What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

LaCroix

it's a fair point when the average american hears more about one of trump's tweets than a terrorist attack. the guardian missed trump's point--average americans don't read the guardian.

mongers

Quote from: LaCroix on February 07, 2017, 10:42:48 AM
it's a fair point when the average american hears more about one of trump's tweets than a terrorist attack. the guardian missed trump's point--average americans don't read the guardian.

Your defence of the Trump position is that the average American/trump supporter doesn't read the mainstream media that does report on terrorist attack, presumably preferring to consume the social media that says 'the mainstream media doesn't report terrorist attacks'   :hmm:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

frunk

Quote from: Syt on February 07, 2017, 10:29:54 AM
Here's BBC's equivalent list: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-38890090?ocid=socialflow_facebook&ns_mchannel=social&ns_campaign=bbcnews&ns_source=facebook

Though obviously the Trumpettes will say that the attacks weren't covered nearly enough.

I'm willing to bet that the average terrorist attack gets way more reporting than an equivalent non-terrorist attack.  When was the last time a knife attack not in Paris got any reporting?

grumbler

Quote from: mongers on February 07, 2017, 10:24:59 AM
Quote from: Tamas on February 07, 2017, 10:20:11 AM
Quote from: mongers on February 07, 2017, 10:16:46 AM
an internal party coup that replaces him with the VP, the cabinet et al ruling him unfit for office via whatever polite formula they can devise.

So, an impeachment

No rather than the spectacle that was the Clinton impeachment show, we have swift internal coup that forces Trump to step down on say medical grounds, done and dusted in a morning. 

Now whatever dirt they use on him to force him to co-operate, doesn't matter just so long as it has the desired effect, they could probably get his odd personal doctor to sign a long term sick note also.

The removal process takes, ultimately, a 2/3 majority of both houses to maintain, so impeachment is easier.  That's even assuming, as you do, that Trump's hand-picked Assistant Trumpeters would be willing to turn against him.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

I don't think the guardian missed Trump's point at all.  Trump decided that a lie would serve his interests better than the truth, so he lied.  It is true that the Guardian missed the point that it is not necessary to actually say that trump's tweet is a lie; anyone can see when a trump tweet is a lie:  It has words in it.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

derspiess

Quote from: Razgovory on February 07, 2017, 10:11:19 AM
Quote from: derspiess on February 07, 2017, 09:44:55 AM
Maxine Waters said Trump will eventually need to be impeached.  She went on to say that Putin is advancing further into Korea.  You guys might be right about this "end of the world" shit :o

I bet Waters is the most reported on Democratic politician on Breitbart.

You'd probably know better than I, but she does provide plenty of material.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

garbon

Quote from: grumbler on February 07, 2017, 11:00:36 AM

I don't think the guardian missed Trump's point at all.  Trump decided that a lie would serve his interests better than the truth, so he lied.  It is true that the Guardian missed the point that it is not necessary to actually say that trump's tweet is a lie; anyone can see when a trump tweet is a lie:  It has words in it.

Of course it is understandable that all news orgs might want to put out a version noting they actually covered things as a refutation.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Tamas

Quote from: garbon on February 07, 2017, 11:27:41 AM
Quote from: grumbler on February 07, 2017, 11:00:36 AM

Of course it is understandable that all news orgs might want to put out a version noting they actually covered things as a refutation.

It is a very new situation where the POTUS is on the intelligence level of your average far-right conspiracy nut case,and is not afraid to show it.

The Minsky Moment

If the media can be blamed for anything in terms of terrorist coverage, it's giving too much play not too little. 
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

PDH

I hate dealing with 5 year olds, and the goddamn Americans went and elected one as President.

(I am a Bear Flag Republic citizen now).
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

viper37

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on February 06, 2017, 05:26:39 PM
Quote from: viper37 on February 06, 2017, 01:56:31 PM
Does that still applies for legal business forms were the owner is not legally seperated from its business?  I suppose you also have an equivalent of what we have here, very small businesses operating under a business name, but not incorporated, therefore from a legal and fiscal point of view, there is no difference between the owner and the business?

A person can operate a business as a sole proprietership, which is indistinguishable from the person.
Yes but then, are you allowed to invoke your religious feelings to legally discriminate against any particular group you want?
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

MadImmortalMan

You don't lose your rights just because you have a business.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Zanza

Pence had to cast the tie-breaker vote on a confirmation for a secretary for the first time in US history.

Berkut

If the Republicans are willing to confirm someone that transparently terrible, they might as well just all resign en masse - they clearly are just there to rubber stamp whatever Trump tells them.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned