And we're back!

Main Menu

What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HVC

Quote from: Razgovory on October 26, 2018, 10:06:55 AM
Arrest made in mad bomber situation.

And I think he's Hispanic? Trump must be so conflicted.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Razgovory

Quote from: HVC on October 26, 2018, 02:52:00 PM

Some sort of native American.  Looks like he posts the same kind stuff that Syt's family does.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Barrister

Quote from: Razgovory on October 26, 2018, 03:16:07 PM
Quote from: HVC on October 26, 2018, 02:52:00 PM

Some sort of native American.  Looks like he posts the same kind stuff that Syt's family does.

From the LinkedIn bit that Derspeiss posted I was thinking he must be part-Filipino.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

FunkMonk

After this bomb plot and the asshole who shot up a congressional baseball game this makes two attempted mass murders of political figures in two years.

:hmm:

Edit: Actually it was a Republican practice for the congressional baseball game. So that makes two attempted mass murders targeting political opponents in two years.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Razgovory

Quote from: Valmy on October 26, 2018, 11:48:40 AM
Quote from: derspiess on October 26, 2018, 11:45:20 AM
Suspect had a Trumpmobile van.  Name is Cesar Sayoc.

From his LinkedIn profile:

Quote"Promoter, booking agent Live entertainment, owner, choreographer." He wrote that he was a veterinary medicine graduate, saying, "Career decision of becoming a Horse Doctor was always a love for animals, which were here first and never do anything to anyone. And respect all living things. My family very sound Sayoc name in Medical field Grandfather Col. Baltazar Zook Sayoc that perfect the conversion oriental eye to Americanize. The first plastic surgeon to be observed by 8 million people in NY city Hospital. He over through Communist Philippines liberated island. He built all hospitals in Philippines islands and sets standards highest level. Most surgeon use his instruments which are patented. And a lot surgeon use today. Also Sayoc intl. schools marshals arts Kali that used to over throw communist party . Also one 5 Hero's disciplinary my mother Madeline Sayoc Giardiello First president Pharmacy Cosmetic Association, Who Who Business Women of Year, Soul buyer consultant for Home Shopping Network, head number 1 marketing consul in World Aventura Marketing consul, up for city counsel women Aventura."

https://heavy.com/news/2018/10/cesar-sayoc-politics-republican-trump-magabomber/

Damn. Hardly sounds like a hardened criminal or a political extremist.

What it sounds like is he's barely literate.  I suspect he is not a veterinary graduate.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Maximus

Quote from: Razgovory on October 26, 2018, 03:57:22 PM

What it sounds like is he's barely literate.  I suspect he is not a veterinary graduate.
Maybe veterinary chiropractic.

garbon

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/oct/26/trump-supporters-sceptical-about-pipe-bomb-arrest

Quote'I bet $500 they are lying': Trump fans sceptical about pipe bomb arrest

As Donald Trump's fans gathered in Charlotte, North Carolina, for his latest midterm campaign rally, many dismissed as a hoax the arrest in Florida of an apparent supporter of the president as the suspect behind mail bombs sent to 13 prominent liberal figures.

As Trump supporters streamed into Bojangles' Coliseum on Friday afternoon, many soaking wet from hours in relentless rain, the prevailing response to the arrest and charging of Cesar Sayoc, 56, was profound skepticism. At best, the connection between the Florida resident and the president was tenuous. At worst it was an outright lie.

Terry Pennington, 52 and from the outskirts of Charlotte, had waited in the rain since 9pm on Thursday, some 22 hours before Trump was scheduled to speak. He was wearing a camouflage jacket he had customized to read "Constitution Enforcement – protected by the 2nd Amendment". He had no doubt about what lay behind the arrest.

"I bet $500 they are lying," he said. "I bet it was a liberal who did it. Have you stopped to think why those bombs were only sent to high-level Democrats? They are trying to make it look like Donald Trump is encouraging terrorism."

He added: "The truth is, the liberals are the terrorists."

His wife agreed.

"It seems like a lot's been planted to make it look like a Trump supporter did it," said Carrie Pennington, 48.

In her view, the arrest of a suspect with clear ideological ties to Trump was an elaborate distraction from an impending rout by Republicans in the midterm elections.

"They're just trying to deflect us from voting and focusing on the red tsunami that's about to hit," she said.

References to a Republican or "red" electoral "tsunami" were among memes reportedly posted to social media by Sayoc.

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Camerus

I guess you can find ignorant, retarded plebs anywhere and stick a microphone in front of them for a disturbing soundbite.

Still, I can't help but think Putin owes Russian trolls serious props for their role in slowly helping turn American political culture into one just as shitty and conspiracy obsessed as Russia's own.

Habbaku

Quote from: garbon on October 26, 2018, 05:37:04 PM
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/oct/26/trump-supporters-sceptical-about-pipe-bomb-arrest

"They're just trying to deflect us from voting and focusing on the red tsunami that's about to hit," she said.

References to a Republican or "red" electoral "tsunami" were among memes reportedly posted to social media by Sayoc.

I'm trying to imagine what happens if that "red tsunami" doesn't hit like these people seem to think.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

crazy canuck

from the same article

QuoteTrump's devoted followers in the sports arena were also scathing about that. Kathy Chenette, 62, a realtor from Mooresville, North Carolina, said she had read on Twitter that the same configuration of stickers on the back of the van had been photographed on the side of the van.

"This was obviously Photoshopped," she said. "I think it's a distraction against the invasion of illegal immigrants at the border. It's all set up by Soros."

Quote from: Habbaku on October 26, 2018, 05:51:07 PM
I'm trying to imagine what happens if that "red tsunami" doesn't hit like these people seem to think.

And worse, what happens if it does.

11B4V

Quote from: garbon on October 26, 2018, 05:37:04 PM

Quote'I bet $500 they are lying': Trump fans sceptical about pipe bomb arrest

As Trump's fans gathered in Charlotte, North Carolina, for his latest midterm campaign rally, many dismissed as a hoax the arrest in Florida of an apparent supporter of the president as the suspect behind mail bombs sent to 13 prominent liberal figures.

As Trump supporters streamed into Bojangles' Coliseum on Friday afternoon, many soaking wet from hours in relentless rain, the prevailing response to the arrest and charging of Cesar Sayoc, 56, was profound skepticism. At best, the connection between the Florida resident and the president was tenuous. At worst it was an outright lie.

Terry Pennington, 52 and from the outskirts of Charlotte, had waited in the rain since 9pm on Thursday, some 22 hours before Trump was scheduled to speak. He was wearing a camouflage jacket he had customized to read "Constitution Enforcement – protected by the 2nd Amendment". He had no doubt about what lay behind the arrest.

"I bet $500 they are lying," he said. "I bet it was a liberal who did it. Have you stopped to think why those bombs were only sent to high-level Democrats? They are trying to make it look like Donald Trump is encouraging terrorism."

He added: "The truth is, the liberals are the terrorists."

His wife agreed.

"It seems like a lot's been planted to make it look like a Trump supporter did it," said Carrie Pennington, 48.

In her view, the arrest of a suspect with clear ideological ties to Trump was an elaborate distraction from an impending rout by Republicans in the midterm elections.

You can't help those people. They're gone and there is no rescuing them. You're kidding yourself if you think you can. They would shoot every person in the "Caravan" who tried to cross the boarder if they could. Or beat you to death with a bat, because your gay, if they could get away with it. You kidding yourself if you think they can be brought around to common sense and decency with anything other than force. They were the closet bigots, racist, homophobes, white supremacists etc. They have a voice and he occupies the highest office in the land.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Syt

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/26/us/politics/trump-bomb-media.html?action=click&module=Top%20Stories&pgtype=Homepage

QuoteTrump's Complaint: Bomb Plot Coverage Overtakes His Campaign Rhetoric

WASHINGTON — When President Trump took the podium in the East Room on Friday, he opened with a solemn expression of gratitude to the F.B.I. and other law enforcement agencies for arresting a suspect in a bomb plot against prominent Democrats and other critics of him.

Moments later, Mr. Trump veered to more familiar terrain, railing against Democrats, globalists and the news media. He grinned in delight as his audience of young black conservatives chanted, "Lock 'em up," "George Soros" and "CNN sucks."

Mr. Trump's quick-change act — half dignified presidential statement, half raucous "Make America Great Again" rally — captured the political challenge he faces after a fervent Trump supporter was charged on Friday with mailing pipe bombs to former President Barack Obama, Hillary Clinton, George Soros and other favorite targets of the president's.

An energized Mr. Trump had planned to spend the final 10 days before the midterm elections whipping up Republican fears about a caravan of violent criminals allegedly heading toward the southern border and warning about the mob rule that will erupt if the Democrats capture the House of Representatives.

But now, as it became clear that the bombing suspect, Cesar Sayoc Jr., 56, was a die-hard backer of the president, whose white van was a mobile shrine to him — plastered with stickers celebrating Mr. Trump and vilifying his foes — the president's appeals to nativism and partisan furies threatened to boomerang on him.

For once, Mr. Trump conceded, he was not the master of the news cycle. The migrant caravan has been relegated to the background. New statistics showing a growing economy went largely unremarked upon. Mr. Trump seemed to take particular umbrage that his ambitious proposal to cut prescription drug prices got lost amid the breaking news about explosive devices turning up in post offices in Florida and New York City.

"They were also competing with this story," he said with palpable frustration. "Now our law enforcement's done such a good job," he added, "maybe that can start to disappear rapidly because we don't like those stories."

But on Friday, as Mr. Trump flew to Charlotte, N.C., for yet another rally, the bomb plot still dominated the airwaves. Photographs circulated of Mr. Sayoc holding a placard at a Trump rally and wearing a red "Make America Great Again" baseball cap at his inauguration. Among the stickers on his van was one with Mrs. Clinton's face in a simulated gun-sight.

"I heard he was a person that preferred me over others," Mr. Trump told reporters. But he denied any link between his inflammatory language and such acts of violence. "There's no blame," he said. "There's no anything."

I think I've been toned down," the president said, adding, "I could really tone it up."

Mr. Trump continued to scapegoat the news media in Charlotte, saying that the focus on Mr. Sayoc's political leanings was a product of their trying to start a political attack.

"We have seen an effort by the media in recent hours to use the sinister actions of one individual to score political points against me and the Republican Party," Mr. Trump said at the rally. "The media has tried to attack the incredible Americans who support our movement to give power back to the people."

For a few minutes in the morning, Mr. Trump did manage to project a grave tone. "These terrorizing acts are despicable and have no place in our country," he said, speaking from prepared remarks.

"We will prosecute them, him, her — whoever it may be — to the fullest extent of the law," Mr. Trump said. "We must never allow political violence to take root in America. We cannot let it happen."

Mr. Trump's ambiguous language left open the possibility there could be more than one suspect in the case — a prospect that neither the F.B.I. director, Christopher A. Wray, nor other law enforcement officials suggested in a later briefing.

Earlier in the day, before he had been briefed about the case by Attorney General Jeff Sessions, Mr. Trump's frustration boiled over. He characterized the bomb scares as an obstacle to Republican voters before the midterms.

He even suggested that the threat was not real or was exaggerated by putting the word "bomb" in quotes — language that edged close to that of conspiracy theorists on the alt-right, who claimed without evidence that it was a false flag operation by Democrats to mobilize their voters.

"Republicans are doing so well in early voting, and at the polls, and now this 'Bomb' stuff happens and the momentum greatly slows - news not talking politics," the president said in a tweet. "Very unfortunate, what is going on. Republicans, go out and vote!"

It was not clear how much he knew about the case before he posted this tweet, but he had received briefings throughout the week.

Mr. Trump has never troubled himself with keeping a presidential mien during times of national crisis, whether it was wildfires in California, shootings in Chicago or the racial clashes in Charlottesville, Va. But even by his standards, his remarks in the White House before a crowd of a few hundred mostly African-American activists were discordant.

In the same week that bombs were mailed to a former Democratic president, a vice president, a first lady, a senator and a congresswoman, Mr. Trump ridiculed the Democratic Party, saying its policies had led to unsafe communities, failing schools and overcrowded prisons. He even claimed erroneously that the party's name was "Democrat," adding, "I hate it. I hate just saying it."

"Lock 'em up," several people chanted.

In the same week that a bomb was mailed to the suburban New York home of Mr. Soros, the philanthropist and Democratic donor — also the same week that Hungary's increasingly authoritarian government expelled a university founded by Mr. Soros — Mr. Trump inveighed against "globalists," whom he accused of cheating American workers.

"George Soros!" someone in the crowd shouted.

"Thank you for being a nationalist," cried another.

And in the same week that two explosives were mailed to CNN's New York offices — one addressed to John O. Brennan, the former C.I.A. director; the other to James R. Clapper, the former director of national intelligence — Mr. Trump said the news media attacked him relentlessly and never covered his successes.

"Fake news!" said a person.

Gesturing and chuckling appreciatively, Mr. Trump repeated, "Fake news."

Asked whether he planned to call Mr. Obama or any of the other Democrats who were targeted by the bombs, the president said, "If they wanted me to, but I think we'll probably pass."

Critics denounced Mr. Trump's unrepentant partisanship on a day when explosive devices were still being uncovered. But close observers of his presidency were less surprised. The president was relying on a familiar instinct so close to the midterms, said Jon McHenry, a Republican pollster for North Star Opinion Research.

"There's an argument to be made that midterms are base elections," Mr. McHenry said. "To the extent that this is true, the president has a consistent and proven method of speaking to his base and making sure they hear him above whatever other noise there is."

Indeed, Mr. Trump has planned at least 10 rallies in eight states through Election Day, according to a senior White House official.

Mr. Trump's willingness to reach out to his supporters in ways that offend others, Mr. McHenry said, has proved stronger than any recommendations that he tone down partisan attacks and refrain from lashing out at the news media.

The political risk some pollsters see is the possibility of Mr. Trump alienating more moderate or independent voters who were leaning his way, with just days to go until the midterms.

But Mr. McHenry said, "Whether you agree with him or not, he gets to point up at the scoreboard and say he won."

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

grumbler

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

jimmy olsen

In the last week two African-Americans were killed in a Kentucky supermarket by a white supremacist.  We had a mass mail bombing campaign and then this massacre. Trump's rhetoric is coming home to roost. :(
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point