News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Monoriu

Quote from: Tonitrus on December 07, 2018, 03:45:41 PM
More fun is the new UN rep...who once cited D-Day as evidence of strong US-German relations.  :P

I looked this up.  It is true :bleeding:

Valmy

Well they haven't gotten worse since that day at least.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Valmy on December 07, 2018, 08:28:15 PM
Well they haven't gotten worse since that day at least.

I think they got worse when we saw the camps.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: Tonitrus on December 07, 2018, 03:45:41 PM
More fun is the new UN rep...who once cited D-Day as evidence of strong US-German relations.  :P

Well, we did have very strong feelings towards the other...
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Solmyr

Hopefully, Trump will decide that the way to improve relations with Europe is a new Marshal Plan and not a new D-Day. :ph34r:

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

mongers

Quote from: Solmyr on December 08, 2018, 03:36:05 AM
Hopefully, Trump will decide that the way to improve relations with Europe is a new Marshal Plan and not a new D-Day. :ph34r:

Do you think he'd give up on an operation specifically made after himself?  ;)
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

mongers

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Syt

Not only Trump, but GOP in general:
https://www.propublica.org/article/how-the-irs-was-gutted?utm_content=bufferda01e&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=buffer

QuoteAn eight-year campaign to slash the agency's budget has left it understaffed, hamstrung and operating with archaic equipment. The result: billions less to fund the government. That's good news for corporations and the wealthy.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Valmy

See that is the thing. I support the idea of a smaller and leaner government that operates at the level closest to the people as possible. What I do not particularly like, and this has been going on since the Dubya days, is intentionally just running everything in the ground and letting corruption flourish through mismanagement and neglect. The idea is to be more efficient and effective, not less.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Tamas

Quote from: Valmy on December 11, 2018, 09:14:48 AM
See that is the thing. I support the idea of a smaller and leaner government that operates at the level closest to the people as possible. What I do not particularly like, and this has been going on since the Dubya days, is intentionally just running everything in the ground and letting corruption flourish through mismanagement and neglect. The idea is to be more efficient and effective, not less.

Letting it run into the ground and stealing what you can in the meantime is drastically less effort, though.

Tonitrus

I dunno I buy this idea that "if the IRS were only better funded, they'd squeeze more dough out of those evil fat cats!!!11".  That is similar to saying that better funding police agencies more will mean they'll more likely bring down the top echelons of drug cartels and organized crime. 

No...they'll more likely still be lazy and go after the easy targets and low-hanging fruit of mostly ignorant, regular taxpayers, who don't know accounting tricks nor will hire experts/lawyers (or the crime equivalent of drug users/street pushers/prostitutes).

Syt

Quote from: Tonitrus on December 11, 2018, 02:51:51 PM
I dunno I buy this idea that "if the IRS were only better funded, they'd squeeze more dough out of those evil fat cats!!!11".  That is similar to saying that better funding police agencies more will mean they'll more likely bring down the top echelons of drug cartels and organized crime. 

No...they'll more likely still be lazy and go after the easy targets and low-hanging fruit of mostly ignorant, regular taxpayers, who don't know accounting tricks nor will hire experts/lawyers (or the crime equivalent of drug users/street pushers/prostitutes).

The article has a graph that shows that the top 1% (drop from 8 to 2.5%), and 200k-500k incomes (drop from 2.7 to 0.7%) get audited significantly less 2017 vs 2011, compared to bottom 36% (drop from 1.2 to 0.7%).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Valmy

Maybe. But the agency should still managed as well as possible under the circumstances, especially with our giant deficit and national debt.

Berkut

Uhhh, I think it goes without saying that better funded police departments are more likely, all other things being equal, to take down higher level criminals.

I mean, I guess if you just believe that they are all equally incompetent and hopeless no matter what...well, then, I guess you are one of those people who think that we might as well not fund agencies, since they are not capable of acting in anything other than the worst possible manner anyway.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned