What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

Quote from: Zanza on February 07, 2017, 01:19:44 PM
Pence had to cast the tie-breaker vote on a confirmation for a secretary for the first time in US history.

So Caligula has managed to get Incitatus named consul.

Oexmelin

In this case, it is more a case of DeVos standing in for what many Congressional Republicans believe (public schools bad!, choice good!, government bad!) and having bought all the others.
Que le grand cric me croque !

garbon

Quote from: PDH on February 07, 2017, 12:53:38 PM
I hate dealing with 5 year olds, and the goddamn Americans went and elected one as President.

(I am a Bear Flag Republic citizen now).

:swiss:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

frunk

Quote from: PDH on February 07, 2017, 12:53:38 PM
I hate dealing with 5 year olds, and the goddamn Americans went and elected one as President.

(I am a Bear Flag Republic citizen now).

I think my 3 year old would do a better job, she doesn't lie as much or throw as many tantrums.

derspiess

Good time to abolish the Department of Education :)
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Caliga

Quote from: Oexmelin on February 07, 2017, 01:28:27 PM
In this case, it is more a case of DeVos standing in for what many Congressional Republicans believe (public schools bad!, choice good!, government bad!) and having bought all the others.
I do think it's strange for people in government to say "government is bad!"  Don't be in government, then? :hmm:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

garbon

Quote from: Caliga on February 07, 2017, 01:52:34 PM
Quote from: Oexmelin on February 07, 2017, 01:28:27 PM
I do think it's strange for people in government to say "government is bad!"  Don't be in government, then? :hmm:

But where better to tear it apart? (aka redirect the funds to your own interests)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

grumbler

Quote from: derspiess on February 07, 2017, 01:46:08 PM

It's not the only department that should be abolished.  DHS should be on the block, as well as Energy, Agriculture, Labor, and Veterans Affairs. 
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

garbon

Quote from: grumbler on February 07, 2017, 01:57:41 PM

It's not the only department that should be abolished.  DHS should be on the block, as well as Energy, Agriculture, Labor, and Veterans Affairs. 

Too many departments, really. Route of all problems!

viper37

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on February 07, 2017, 12:59:56 PM
You don't lose your rights just because you have a business.
so discrimination was always legal?  You can refuse to serve gay or black customers because your religion forbids it?
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: viper37 on February 07, 2017, 02:22:30 PM
so discrimination was always legal?  You can refuse to serve gay or black customers because your religion forbids it?

No, courts have consistently rejected this under various levels of anti-discrimination statutes.  That's why the Religious Freedom Restoration Act is such a hot-button issue- Republicans keep trying to insert law to put "religious freedom" above all other tests of discrimination, and it'd be a rough couple of years before the Supreme Court was able to catch a case that allowed them to tell Congress that the first amendment doesn't work that way.
Experience bij!

sbr

http://www.cnbc.com/2017/02/07/trump-gets-laughs-when-he-offers-to-destroy-a-texas-state-senators-career.html

QuotePresident Donald Trump asked a Texas sheriff Tuesday if he should "destroy" the career of a state senator who introduced legislation the sheriff opposes.

During a White House listening session with law enforcement, Rockwall County Sheriff Harold Eavenson brought up a state senator who introduced a bill requiring that a suspect get convicted before their assets can be seized. Efforts to stop the practice of seizing assets before conviction have received bipartisan support in the state.
Trump responded by asking for the senator's name.

"Who is the state senator? Do you want to give his name? We'll destroy his career," Trump said, prompting laughter among those gathered at the meeting.

Eavenson did not give the lawmaker's name. It was not immediately clear to whom he referred.

Republican Texas Sen. Konni Burton and Democratic Sen. Juan Hinojosa have pushed for the asset forfeiture changes, according to The Dallas Morning News.

Law enforcement officials have largely been supportive of Trump and his pledges to empower police.

The White House declined to comment on this story.

There is video if you follow the link

derspiess

Quote from: grumbler on February 07, 2017, 01:57:41 PM

Okay.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

grumbler

Quote from: sbr on February 07, 2017, 03:19:47 PM
http://www.cnbc.com/2017/02/07/trump-gets-laughs-when-he-offers-to-destroy-a-texas-state-senators-career.html

QuotePresident Donald Trump asked a Texas sheriff Tuesday if he should "destroy" the career of a state senator who introduced legislation the sheriff opposes.

During a White House listening session with law enforcement, Rockwall County Sheriff Harold Eavenson brought up a state senator who introduced a bill requiring that a suspect get convicted before their assets can be seized. Efforts to stop the practice of seizing assets before conviction have received bipartisan support in the state.
Trump responded by asking for the senator's name.

"Who is the state senator? Do you want to give his name? We'll destroy his career," Trump said, prompting laughter among those gathered at the meeting.

Eavenson did not give the lawmaker's name. It was not immediately clear to whom he referred.

Republican Texas Sen. Konni Burton and Democratic Sen. Juan Hinojosa have pushed for the asset forfeiture changes, according to The Dallas Morning News.

Law enforcement officials have largely been supportive of Trump and his pledges to empower police.

The White House declined to comment on this story.

There is video if you follow the link

Obvious joke is obvious.  People cannot cry wolf every time Trump opens his mouth.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: viper37 on February 07, 2017, 12:53:38 PM
Yes but then, are you allowed to invoke your religious feelings to legally discriminate against any particular group you want?

No for the most part antidiscrimination laws apply regardless of entity type.  Very small business can be partially exempt though. 
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson