News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaCroix

Quote from: grumbler on January 30, 2017, 10:14:16 PMthat's absolutely what she is saying:  don't waste time defending an unlawful act.

she didn't say it was unlawful. she said "I'm not convinced it's lawful"

grumbler

Quote from: LaCroix on January 30, 2017, 09:29:41 PM
her entire job is supposed to be non-partisan. she has no ability under the constitution to direct the DOJ in ways independent from congress and the executive. there simply is no constitutional mechanism for what she just ordered the DOJ to do. plus, she didn't even say it was unlawful, she said she was unsure

not that this is a constitutional crisis by any means, but it's funny that this is much closer to one than the bs over the weekend. and the same people who raged about that are probably cheering about / rationalizing this

Almost all of this is wrong.  The AG has independent power within the purview of her job, and does not have to rubber-stamp the president's actions; in fact, the Ag may be responsible under some circumstances for investigating the president's actions.  If she does not believe a presidential order is lawful, she can not defend it.  Of course, any but a bonehead president will get an AG ruling on an executive order like this!

She can get fired for her independent stance, and was.  That's the consequence of being an appointee.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Valmy

Quote from: LaCroix on January 30, 2017, 10:23:37 PM
Quote from: grumbler on January 30, 2017, 10:14:16 PMthat's absolutely what she is saying:  don't waste time defending an unlawful act.

she didn't say it was unlawful. she said "I'm not convinced it's lawful"

:frusty:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

grumbler

Quote from: Zanza on January 30, 2017, 09:38:49 PM
Is it? I was under the impression that political appointees are not expected to be non-partisan but rather meant to be the president's partisan representative in the agency they are in.

Some cabinet posts have some independent powers, like the AG does.  Unless a special prosecutor is named, the AG's office investigates allegations of executive branch and presidential misconduct.  The AG thus cannot be a rubber stamp for the President.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: LaCroix on January 30, 2017, 09:52:43 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 30, 2017, 09:49:37 PMSure there is.  She's a lawyer, she's the one that has to prosecute cases or conduct legal defenses in such matters.

she conducts legal defenses and initiates legal actions all at the pleasure of the president

Are you sure you've been to law school?

Bayraktar!

Admiral Yi

I'm leaning towards Dakota on this one.  It's not her call what's wise and just.  If she needs more time to determine if the act is legal, she should have just said that.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: grumbler on January 30, 2017, 10:24:13 PM
If she does not believe a presidential order is lawful, she can not defend it.

Weren't there US attorneys in courts this weekend trying to do exactly that, and failing?

grumbler

Quote from: LaCroix on January 30, 2017, 10:14:12 PM
who cares what a pakistani cricketer says

Well, we don't really care what you say, really, but nice to see you've dropped that SDCCLSaH pose.

Bayraktar!

alfred russel

Quote from: grumbler on January 30, 2017, 10:27:05 PM
the AG's office investigates allegations of executive branch and presidential misconduct.  The AG thus cannot be a rubber stamp for the President.

I'm sure Jeff Sessions is going to be all over that.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

katmai

Quote from: sbr on January 30, 2017, 10:30:09 PM
Jesus, to imagine there is someone dumber than Marti boggles the brain.
six billion people, there had to be one...right?
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

grumbler

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 30, 2017, 10:29:46 PM
I'm leaning towards Dakota on this one.  It's not her call what's wise and just.  If she needs more time to determine if the act is legal, she should have just said that.

She knew she was going to get fired over this (see "Saturday Night Massacre") but thought she could go out sounding as noble as possible.  Asking for more time with 4 hours left in your term in office is weak sauce.

Bayraktar!

LaCroix

Quote from: katmai on January 30, 2017, 10:31:14 PM
Quote from: sbr on January 30, 2017, 10:30:09 PM
Jesus, to imagine there is someone dumber than Marti boggles the brain.
six billion people, there had to be one...right?

:D was sbr's post deleted after he saw yi post?

CountDeMoney

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

mongers

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"