And we're back!

Main Menu

What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: jimmy olsen on December 07, 2018, 01:36:03 AM
Not going to happen anytime soon. :(

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2018/12/john-dingell-how-restore-faith-government/577222/

Thank Hod!  John Dingell is the epitome of the machine politician (succeeded his father in office, was succeeded by his own wife) and a wholly-owned subsidiary of the US auto industry.  That's the last guy to listen to in terms of fixing the problems with the US congress.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: grumbler on December 07, 2018, 06:18:27 AM
John Dingell is the epitome of the machine politician (succeeded his father in office, was succeeded by his own wife) and a wholly-owned subsidiary of the US auto industry. 

Not so, he's a 50-50 Joint venture between the industry and the UAW.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

PJL

I think the main problem here are the lame duck sessions. Basically the new lawmakers-elect should be formed ASAP after the old election, and there should be no possibility of the old lawmakers even being able to convene after the election. This would never happen in the UK.

Liep

Quote from: PJL on December 07, 2018, 01:55:53 PM
I think the main problem here are the lame duck sessions. Basically the new lawmakers-elect should be formed ASAP after the old election, and there should be no possibility of the old lawmakers even being able to convene after the election. This would never happen in the UK.

What are the reasons this even exists? Here the newly elected takes over immediately.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

grumbler

Quote from: Liep on December 07, 2018, 02:00:44 PM
What are the reasons this even exists? Here the newly elected takes over immediately.

The rules were made in an era when it took weeks to get to Washington after learning one had been elected.  There is no modern reason to keep them.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Barrister

Quote from: grumbler on December 07, 2018, 02:05:53 PM
Quote from: Liep on December 07, 2018, 02:00:44 PM

The rules were made in an era when it took weeks to get to Washington after learning one had been elected.  There is no modern reason to keep them.

Well there is some reason to the lame duck sessions.  In the past they seem to have been used in order to pass unpopular but necessary bills.  For example look how the new Mexican President allowed the outgoing administration to sign the new NAFTA treaty.  But yeah - up here we usually have a new government sworn in within a week or two.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Barrister

So William Ball for AG.  Held the same position under George Bush 41.  Unusual choice for Trump, but I imagine he shouldn't have any issue getting confirmed.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Tonitrus

More fun is the new UN rep...who once cited D-Day as evidence of strong US-German relations.  :P

Habbaku

Tex Drillerson comes out with some comments from an interview saying Trump tried to order illegal acts and hates to read.

Trump responds by Tweeting that Tex is dumb. I love that that's his go-to response. His inferiority complex is immense.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Syt

Quote from: Tonitrus on December 07, 2018, 03:45:41 PM
More fun is the new UN rep...who once cited D-Day as evidence of strong US-German relations.  :P

Wait, what? :D
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

11B4V

Watching Rick Santorum on Tapper's show..... :huh:
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Tonitrus