by Feb. 28.

The episode began when Conway appeared on "Fox & Friends" Feb. 9 from the White House briefing room and addressed efforts by activists to get retailers such as Nordstrom to stop carrying Ivanka Trump items. In response, she touted the "wonderful line" of clothing, shoes and accessories marketed under the Ivanka Trump brand.

"I'm going to give a free commercial here," she added. "Go buy it today, everybody. You can find it online."

Shaub noted in his letter that Conway's remarks closely resembled a hypothetical example in the federal regulations of the kind of endorsement of a private product that federal employees are barred from making.

"Ms. Conway's actions track that example almost exactly," he wrote. "Therefore, I recommend that the White House investigate Ms. Conway's actions and consider taking disciplinary action against her."

Ethics experts said that violating the rule barring using one's public office for private gain can trigger a variety of disciplinary actions, including a multiday suspension or loss of pay. U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service employees, for instance, face a five-day suspension or termination for such a violation.

But OGE has little recourse if the White House declines to take any disciplinary actions, as Shaub noted in a separate letter to the House Oversight Committee. The ethics office can merely issue a "nonbinding" recommendation and inform the president if an agency is failing to discipline an employee.

"However, such notice would be ineffective in this case because any decision not to take disciplinary action will have been made by the President," Shaub added.

Government watchdog groups said that they have little expectation that Trump will levy any punishment, noting that Conway was following his example of publicly promoting private products. (The president and vice president are exempt from the regulations governing the use of public office for private gain.)

"Forgive us if we don't hold our breath," said Robert Weissman, president of the nonprofit group Public Citizen.

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

11B4V

Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 14, 2017, 07:11:04 PM
As much I'd love to see congress get in a fight with Trump, I think it's still a little to early for that.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/ethics-office-says-kellyanne-conway-likely-broke-federal-rules/2017/02/14/0899e94c-f2ed-11e6-a9b0-ecee7ce475fc_story.html?utm_term=.d7fa0a5c264e

Chaffetz, Cummings support ethics office opinion that Conway likely broke rules

By Matea Gold 

February 14 at 5:48 PM  

The director of the Office of Government Ethics said there is "strong reason to believe" that senior adviser Kellyanne Conway violated federal rules by endorsing Ivanka Trump's clothing line, urging the White House to investigate the matter and consider disciplining her.

In a Feb. 13 letter to White House Deputy Counsel Stefan Passantino, OGE Director Walter M. Shaub Jr., wrote that Conway's comments appeared to be "a clear violation" of federal ethics rules that bar federal employees from using their public office to endorse a product.

"Under the present circumstances, there is strong reason to believe that Ms. Conway has violated the Standards of Conduct and that disciplinary action is warranted," he wrote.

[Letter urging investigation of Conway]

Shaub added that the ethics agency has not been notified whether the White House has disciplined Conway, even though press secretary Sean Spicer said she was "counseled" after she promoted Ivanka Trump's brand on Fox News.

White House officials did not respond to requests for comment. Conway declined to comment.

House Oversight Committee Chairman Jason Chaffetz (R-Utah), who last week called Conway's comments, "absolutely wrong, wrong, wrong" and asked OGE to recommend disciplinary action, called on President Trump to follow the agency's advice.

"I appreciate the quick response from OGE and hope the White House heeds their recommendation," he said in a statement.

That was echoed by Rep. Elijah E. Cummings (Md.), the ranking Democrat on the House Oversight Committee, who on Tuesday described Conway's remarks "a textbook violation of federal ethics rules."

The ethics agency does not have investigative powers or enforcement authority. But the letter from Shaub steps up the pressure on the White House Counsel's Office to disclose whether it took any action in response to Conway's remarks. Shaub asked Passantino for a response by Feb. 28.

The episode began when Conway appeared on "Fox & Friends" Feb. 9 from the White House briefing room and addressed efforts by activists to get retailers such as Nordstrom to stop carrying Ivanka Trump items. In response, she touted the "wonderful line" of clothing, shoes and accessories marketed under the Ivanka Trump brand.

"I'm going to give a free commercial here," she added. "Go buy it today, everybody. You can find it online."

Shaub noted in his letter that Conway's remarks closely resembled a hypothetical example in the federal regulations of the kind of endorsement of a private product that federal employees are barred from making.

"Ms. Conway's actions track that example almost exactly," he wrote. "Therefore, I recommend that the White House investigate Ms. Conway's actions and consider taking disciplinary action against her."

Ethics experts said that violating the rule barring using one's public office for private gain can trigger a variety of disciplinary actions, including a multiday suspension or loss of pay. U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service employees, for instance, face a five-day suspension or termination for such a violation.

But OGE has little recourse if the White House declines to take any disciplinary actions, as Shaub noted in a separate letter to the House Oversight Committee. The ethics office can merely issue a "nonbinding" recommendation and inform the president if an agency is failing to discipline an employee.

"However, such notice would be ineffective in this case because any decision not to take disciplinary action will have been made by the President," Shaub added.

Government watchdog groups said that they have little expectation that Trump will levy any punishment, noting that Conway was following his example of publicly promoting private products. (The president and vice president are exempt from the regulations governing the use of public office for private gain.)

"Forgive us if we don't hold our breath," said Robert Weissman, president of the nonprofit group Public Citizen.

Tim, if you were a hot dog, would you eat yourself.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

11B4V

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ed Anger on February 14, 2017, 08:48:09 PM
http://www.rollcall.com/news/politics/kid-rock-eyed-as-potential-senate-candidate

LOLWUT

I worked with a guy whose band toured with Kid Rock once upon a time. :lol:

I asked him about the rock n' roll life; he said, "You know all the things that come to mind when you think about the answer to 'Gee, what's it like to go on tour with Kid Rock?'  Well, it's pretty much that."

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Monoriu

As a general rule, celebrities should stay out of politics.