News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

merithyn

American born, American passport, NASA scientist, returning home from Chili, has never visited any of the seven "questionable" countries... still detained by CBP and forced to give his phone and PIN in order to be released.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/nasa-scientists-detained-border-phone-unlock-trump-immigration-a7577906.html

QuoteA US-born NASA scientist said he was detained by customs officials and not permitted to enter the country unless he unlocked his PIN-protected work phone.

Sidd Bikkannavar, who works in NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory (JPL), was detained by US Customs and Border Patrol (CBP)  on January 30, upon returning to the United States from Santiago, Chile.

Mr Bikkannavar is a natural-born US citizen enrolled in CBP's Global Entry programme, which allows participants who have undergone a background check to speed up their entry into the US. He had not visited any of the countries mentioned in Donald Trump's Muslim travel ban, but Mr Bikkannavar told The Verge that agents may be become suspicious about his family name, which is southern Indian.

"Sorry for my absence. On my way back home to the US last weekend, I was detained by Homeland Security and held with others who were stranded under the Muslim ban," he wrote on Facebook.

"CBP officers seized my phone and wouldn't release me until I gave them my  access PIN for them to copy the data. I initially refused since it's a JPL-issued phone and I must protect access."

He added: "Just to be clear - I'm a US-born citizen and NASA engineer, traveling with a valid US-visa."

Mr Bikkannavar said he was eventually released. His employers gave him a new phone.

Yet he told The Verge, he had yet to receive an explanation for why he was stopped at Houston's George Bush Intercontinental Airport. He had travelled to South America for personal reasons, pursuing his hobby of racing solar-powered cars. He had recently joined a Chilean team.

"It was not that they were concerned with me bringing something dangerous in, because they didn't even touch the bags," he said.

"They had no way of knowing I could have had something in there. You can say, 'Okay well maybe it's about making sure I'm not a dangerous person', but they have all the information to verify that."
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

CountDeMoney

Quote"CBP officers seized my phone and wouldn't release me until I gave them my  access PIN for them to copy the data. I initially refused since it's a JPL-issued phone and I must protect access."

So easy to get people fired these days:  by getting them to do things to fire themselves. 

merithyn

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 13, 2017, 01:38:14 PM
Quote"CBP officers seized my phone and wouldn't release me until I gave them my  access PIN for them to copy the data. I initially refused since it's a JPL-issued phone and I must protect access."

So easy to get people fired these days:  by getting them to do things to fire themselves.

I think my response would have been, "Here is my boss' phone number. Call him and ask him if it's okay."
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Syt

I'm sure the Kremlin has top men looking into the data as we speak. Top. Men.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: merithyn on February 13, 2017, 01:40:19 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 13, 2017, 01:38:14 PM

I think my response would have been, "Here is my boss' phone number. Call him and ask him if it's okay."

That would still be an absolute no-no.

You tell them to be sure to take it out of its case, so it doesn't hurt as much when they shove it up their asses.
Then you sit down.  And wait.

Oexmelin

With all due respect, I hope it would have been your response, but being in CBP detention is fucking scary, added to the fact that it now happens to people who never had to imagine themselves in this situation. No one in this situation exactly knows the extent of the CBP officers' power, it is hugely discretionary anyways, and will become even more so in the future. You don't really know what you have the right to refuse, what the consequences are, or any of this shit - and in the moment, you do not fully know how you will react. A mention in your file fucks up your travel, your career, and possibly your stay in the country. 
Que le grand cric me croque !

Syt

People will have noticed Trump's tendency to do a "yank & pull" handshake, generally interpreted as a power play. One of the more awkward examples was when he congratulated Gorsuch on his SCOTUS nomination.

Justin Trudeau apparently did his homework and stood fast: https://twitter.com/ABC/status/831171027845554176/video/1
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

CountDeMoney

You don't give your password to your JPL-issued cellular telephone to a high school graduate, it doesn't matter how much they can fuck with you.  Which is why they have people like supervisors to make sure they don't do stupid shit like this.

viper37

Quote from: merithyn on February 13, 2017, 01:34:19 PM
American born, American passport, NASA scientist, returning home from Chili, has never visited any of the seven "questionable" countries... still detained by CBP and forced to give his phone and PIN in order to be released.

similar things happens to Canadian citizens with Canadian passport.  Not a muslim ban, but anyone with a muslim sounding name is triple checked and denied entry to the US if he isn't a citizen.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Syt on February 13, 2017, 01:49:48 PM
People will have noticed Trump's tendency to do a "yank & pull" handshake, generally interpreted as a power play. One of the more awkward examples was when he congratulated Gorsuch on his SCOTUS nomination.

Justin Trudeau apparently did his homework and stood fast: https://twitter.com/ABC/status/831171027845554176/video/1

:wub:
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

garbon

Quote from: Oexmelin on February 13, 2017, 01:46:53 PM

With all due respect, I hope it would have been your response, but being in CBP detention is fucking scary, added to the fact that it now happens to people who never had to imagine themselves in this situation. No one in this situation exactly knows the extent of the CBP officers' power, it is hugely discretionary anyways, and will become even more so in the future. You don't really know what you have the right to refuse, what the consequences are, or any of this shit - and in the moment, you do not fully know how you will react. A mention in your file fucks up your travel, your career, and possibly your stay in the country. 

Reminds me I should travel about with a few lawyer's numbers on hand.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Grey Fox

I love how when ever Trudeau switches to French, the americans faces get so dumbfounded.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

grumbler

Quote from: Grey Fox on February 13, 2017, 02:40:00 PM
I love how when ever Trudeau switches to French, the americans faces get so dumbfounded.

Sorta like when you switch to English?

:P
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

FunkMonk

With all the leaks and opsec violations and general incompetence plaguing this administration the Israelis/Chinese/Russians/Martians must be having a field day at their spy agencies
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Syt

Quote from: Grey Fox on February 13, 2017, 02:40:00 PM

"You are invited to a demonstration of the wonders of multilingualism. No scribes allowed."
—Stephen Jay Gould