What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: The Brain on November 26, 2019, 12:08:43 PM
Why do you keep those coins around? We haven't had the value equivalent of a 1 cent coin in decades.

Nobody knows. We waste lots of money minting them. But for some stupid reason the Treasury Department just cannot make that decision. Congress needs to and Congress won't or can't. Why? No idea.

I mean if we are going to continue to have coins the only ones that should be out there are quarters, half dollars, and dollars. Nobody needs or wants those small denomination coins if they still want coins at all. Just my opinion.

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

dps

Quote from: Habbaku on November 26, 2019, 10:15:34 AM
:hmm: Sounds like we need another war.

I have a list of potential adversaries.+

If we want to go by who deserves it most, the list is headed by Iran.

If we want to go by who should give us an easy victory, the list is headed by Belgium.  We'd certainly have the advantage of surprise.

Habbaku

The Saudis deserve it more than Iran, but otherwise I'm with you. Those lousy Belgs will never see it coming.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Razgovory

Quote from: Habbaku on November 26, 2019, 10:15:34 AM
:hmm: Sounds like we need another war.

Or we could just stop worshiping the military.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

viper37

Quote from: dps on November 26, 2019, 02:19:35 PM
If we want to go by who should give us an easy victory, the list is headed by Belgium.  We'd certainly have the advantage of surprise.
With a military base in Germany, you could even re-use some older invasion plans!
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Sheilbh

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 26, 2019, 10:06:12 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 25, 2019, 04:09:56 PM
I can see how in the Trumpiverse backing the badass SEAL who's only crime was a harmless selfie with a dirty Mooslim, over the pencil necked Secretary of the Navy, plays pretty well.

What I'm more surprised by is how his comment that only pussies get PTSD hasn't created the tiniest bit of stir.

The further we get away from the era when ordinary citizens had first hand experience of war, the more distorted the popular views of it are going to become and the more perceptions of the military and the military experience become wrapped up in fantasy. The gun fetishism that seems to have seized the modern Right doesn't help.
Same thing here on the military in general. The remembrance stuff is going crazy.

Former General Sir Mike Jackson has commented that he worries that it could actually be damaging for fulfilling the military's purpose which is to go and put themselves in danger and, probably, kill people.
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 26, 2019, 10:06:12 AM
The further we get away from the era when ordinary citizens had first hand experience of war, the more distorted the popular views of it are going to become and the more perceptions of the military and the military experience become wrapped up in fantasy. The gun fetishism that seems to have seized the modern Right doesn't help.

But the Trump base skews military and military family.

That's why I think Trump shitting on McCain and PTSD cases is causing cognitive dissonance.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 26, 2019, 04:13:59 PM
But the Trump base skews military and military family.

The Trump base is far wider than that.
Also there are many military personnel that have no experience of being in a combat zone.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

grumbler

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 26, 2019, 05:10:42 PM
Also there are many military personnel that have no experience of being in a combat zone.

Including the commander-in-chief, who suffered the misfortune of having bone spurs for only one day in his entire life... but that day being the day of his draft status physical.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Admiral Yi

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 26, 2019, 05:10:42 PM
The Trump base is far wider than that.
Which is why I would expect Trump's comments to impact less than 100% of his base.

QuoteAlso there are many military personnel that have no experience of being in a combat zone.

In my experience those members of the military who have not been deployed still have contacts and affinity with those who have.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Larch

And that tweet is going right into the presidential archives. Future historians will have a blast.  :lol:

The Brain

Quote from: The Larch on November 27, 2019, 12:28:13 PM
And that tweet is going right into the presidential archives. Future historians will have a blast.  :lol:

A cockroach historian? Frankly, I find the idea of a bug that thinks offensive.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

viper37

Quote from: Syt on November 27, 2019, 12:20:36 PM

Pushing back on rumors that he was treated for a cardiac arrest, he explained he hadn't worn a tie for the tests because he knew he'd be asked to remove his shirt.

"Why would I wear a tie?" Trump asked the crowd. "If the first thing they do is say 'Take off your shirt, sir, and show us that gorgeous chest?"

"We've never seen a chest quite like it,"
he added, mimicking a doctor's voice, to his audience's rapturous delight.

I think I have... so many years ago... :P
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Hamilcar

Quote from: The Brain on November 27, 2019, 12:53:29 PM
Quote from: The Larch on November 27, 2019, 12:28:13 PM

A cockroach historian? Frankly, I find the idea of a bug that thinks offensive.

Good reference