News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Tonitrus on December 11, 2018, 02:51:51 PM
I dunno I buy this idea that "if the IRS were only better funded, they'd squeeze more dough out of those evil fat cats!!!11".  That is similar to saying that better funding police agencies more will mean they'll more likely bring down the top echelons of drug cartels and organized crime. 

No...they'll more likely still be lazy and go after the easy targets and low-hanging fruit of mostly ignorant, regular taxpayers, who don't know accounting tricks nor will hire experts/lawyers (or the crime equivalent of drug users/street pushers/prostitutes).

I don't think that accurately describes the functioning of the agency, historically or now.
It's true that the tax *code* is written such a way that it favors the well-advised, and the 2017 law probably made that problem materially worse.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Syt

There's always a tweet ...

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/156829591267328000?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E156829591267328000&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.vox.com%2F2018%2F12%2F8%2F18132087%2Ftrump-tweet-john-kelly-resign-fire-replace

QuoteDonald J. Trump
@realDonaldTrump

3 Chief of Staffs in less than 3 years of being President: Part of the reason why @BarackObama can't manage to pass his agenda.

12:07 PM - 10 Jan 2012
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Syt

Watched the cringeworthy video from Donny meeting Chuck and Nancy.

The great tough dealmaker at work:

"Yes, if we don't get what we want...I will shut down the government. ... I will take the mantle. I will be the one to shut it down. I'm not going to blame you for it."
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

The Minsky Moment

Pelosi sealed her speakership right there
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Razgovory

Quote from: Syt on December 12, 2018, 10:39:32 AM
Watched the cringeworthy video from Donny meeting Chuck and Nancy.

The great tough dealmaker at work:

"Yes, if we don't get what we want...I will shut down the government. ... I will take the mantle. I will be the one to shut it down. I'm not going to blame you for it."

It's funny seeing Chuck trying to keep from laughing at the President.  You'd think that after almost two years of this Trump might have learned something about politics.

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Syt

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on December 12, 2018, 11:15:14 AM
Pelosi sealed her speakership right there

She seemed pleased:

She explained that she didn't want to negotiate publicly with Don because she didn't want to embarrass him in front of the press.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

Also, was Pence asleep during the meeting? :D
—Stephen Jay Gould

Razgovory

Quote from: Syt on December 12, 2018, 01:39:57 PM

What do you do when your boss is making an ass of himself.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

FunkMonk

Haven't always been a fan of ol' Nancy but she's tough as nails and knows how to play politics. Wouldn't mind her as Speaker through the rest of the Trump era.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

grumbler

Quote from: FunkMonk on December 12, 2018, 10:20:11 PM
Haven't always been a fan of ol' Nancy but she's tough as nails and knows how to play politics. Wouldn't mind her as Speaker through the rest of the Trump era.

Pelosi is ruthless but incompetent.  The only leadership style she knows is that of Genghis Khan, and her only saving grace is that she is unhesitating when it comes time to backstab to cover her fuckups (that's how she stayed in power after presiding over the worst defeat in modern American politics).  As Trump is to populism she is to machine politics.  If she dropped dead tomorrow I would shed no tears.  She won't be the speaker through the next Congress because she will fuck up enough to lose the House again.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

crazy canuck

Quote from: Syt on December 12, 2018, 01:39:57 PM

He felt very uncomfortable that he was in a room with a women without his wife being present.

Razgovory

Quote from: grumbler on December 12, 2018, 10:32:23 PM

Pelosi is ruthless but incompetent.  The only leadership style she knows is that of Genghis Khan, and her only saving grace is that she is unhesitating when it comes time to backstab to cover her fuckups (that's how she stayed in power after presiding over the worst defeat in modern American politics).  As Trump is to populism she is to machine politics.  If she dropped dead tomorrow I would shed no tears.  She won't be the speaker through the next Congress because she will fuck up enough to lose the House again.

:rolleyes:

chipwich

Quote from: grumbler on December 12, 2018, 10:32:23 PM

What actual backstabbings are you referring to?

Razgovory

The reason that Pelosi was and will again be Speaker, is because she is adapt at keeping her Caucus in line.  This was something that Boehner and Ryan could not do.  Pelosi was able to use her majority to get Obama care passed.  This is in stark contrast to Ryan who couldn't use his majority rescinded.