News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: Eddie Teach on February 11, 2017, 11:00:10 AM
If this refers to Conways product endorsement, it's legit on the basis of "who gives a fuck?"

I think the question in the case of Conway is whether or not she was acting in an official capacity when the was being interviewed.  My own opinion is that, no, she wasn't.  She was being interviewed as herself, not as a spokesperson for the US government.  Hence, I think her endorsement merely amounts to embarrassingly blatant asskissing.  That's not illegal.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

DontSayBanana

Quote from: LaCroix on February 10, 2017, 08:31:22 PM
Quote from: boghProblem being that Warren didn't actually break a rule (as the rule applies to Senators, not nominees) and got punished, whereas Conway clearly broke a law and wasn't punished. So not so lol really.

those enforcing the rule interpreted it as applying to her, and a broad reading could make the rule apply to her. assuming kellyanne said something she shouldn't have said, which I think is arguable, then it's a question of how narrowly the rule can be interpreted so as to free her from punishment. I haven't read the rule, but I can safely say not punishing her is legit

Except there's no broad reading required to say that Conway broke the law.

Quote from: 5 CFR 2635.702(c)Endorsements. An employee shall not use or permit the use of his Government position or title or any authority associated with his public office to endorse any product, service or enterprise except:

(1) In furtherance of statutory authority to promote products, services or enterprises; or

(2) As a result of documentation of compliance with agency requirements or standards or as the result of recognition for achievement given under an agency program of recognition for accomplishment in support of the agency's mission.

The law explicitly states that the only way she can do what she did is by writing a law giving her the power to do that or by the Executive Office of the President of the United States having a policy of endorsing Ivanka Trump's products, which is obviously not the case.  This law makes clear exemptions and doesn't give any room for Conway to say it's a matter of "interpretation."
Experience bij!

bogh

Quote from: grumbler on February 11, 2017, 11:22:40 AM
Quote from: Eddie Teach on February 11, 2017, 11:00:10 AM
If this refers to Conways product endorsement, it's legit on the basis of "who gives a fuck?"

I think the question in the case of Conway is whether or not she was acting in an official capacity when the was being interviewed.  My own opinion is that, no, she wasn't.  She was being interviewed as herself, not as a spokesperson for the US government.  Hence, I think her endorsement merely amounts to embarrassingly blatant asskissing.  That's not illegal.

She was giving a tv interview under her title. She used her position to promote something.

mongers

Someone's aunt weighs in on the literary implications of Trump's election:

Canada's best-known writer Margaret Atwood said it was largely worries about women's issues after the U.S. election that made her book "The Handmaid's Tale" the latest dystopian novel to shoot back up bestseller lists.

The book, about a theocratic dictatorship in the United States where women are forced to bear children for the ruling class, topped Amazon's best seller list earlier this week, and still ranks in the top ten.

In an interview during Cuba's international book fair, where Canada is guest of honor, Atwood said sales of "The Handmaid's Tale" were also boosted by a trailer during the Super Bowl for its new televised adaptation by video streaming site Hulu.

"When it first came out it was viewed as being farfetched," the 77-year old grande dame of Canadian literature said of her novel that was originally published in 1985.

"However when I wrote it I was making sure I wasn't putting anything into it that human beings had not already done somewhere at sometime."

Atwood, a prolific writer who won the Booker Prize in 2000 for "The Blind Assassin", said "The Handmaid's Tale" was inspired by her studies of 17th century America and its Puritan values.

"You are seeing a bubbling up of it now," she said, referring in particular to moves under U.S. President Donald Trump to restrict the right to abortion. Trump said last year women should face punishment if they receive abortions.

"It's back to 17th century puritan values of new England at that time in which women were pretty low on the hierarchy".

Full item here:

http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSKBN15Q0E2?utm_campaign=trueAnthem:+Trending+Content&utm_content=589f3d3804d3010f3fe5ffa7&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=twitter
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

grumbler

Quote from: bogh on February 11, 2017, 12:00:08 PM
She was giving a tv interview under her title. She used her position to promote something.

I retract my earlier argument - I hadn't seen that she was standing in front of the White House seal in the Briefing Room.  That makes her endorsement a nono, even if she was just speaking as herself.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

LaCroix

Quote from: DontSayBanana[/quoteExcept there's no broad reading required to say that Conway broke the law.

I never said a broad reading was "required." I said a broad reading "could."

also I googled this whole kellyanne thing and wtf why are people talking about this? she received appropriate discipline as the rules state

LaCroix

Quote from: viper37 on February 11, 2017, 10:31:44 AMIf some guys keeps saying he wants to kill muslims, and then when on trial for shooting muslims he says in his defense that he has nothing against muslims, his previous speech should be held against him to determine the truthfullness of his testimony.

this isn't a criminal trial, so the precedence is different. if this were a criminal trial, yes that would be important. you don't want to open that box with this situation, because it could easily lead to bad consequences. precedential value is one of the key considerations by appellate courts

CountDeMoney

Quote from: LaCroix on February 11, 2017, 12:14:13 PM
also I googled this whole kellyanne thing and wtf why are people talking about this?

Because it's against the law, and she signed the appropriate paperwork when she became a federal employee.

Quoteshe received appropriate discipline as the rules state

Important safety tip, Marti:  if you're going to pretend to be a US law school grad, you have to pretend you actually know more about US law than you do as a shitty Polish lawyer.  You fail at sock puppets, you can't even keep it mildly interesting.

bogh

Quote from: LaCroix on February 11, 2017, 12:14:13 PM
Quote from: DontSayBanana[/quoteExcept there's no broad reading required to say that Conway broke the law.

I never said a broad reading was "required." I said a broad reading "could."

also I googled this whole kellyanne thing and wtf why are people talking about this? she received appropriate discipline as the rules state

The discipline that she received was an "I got your back" and a thumbs up from the president. Do you really think that's appropriate for clearly violating a law?

grumbler

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 11, 2017, 12:52:27 PM
Important safety tip, Marti:  if you're going to pretend to be a US law school grad, you have to pretend you actually know more about US law than you do as a shitty Polish lawyer.  You fail at sock puppets, you can't even keep it mildly interesting.

I question whether this is Marti because Marti doesn't strike me as having the patience or presence of mind to maintain such a long string of posts without effective punctuation.  I think we have a homegrown lawyer-wannabe here.  You are right about the "can't even keep it mildly interesting" part - there isn't a poster here, bar Mongers, who couldn't write every one of LaCrock's posts for him.

Bayraktar!

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

mongers

Quote from: grumbler on February 11, 2017, 02:15:48 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 11, 2017, 12:52:27 PM

I question whether this is Marti because Marti doesn't strike me as having the patience or presence of mind to maintain such a long string of posts without effective punctuation.  I think we have a homegrown lawyer-wannabe here.  You are right about the "can't even keep it mildly interesting" part - there isn't a poster here, bar Mongers, who couldn't write every one of LaCrock's posts for him.

Your thing for me was initial quite cute, then it got a bit stalker like with your following me from thread to thread, but I was wrong, it's just a bit of your sadness, that you attempt to run other posters down and engage in personal attacks.

I'm hoping against hope, you'll get better one day. :hug:

You're right about one thing, I couldn't be arsed to de-construct or impersonate LaCroix, that's his own problem and I have way better things to do than overly engage with internet trolls. 

Best wishes,

Mongers.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

mongers

Quote from: Eddie Teach on February 11, 2017, 03:42:45 PM
Quote from: garbon on February 11, 2017, 02:22:44 PM
:yes:

More likely to be Dorsey than Marti.

Now I think it's Mongers. :shifty:

:lol:

Remember when Jaron was or at least was claimed to be the arch inventor of sock puppets?

In those days every other suspicious new poster was attributed to him, but did he really ever do many or have much patience for it?

grumbler

Quote from: mongers on February 11, 2017, 03:36:55 PM
Your thing for me was initial quite cute, then it got a bit stalker like with your following me from thread to thread, but I was wrong, it's just a bit of your sadness, that you attempt to run other posters down and engage in personal attacks.

I'm hoping against hope, you'll get better one day. :hug:

You're right about one thing, I couldn't be arsed to de-construct or impersonate LaCroix, that's his own problem and I have way better things to do than overly engage with internet trolls. 

Best wishes,

Mongers.

:lol:  Sorry, but the combination of hyper-thin skin and otnay ootay ightbra is as irresistible in you as it is in the orange tinted fellow.  It will probably remain so.  SAD!

Best wishes,

grumbler

Bayraktar!