And we're back!

Main Menu

What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

Quote from: Valmy on January 30, 2017, 09:12:20 PM
Quote from: Jacob on January 30, 2017, 09:10:07 PM
Why would Trump need majority support to remain in power? He got elected with less than that. If the GOP continues voter suppression efforts they can coast for a while on the "haha suck it Liberals" and "well, I'm okay personally so it ain't so bad" crowds... especially if something surprising happens at an opportune time to rally patriot fervour around the president (the US is under attack!) or discredit the opposition candidate (spurious allegations from the FBI, f. ex.).

Look despite what some of their more extreme elements might do most Republicans (and Independents) do like the Constitution and our system of government and they are not going to stand by and allow it to be unraveled. There are only so many votes one can suppress.
They certainly think they like those things.  But the way they consistently act shows them to be liars, at the very least to themselves.

Jacob

Quote from: Jacob on January 30, 2017, 09:10:07 PM
Why would Trump need majority support to remain in power? He got elected with less than that. If the GOP continues voter suppression efforts they can coast for a while on the "haha suck it Liberals" and "well, I'm okay personally so it ain't so bad" crowds... especially if something surprising happens at an opportune time to rally patriot fervour around the president (the US is under attack!) or discredit the opposition candidate (spurious allegations from the FBI, f. ex.).

Look despite what some of their more extreme elements might do most Republicans (and Independents) do like the Constitution and our system of government and they are not going to stand by and allow it to be unraveled. There are only so many votes one can suppress.

I'm afraid we are going to see if that holds true. People can be pretty good at accepting flimflam excuses if they have a reason to like self-interest or not having to admit having done something wrong.

Zanza

The Acting AG is a political apointee serving at the pleasure of the president not a career officer, right? Why would you not expect a political stance then? Especially the party of anti-governance can hardly expect their opponents to cooperate.

Valmy

Quote from: Zanza on January 30, 2017, 09:16:06 PM
The Acting AG is a political apointee serving at the pleasure of the president not a career officer, right? Why would you not expect a political stance then? Especially the party of anti-governance can hardly expect their opponents to cooperate.

Well yeah. Trump needs to get his people in there before he can expect smooth cooperation with a really controversial move like that EO.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

CountDeMoney

There are only so many votes one may suppress.

They figured out a while ago that you don't need to suppress them all, you just need to suppress enough of them. 

That's what makes all these voter ID/reform/fraud efforts so effective:  they're not trying to take away peoples' right to vote, just make difficult enough to not even try.  :)

CountDeMoney

:lol: She's been fired.  Knew that was going to happen.  #BadBorkRising

Valmy

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 30, 2017, 09:24:27 PM

And she should be. But she was already in her last days anyway. Obama will give her a good reference.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Razgovory

Quote from: Valmy on January 30, 2017, 09:25:22 PM

And she should be. But she was already in her last days anyway. Obama will give her a good reference.

I think Trump just gave her one of the best references she could get.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

LaCroix

her entire job is supposed to be non-partisan. she has no ability under the constitution to direct the DOJ in ways independent from congress and the executive. there simply is no constitutional mechanism for what she just ordered the DOJ to do. plus, she didn't even say it was unlawful, she said she was unsure

not that this is a constitutional crisis by any means, but it's funny that this is much closer to one than the bs over the weekend. and the same people who raged about that are probably cheering about / rationalizing this

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Valmy on January 30, 2017, 09:25:22 PM

#BreakingBork

Zanza

Quote from: LaCroix on January 30, 2017, 09:29:41 PM

her entire job is supposed to be non-partisan.
Is it? I was under the impression that political appointees are not expected to be non-partisan but rather meant to be the president's partisan representative in the agency they are in.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: LaCroix on January 30, 2017, 09:29:41 PM
her entire job is supposed to be non-partisan. she has no ability under the constitution to direct the DOJ in ways independent from congress and the executive. there simply is no constitutional mechanism for what she just ordered the DOJ to do. plus, she didn't even say it was unlawful, she said she was unsure

Sure there is.  She's a lawyer, she's the one that has to prosecute cases or conduct legal defenses in such matters.

LaCroix

Quote from: Zanza on January 30, 2017, 09:38:49 PMIs it? I was under the impression that political appointees are not expected to be non-partisan but rather meant to be the president's partisan representative in the agency they are in.

yes, they are -- usually it means a conservative-leaning person is appointed under a conservative-leaning president, and vice versa with liberal-leaning. so, you get conservative AGs and liberal AGs, but they're acting entirely under their conservative president or liberal president. when the president changes and for that short amount of time that there's a liberal AG under a conservative president, the liberal AG must still adhere to the president. why? because the person's entire authority is delegated by congress and the executive. they have no ability to act outside this authority.

so, she acted without any constitutional authority by refusing the president, and she ordered her entire department to defy the president all because she was "unsure" about the legality of an executive order. it's a pretty crazy act what she did, hence why I was like "OMG"

LaCroix

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 30, 2017, 09:49:37 PMSure there is.  She's a lawyer, she's the one that has to prosecute cases or conduct legal defenses in such matters.

she conducts legal defenses and initiates legal actions all at the pleasure of the president

Ed Anger

The White House statement on the firing was hilarious.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive