News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

BTW I accidently clicked on the first page of this thread, from 2016. You guys are proving correct.

Also BTW: can you imagine just a few years ago, what, 2014, we lived n a world where half the news weren't either Trump or Brexit? Surreal.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Tamas on October 29, 2018, 09:19:47 AM
BTW I accidently clicked on the first page of this thread, from 2016. You guys are proving correct.

Also BTW: can you imagine just a few years ago, what, 2014, we lived n a world where half the news weren't either Trump or Brexit? Surreal.

It is frightening to think of how quickly it has happened.

Quote from: DGuller on October 29, 2018, 08:01:01 AM
Quote from: Barrister on October 29, 2018, 12:41:40 AM
But my sister-in-law insisted on going out to vote at the Brazilian colsulate for Bolsonaro, even though it was Thanksgiving weekend in Canada.  When asked about it had nothing to do with "fascism" - but rather a lingering disgust with the prior 15 years of leftist rule, which of course included a number of corruption prosecutions.
That's how democracy dies.  People don't bother to think through the danger of voting for fascists just to express disgust with the current politicians.  We're in for a dark period.

:yes:  and this is why it has happened so quickly - how can voting for a fascist have nothing to do with voting for a fascist?

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Tamas on October 29, 2018, 06:33:36 AM
Also, allegedly, a recent poll showed that if the previous Prez wasn't in jail due to corruption, he would have won this election.

If that's true, portraying this guy as winning on genuine anti-corruption feelings is misleading.

Clearly, he has won for the same reason his ilk have been winning: a lot of people are mean bastards, and it has become socially okay to be like that and to cast your votes along those lines.

It's true - Lula remains popular, and there is no way to read the election returns without concluding that there exists a significant voting bloc that would have voted Lula but voted Bolsanaro instead. 

No doubt there are some that would vote for anyone or anything that would put down the "leftists" but at a high level what is going on here is competing personality cults.  Haddad didn't lose because he is associated with a corrupt party, he lost because he isn't a raging egomaniac with a mass cult following.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Tamas

Quoteraging egomaniac with a mass cult following.

That does seem like a global pattern nowadays indeed.

derspiess

Quote from: Tamas on October 29, 2018, 11:08:52 AM
Quoteraging egomaniac with a mass cult following.

That does seem like a global pattern nowadays indeed.

Yep.  Thanks Obama :ph34r: :P
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

I knew you were going to say that  :lol:

We just need more centrist cult leaders. 'I represent the church of economic orthodoxy!'
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on October 29, 2018, 12:55:23 PM

We just need more centrist cult leaders. 'I represent the church of economic orthodoxy!'

I would worship at the church of Milton Friedman...
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on October 29, 2018, 12:57:01 PM

I said CENTRIST damnit! :P
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on October 29, 2018, 12:57:32 PM
Quote from: Barrister on October 29, 2018, 12:57:01 PM

I said CENTRIST damnit! :P

:(

I thought his central findings were by now fairly generally accepted.  It's like I said the church of Friedrich Hayek or anything.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

The Brain

In all fairness torture became official US policy like 15 years ago. Sorry, I mean Enhanced Torture Techniques.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Syt

QuoteDonald J. Trump
Verified account
@realDonaldTrump
9 hours ago

There is great anger in our Country caused in part by inaccurate, and even fraudulent, reporting of the news. The Fake News Media, the true Enemy of the People, must stop the open & obvious hostility & report the news accurately & fairly. That will do much to put out the flame of Anger and Outrage and we will then be able to bring all sides together in Peace and Harmony. Fake News Must End!

Didn't expect him to come out so strongly against Fox News.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

mongers

@realDonaldTrump    10h
Many Gang Members and some very bad people are mixed into the Caravan heading to our Southern Border. Please go back, you will not be admitted into the United States unless you go through the legal process. This is an invasion of our Country and our Military is waiting for you!

:rolleyes:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

11B4V

Quote from: mongers on October 29, 2018, 07:30:47 PM
@realDonaldTrump    10h
Many Gang Members and some very bad people are mixed into the Caravan heading to our Southern Border. Please go back, you will not be admitted into the United States unless you go through the legal process. This is an invasion of our Country and our Military is waiting for you!

Not enough people rolled their eyes at this grifter in 2016.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Liep

Quote from: mongers on October 29, 2018, 07:30:47 PM
@realDonaldTrump    10h

It's like Europe 2015 if you change gang member to terrorist.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk