News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

In his own words, and there's plenty more where that comes from

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/28/world/americas/brazil-president-jair-bolsonaro-quotes.html
QuoteIn 2014, he told a fellow lawmaker:

"I would not rape you because you are not worthy of it."

Quote"I am in favor of torture — you know that. And the people are in favor of it, too.

QuoteIn April 2016, when President Dilma Rousseff's impeachment was put to a vote in Congress, Mr. Bolsonaro dedicated his vote to a colonel who ran a torture center during the country's military dictatorship in which Ms. Rousseff was tortured in her youth:

"In memory of Col. Carlos Alberto Brilhante Ustra, the terror of Dilma Rousseff ... I vote YES."

QuoteAfter criticizing Brazil's government during a 1999 interview, Mr. Bolsonaro was asked whether he would shut down Congress if he were president. He said:

"There is no doubt. I would perform a coup on the same day. [Congress] doesn't work. And I am sure that at least 90 percent of the population would celebrate and applaud because it doesn't work. The Congress today is useless ... lets do the coup already. Let's go straight to the dictatorship."

QuoteIn the same interview he also said:

"Elections won't change anything in this country. Unfortunately, it will only change on the day that we break out in civil war here and do the job that the military regime didn't do: killing 30,000. If some innocent people die, that's fine. In every war, innocent people die. I will even be happy if I die as long as 30,000 others go with me."

QuoteAt a rally in São Paulo on Oct. 21, Mr. Bolsonaro vowed to imprison or exile his political opponents once in office:

"This time, the cleanup will be even greater. This group, if they want to stay, they will have to abide by our laws. Either they stay out or they will go to jail."

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Valmy

Why 30,000 people? Is he talking about 30,000 specific people? Is Brazil overpopulated by exactly 30,000 people so any 30,000 people will do?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

viper37

Quote from: Zoupa on October 29, 2018, 01:01:23 AM
Please inform yourself a little bit more. He's a mix of Berlusconi, Trump and Duterte.
I've seen worst.

;)

But Tim's link do not protrait him in a favourable light... to say the least.  All the media here spout about him is that he's right wing, without ever going into details.  At least the NYT backs up their assertions with hard facts.  Prior to reading that, I would have leaned toward's BB vision of the guy.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Tamas

He does seem like Duerte territory.

But hey, democracy.

The Larch

I was going to pile up on BB for his ignorance on Bolsonaro but I see that you guys went there before.  :P

I am only going to add that, besides his utterly disgusting personality and track record of being a massive blowhard, he has absolutely nothing to show for regarding his career, as he has simply been an opportunist since he entered politics. This is a person who joined the army during the military junta period that ended up in 1985 (where he only achieved the rank of captain, it's not as if he was a top general or anything), was expelled from active duty for taking part in a planned terrorist attack on civilian facilities (he personally designed the operation to bomb Rio de Janeiro's water supply) once the country became a democracy and then entered politics in 1989, jumping from party to party (he has belonged to 8 different parties since he started his political career) all the time and not holding one single position of responsability in almost 30 years of political career, as he never went beyond being a rank and file MP. And if you think that the guy has been able to jump to the frontline as an anti-corruption clean candidate, that's false as well, as he has been involved in several corruption scandals since 2000 and has become quite wealthy without a significant source of income besides his parlamentary salary. His own presidential campaign iscurrently  being investigated by the authorities for irregular donations form companies.

How he has propelled himself straight to the presidency of Brasil with such a trajectory is utterly flabbergasting to me.

Tamas

Also, allegedly, a recent poll showed that if the previous Prez wasn't in jail due to corruption, he would have won this election.

If that's true, portraying this guy as winning on genuine anti-corruption feelings is misleading.

Clearly, he has won for the same reason his ilk have been winning: a lot of people are mean bastards, and it has become socially okay to be like that and to cast your votes along those lines.

Admiral Yi

Only thing I would qualify in Larch's remarks is that jumping from party to party to party is par for the course in Brazil.

The Larch

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 29, 2018, 06:35:15 AM
Only thing I would qualify in Larch's remarks is that jumping from party to party to party is par for the course in Brazil.

Yes, but only up to a certain point. Top figures in Brasilian politics lately have been comparatively loyal to a single party in recent years (AFAIK it seems to be a staple of PT, the Worker's party, that their main figures don't come from other parties, as well as becoming a more stable democracy since the 80s, when all parties were in more or less constant flux). For comparison, Bolsonaro only joined his current party (the Social Liberal Party, which used to be centre-right before he joined and has been taken by him to a hard right position for the presidential campaign) in january of this year. Before that he was part of the Social Christian Party (a tiny religious conservative party run by an evangelical pastor) since 2016, and before that from 2005 to 2016 to another conservative party (ironically called Progressives) massively involved in the Petrobras scandal. In two of the parties he was part of he did not last even a single year.

DGuller

Quote from: Barrister on October 29, 2018, 12:41:40 AM
But my sister-in-law insisted on going out to vote at the Brazilian colsulate for Bolsonaro, even though it was Thanksgiving weekend in Canada.  When asked about it had nothing to do with "fascism" - but rather a lingering disgust with the prior 15 years of leftist rule, which of course included a number of corruption prosecutions.
That's how democracy dies.  People don't bother to think through the danger of voting for fascists just to express disgust with the current politicians.  We're in for a dark period.

Tamas

Quote from: DGuller on October 29, 2018, 08:01:01 AM
Quote from: Barrister on October 29, 2018, 12:41:40 AM
But my sister-in-law insisted on going out to vote at the Brazilian colsulate for Bolsonaro, even though it was Thanksgiving weekend in Canada.  When asked about it had nothing to do with "fascism" - but rather a lingering disgust with the prior 15 years of leftist rule, which of course included a number of corruption prosecutions.
That's how democracy dies.  People don't bother to think through the danger of voting for fascists just to express disgust with the current politicians.  We're in for a dark period.

It's sometimes hard not to think that the WW2 generations having now very much died out, there's just no collective memory left of where it leads to have some clown yelling funny and agressive shit in charge.

Syt

Quote from: Barrister on October 29, 2018, 12:41:40 AMWhen asked about it had nothing to do with "fascism" - but rather a lingering disgust with the prior 15 years of leftist rule, which of course included a number of corruption prosecutions.

Didn't Brazil have a conservative government for the last two years? :unsure:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Valmy

Quote from: Syt on October 29, 2018, 08:41:35 AM
Quote from: Barrister on October 29, 2018, 12:41:40 AMWhen asked about it had nothing to do with "fascism" - but rather a lingering disgust with the prior 15 years of leftist rule, which of course included a number of corruption prosecutions.

Didn't Brazil have a conservative government for the last two years? :unsure:

His political party is labelled 'Centrist' but I guess he was part of the impeached lady's coalition so probably not really conservative.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy

I like how their nationalist party is called the 'Social Liberal Party'

DGuller

Quote from: Tamas on October 29, 2018, 08:16:53 AM
It's sometimes hard not to think that the WW2 generations having now very much died out, there's just no collective memory left of where it leads to have some clown yelling funny and agressive shit in charge.
How does explain the Soviet Jews, though?  Jews know it's their fate to be persecuted for who they are, they won't forget that in one generation.  And yet, the vast majority of older immigrant Soviet Jews are hardcore fascists, and have been fascist in their rhetoric long before Trump.  "They're the good fascists, the ones that hate blacks, not Jews."

Tamas

Quote from: DGuller on October 29, 2018, 08:52:42 AM
Quote from: Tamas on October 29, 2018, 08:16:53 AM
How does explain the Soviet Jews, though?  Jews know it's their fate to be persecuted for who they are, they won't forget that in one generation.  And yet, the vast majority of older immigrant Soviet Jews are hardcore fascists, and have been fascist in their rhetoric long before Trump.  "They're the good fascists, the ones that hate blacks, not Jews."

Well yeah I guess that's more generic "how fascists come to power 101" stuff: the guy isn't specifically hating on them, he hates on other groups, which they don't like either, so its all good. Of course being thrown in front of the dogs when its their turn to keep the fascits in power is inevitable.