News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: Razgovory on December 13, 2018, 02:39:33 PM
The reason that Pelosi was and will again be Speaker, is because she is adapt at keeping her Caucus in line.  This was something that Boehner and Ryan could not do.  Pelosi was able to use her majority to get Obama care passed.  This is in stark contrast to Ryan who couldn't use his majority rescinded.

Odd, I see the Pelosi-Reid connection days as a time when the Dems could have had it all (as they had all the power) but squander it with petty in-fighting.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

grumbler

Quote from: chipwich on December 13, 2018, 02:32:51 PM
What actual backstabbings are you referring to?

Things like telling Goldman Sachs not to worry about Elizabeth Warren's criticisms of Wall Street because Warren didn't speak for Democrats, Pelosi did.  Rising Pelosi critics like Clyburn and Schuler got shunted into meaningless jobs.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: garbon on December 13, 2018, 02:45:39 PM
Odd, I see the Pelosi-Reid connection days as a time when the Dems could have had it all (as they had all the power) but squander it with petty in-fighting.

Yep.  Pelosi was dreadful at getting legislation passed, even with a huge majority in both chambers.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

Quote from: garbon on December 13, 2018, 02:45:39 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on December 13, 2018, 02:39:33 PM
The reason that Pelosi was and will again be Speaker, is because she is adapt at keeping her Caucus in line.  This was something that Boehner and Ryan could not do.  Pelosi was able to use her majority to get Obama care passed.  This is in stark contrast to Ryan who couldn't use his majority rescinded.

I seem to recall Obamacare getting passed.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Sophie Scholl

Pelosi as Speaker is a boon to Republicans on multiple levels.  Incompetence, Democratic infighting, stoking the Republican base's hatred of her, further alienating young Democratic voters, and more. <_<
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

mongers

Quote from: Benedict Arnold on December 13, 2018, 05:40:06 PM
Pelosi as Speaker is a boon to Republicans on multiple levels.  Incompetence, Democratic infighting, stoking the Republican base's hatred of her, further alienating young older Democratic voters, and more. <_<

America's Jeremy Corbyn?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Admiral Yi

The Republican base hates anyone and everything that is not them, so that's not really a factor.  You could elect Santa Claus House Speaker and Fox would run a hatchet story on him.

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 13, 2018, 06:04:09 PM
The Republican base hates anyone and everything that is not them, so that's not really a factor.  You could elect Santa Claus House Speaker and Fox would run a hatchet story on him.
While true, the Right has been particularly frothy over Hillary, Pelosi, Obama, and Maxine Waters over the past several years to decade plus.  I don't think anyone else can come close to reaching the level of instant base rallying that invoking any of those four can.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

FunkMonk

New question:

Why is our President a moron?
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

chipwich

Quote from: grumbler on December 13, 2018, 02:53:52 PM
Quote from: chipwich on December 13, 2018, 02:32:51 PM
What actual backstabbings are you referring to?

Things like telling Goldman Sachs not to worry about Elizabeth Warren's criticisms of Wall Street because Warren didn't speak for Democrats, Pelosi did.  Rising Pelosi critics like Clyburn and Schuler got shunted into meaningless jobs.

How exactly are either of those backstabs? Why should I be offended by someone backstabbing Goldman Sachs?

Monoriu

Quote from: FunkMonk on December 13, 2018, 10:40:15 PM
New question:

Why is our President a moron?

Alternative question: why did tens of millions vote for this guy?

Habbaku

Because tens of millions of Americans are morons.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Eddie Teach

Alternative question: why does Mono drop the apolitical facade when discussing western leaders?   :hmm:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Oexmelin

Que le grand cric me croque !

Razgovory

Quote from: Benedict Arnold on December 13, 2018, 06:14:18 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 13, 2018, 06:04:09 PM
While true, the Right has been particularly frothy over Hillary, Pelosi, Obama, and Maxine Waters over the past several years to decade plus.  I don't think anyone else can come close to reaching the level of instant base rallying that invoking any of those four can.

I'm not sure we should sideline blacks and women just because they illicit more Republican hate.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017