News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oexmelin

Quote from: Barrister on December 14, 2018, 10:48:19 AM
I don't get it - why is some first term member of congress suddenly such a big deal?  I know winning the nomination over an established member was news at the time, but why has that continued?

I wonder what it could be? Surely, the fact that she is a latina woman must have nothing to do with it?

Que le grand cric me croque !

Oexmelin

Quote from: derspiess on December 14, 2018, 12:20:48 PM
Yeah.  Unfortunately Compassionate Conservatism and then Populism happened :mellow:

It's okay, you'll still have the reassuringly familiar sociopathy.
Que le grand cric me croque !

FunkMonk

Quote from: Savonarola on December 14, 2018, 11:17:36 AM
Quote from: Oexmelin on December 14, 2018, 02:15:08 AM
Coming right up: Alexandra Ocasio-Cortez.

I don't get it - why is some first term member of congress suddenly such a big deal?  I know winning the nomination over an established member was news at the time, but why has that continued?

She's young, she's pretty, she connects well with the common person and her views are unapologetically leftist.  Naturally the far left is going to adore someone like that (Vox just ran an article saying that the age requirement to run for president should be eliminated so that she can run in 2020.)  More right-ish news sources are going to harp on her obvious poor grasp of policy implying that she stands for all Democrats.

It's hard to say in the age of Twitter but I think we're nearing the end of her celebrity.  Once she has to shoulder the actual burdens of government she'll either have to make compromises, or she'll be an ineffective congresswoman.  The latter might be great in the eyes of Vox; but probably not so much in the eyes of her constituents.

A lot of progressive women really identify with her so I expect her to remain a prominent figure amongst the Democratic base.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

garbon

Quote from: Oexmelin on December 14, 2018, 05:23:02 PM

I wonder what it could be? Surely, the fact that she is a latina woman must have nothing to do with it?

I don't take issue with that.

I do find her annoying though.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Valmy on December 14, 2018, 12:36:40 PM
Austerity now!

Yes it is really frustrating.
Austerity is only going to result in ever greater backlash from the far right and far left.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

FunkMonk

Quote from: garbon on December 14, 2018, 06:57:15 PM

Just curious: What is it about her that you find annoying?
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Valmy

Quote from: jimmy olsen on December 14, 2018, 07:51:17 PM
Quote from: Valmy on December 14, 2018, 12:36:40 PM
Austerity now!

Yes it is really frustrating.
Austerity is only going to result in ever greater backlash from the far right and far left.

It is the best policy for the country though. It is necessary to secure our future. So of course anarchists who just want everything to burn down are going to dislike it.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/15/us/ryan-zinke-interior-secretary.html?action=click&module=Top%20Stories&pgtype=Homepage

QuoteRyan Zinke, Face of Trump Environmental Rollbacks, Is Leaving Interior Department

Mr. Zinke had been the subject of at least a half-dozen federal investigations, one of which was recently referred to the Justice Department.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Razgovory

Quote from: Syt on December 15, 2018, 12:06:41 PM
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/15/us/ryan-zinke-interior-secretary.html?action=click&module=Top%20Stories&pgtype=Homepage

QuoteRyan Zinke, Face of Trump Environmental Rollbacks, Is Leaving Interior Department

Mr. Zinke had been the subject of at least a half-dozen federal investigations, one of which was recently referred to the Justice Department.

This is the last time I can post this.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1iCZpFMYd0
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

dps

Quote from: The Brain on December 15, 2018, 05:54:30 PM
Interior Department? Sounds gay af.

No, that would be the Posterior Department.

garbon

Quote from: FunkMonk on December 14, 2018, 08:01:02 PM
Quote from: garbon on December 14, 2018, 06:57:15 PM

Just curious: What is it about her that you find annoying?

Not even in her brand new role and constantly spouting off about all the things she's going to change, having her own candidates that she was championing. Get in the job, learn some of the system then try to enact change. You ain't going to do it blowing all that hot air.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

crazy canuck

Not so long ago American Languishites were complaining the Dems were not talking enough about what they wanted to do.  Is it perhaps more that you dislike what she is proposing?

garbon

Quote from: crazy canuck on December 17, 2018, 06:58:12 AM
Not so long ago American Languishites were complaining the Dems were not talking enough about what they wanted to do.  Is it perhaps more that you dislike what she is proposing?

Sorry but all of what you've just written is a mess. I supported Hillary who couldn't stop talking about what she wanted to do; policy wonk to a fault. Of course, she's also someone who had worked in politics before.

Ocasio-Cortez was a...community organizer?

I think I've also been clear that I don't like candidates (or newly elected not yet office holders) who promise the moon and the stars. Lies when you can't deliver.