News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dps

Quote from: LaCroix on January 30, 2017, 07:07:43 PM
she's telling everyone not to do their job because she doesn't like the decision made by the new president

I think she's telling them not to waste their time because the courts are going to toss out the order anyway.

LaCroix

Quote from: Valmy on January 30, 2017, 07:08:28 PM
Can your provide more thoughtful analysis than 'OMG' 'LOLZ' and other bullshit? That would be great.

what else is there to say, really? she acknowledges it's the DOJ's job to find reasonable arguments to support the executive's actions, and then she goes down a crazy rabbit hole to justify why she's using her position as attorney general of the united states to stick it to trump.

Valmy

Quote from: LaCroix on January 30, 2017, 07:07:43 PM
she's telling everyone not to do their job because she doesn't like the decision made by the new president

Ok. There you go.

Well she is not Trump's creature so logically if he does something really out there he may have problems. Probably more prudent to wait until you have your people in place.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: LaCroix on January 30, 2017, 07:10:31 PM
Quote from: Valmy on January 30, 2017, 07:08:28 PM
Can your provide more thoughtful analysis than 'OMG' 'LOLZ' and other bullshit? That would be great.

what else is there to say, really? she acknowledges it's the DOJ's job to find reasonable arguments to support the executive's actions, and then she goes down a crazy rabbit hole to justify why she's using her position as attorney general of the united states to stick it to trump.

Well that is on Trump. Poor attention to detail and poor leadership. Did he even consult with this woman if she was essential to his plans? Did he wait until she was gone? Nope. Just full steam ahead.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

LaCroix

Quote from: dps on January 30, 2017, 07:10:17 PMI think she's telling them not to waste their time because the courts are going to toss out the order anyway.

that is absolutely not what she's saying

LaCroix

Quote from: Valmy on January 30, 2017, 07:12:02 PMWell that is on Trump. Poor attention to detail and poor leadership. Did he even consult with this woman if she was essential to his plans? Did he wait until she was gone? Nope. Just full steam ahead.

it's on the attorney general to not order the department of justice to refuse to make legal arguments defending trump's executive order

Valmy

Quote from: LaCroix on January 30, 2017, 07:12:08 PM
Quote from: dps on January 30, 2017, 07:10:17 PMI think she's telling them not to waste their time because the courts are going to toss out the order anyway.

Nah she thinks the order is evil and unjust and maybe even illegal and therefore she is not going to help. Not really in the spirit of the office but the office is supposed to have people loyal to the President filling it.

LaCroix

Quote from: Valmy on January 30, 2017, 07:15:52 PMNah she thinks the order is evil and unjust and maybe even illegal and therefore she is not going to help. Not really in the spirit of the office but the office is supposed to have people loyal to the President filling it.

"not really in the spirit of the office" ..or the spirit of how transitions between presidents work. I'd be saying the same thing if this was a republican appointee flatly ordering the DOJ to not carry out some obama executive order establishing a day for hugs, and languish would react similarly. instead, it's "not really in the spirit" and "but ya know"  :lol:

Valmy

Quote from: LaCroix on January 30, 2017, 07:14:13 PM
Quote from: Valmy on January 30, 2017, 07:12:02 PMWell that is on Trump. Poor attention to detail and poor leadership. Did he even consult with this woman if she was essential to his plans? Did he wait until she was gone? Nope. Just full steam ahead.

it's on the attorney general to not order the department of justice to refuse to make legal arguments defending trump's executive order

Well I disagree. We are not an authoritarian government. If a department head really feels like an EO is unjust and illegal I would hope they would refuse to comply. Particularly if they have the guts to do it publicly and not all passive-aggressively bureaucratic like.

Trump's Executive Branch is still a mess, with hundreds of unfilled appointments, but he pushed ahead anyway.

Valmy

Quote from: LaCroix on January 30, 2017, 07:18:57 PM
Quote from: Valmy on January 30, 2017, 07:15:52 PMNah she thinks the order is evil and unjust and maybe even illegal and therefore she is not going to help. Not really in the spirit of the office but the office is supposed to have people loyal to the President filling it.

"not really in the spirit of the office" ..or the spirit of how transitions between presidents work. I'd be saying the same thing if this was a republican appointee flatly ordering the DOJ to not carry out some obama executive order establishing a day for hugs, and languish would react similarly. instead, it's "not really in the spirit" and "but ya know"  :lol:

And you bring up some strawman bullshit to deflect. How typically fucking dishonest and manipulative. God I hate debating with you. And you just had to add the :lol: at the end just to be a super asshole.

LaCroix

Quote from: Valmy on January 30, 2017, 07:27:50 PMAnd you bring up some strawman bullshit to deflect. How typically fucking dishonest and manipulative. God I hate debating with you. And you just had to add the :lol: at the end just to be a super asshole.

dude, you started off bitching me out, and you're doing it again right here

I think I'm absolutely right that if the situation was changed that it was a department head refusing to do its job and actually ordering its department to obstruct the executive ... but maybe the subject matter was something like an EO establishing gay marriage before obergefell ... then you'd be saying something different

dps

Quote from: Valmy on January 30, 2017, 07:15:52 PM
Quote from: LaCroix on January 30, 2017, 07:12:08 PM

Nah she thinks the order is evil and unjust and maybe even illegal and therefore she is not going to help. Not really in the spirit of the office but the office is supposed to have people loyal to the President filling it.

Well, I'm not saying that she doesn't feel that way, too, but until I read what Syt posted in the other thread, I figured (and I think almost all of the rest of us agreed) that Trump's order was clearly illegal.  I had posted the bit about the order going to be tossed by the courts before I had read that.

LaCroix

if public perception re immigration ban doesn't change much, stuff like this just makes the democratic party look more ridiculous

Oexmelin

Quote from: dps on January 30, 2017, 07:08:20 PM
Given that wording, it's no surprise that a majority answered "yes".  Saying "no" would amount to saying, "I don't thing the government need to improve its ability to screen out potential terrorists from entering the country" to a lot of people.  It's a leading question, and the pollsters should be ashamed for wording it that way.

Precisely. To that, add the fact that opinion polls are just such a shitty way to understand what "a majority of the people think".
Que le grand cric me croque !

LaCroix

oex, you know you've gone from "it's the size!" -> "it's the composition!" -> "it's the wording!" to now "'it's the type of poll!" in like eight hours, right?