What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

It is important to remember what bizarre times were are in.

http://thehill.com/opinion/white-house/401797-dog-tweet-just-par-for-the-course-for-this-boorish-president
Quote'Dog' tweet just par for the course for this boorish president

It's beyond outrage. It is saddening, sickening and downright frightening.

The president of the United States called a woman a dog in his latest rant against former White House official and "Celebrity Apprentice" star Omarosa Manigault Newman.

Don't get me wrong: I don't like Omarosa. I don't respect her, and I think she is a self-serving, manipulative opportunist. She is cut from the same cloth as Donald Trump. They deserve each other. 

The fact that she recorded audio — and, who knows, maybe even video — of her conversations inside the White House with several staff members and with Trump himself should be a test of legality and ethics at the White House.

It also is a huge issue of national security since staff are not allowed to use listening devices in the White House, let alone in the sacred chamber of the Situation Room.

Who else is recording whom over there? And to whom will they make those tapes available? The White House has been compromised and so has the president of the United States. This weakens the country and should scare us all.

What will Republicans do about this? You remember when Republicans were so concerned about national security that they practically lit their hair on fire because of Hillary Clinton's emails?

Now we hear about the president and/or his top aides being recorded, White House staff using private email accounts and the president using unsecure devices to communicate with outsiders. Where are those same Republicans with their outrage?

The thing is, no matter how much you might disapprove of Omarosa's behavior, it does not negate the unacceptable behavior of the president of the United States, the commander in chief of the greatest country on earth and the "leader of the free world."

The president and the presidency should be bigger than the pettiness that Donald Trump is displaying. Someone in his position should not be officially ranting in an official White House tweet that calls a woman a "dog." This is not normal behavior. This is unhinged; this is disturbing. This is beyond outrage.

Yet, sadly, it is par for the course for this unfit president. He has attacked people of color incessantly, calling them "low I.Q.," "not smart," "sons of bitches," "criminals and rapists," "gang members" and "infestations."

Americans are rightly outraged. It is the reason why Trump still has low approval numbers and historically high disapproval numbers. Majorities of Americans do not think he is fit for office, and let's not forget that a majority of Americans did not vote for him.

He is even more unpopular than Richard Nixon was on the eve of his resignation.

But none of this matters much — and nothing will change — until one of two things happens: Either Republicans will get a conscience and do the right thing, or those same Republicans will be voted out of office in November. 

So Republicans, where are you? The silence is deafening. Can you imagine if it had been a Democratic president calling a woman a dog or caught on tape or caught using unsecure devices to communicate? We already would have started impeachment proceedings.

But this is Donald Trump, the man who has single-handedly taken over the Republican Party, emasculated its leaders, taken away their backbones (if they ever had any) and bent them all to his will. 

America, the president of the United States called a woman a dog. Let's allow that to sink in. Sure, his supporters will say that he has done this before — and he has. But not as president.

The president has crossed many lines of decency, civility and humanity. It happens practically daily. And it happens with impunity. 

Well, enough is enough, America. We are better than this. We know the president isn't better than this, but we are. We deserve better but, clearly, will not get it from this president or from these Republicans. 

Come November, let's show our children who we really are; if not for us, then let's do it for them. They do not deserve a country whose commander in chief weakens, sickens, saddens and disappoints us at every turn.

Our children deserve a president to whom they can look up to. Donald Trump is anything but.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

QuoteNow we hear about the president and/or his top aides being recorded, White House staff using private email accounts and the president using unsecure devices to communicate with outsiders. Where are those same Republicans with their outrage?

It is because it was driven by partisanship, not by actual concern for security. Because of course it wasn't.

Ok many of the people who were upset over the Clinton emails were actually concerned about security, and they were used being used as a tool for partisan warfare. The propaganda is not going to get them upset over their own people doing the same thing or something worse. I will say this though, it is interesting how shit stuck to Hillary when it tended to bounce off Bill and Trump.

And this writer knows damn well that is true. Yet this same question 'where is the outrage over XXX?!!!' gets thrown around constantly. But, granted, even then the 'XXX' is often not even something that really happened so it is often doubly dishonest. Ah the media.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

Yes, that is the weak piece of the opinion as it is rhetorical on security piece. I was more interested in the continued demeaning of women.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Brain

I'm shocked that you don't know demeaning of women.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on August 14, 2018, 04:06:14 PM
Yes, that is the weak piece of the opinion as it is rhetorical on security piece. I was more interested in the continued demeaning of women.

Ah well Trump does that all the time and a certain percentage of the population loves that. It makes him seem tough and shit.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on August 14, 2018, 04:07:22 PM

Ah well Trump does that all the time and a certain percentage of the population loves that. It makes him seem tough and shit.

I don't want to ever be complacent about the president of the US doing so. :(

The Brain

Quote from: Valmy on August 14, 2018, 04:07:22 PM

So does eating Indian street food.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Berkut

Its amazing that the latest defense of Trump is that this Omaroso women is a lying self promoting no integrity human being.

Well, duh. He surrounds himself with those kinds of people, so of course they kinds of people that are going to speak out against him are scumbags just like him. It's like expecting some mafia guys inner circle who is testifying against them to be upstanding citizens.

You don't get to defend yourself from being ratted out by your compatriots by only employing untrustworthy compatriots.

Do you?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Oexmelin

A colleague wrote a series of tweets about Trump being a natural outgrowth of a long history of American conservatism, as opposed to an anomaly to what was once an intellectually robust movement pre-Trump. The tweets blew up a bit, and he was interviewed in the Oregonian. Some of you may be interested:

https://www.oregonlive.com/expo/news/erry-2018/08/536bdf03c34178/oregon-history-professor-spark.html
Que le grand cric me croque !

FunkMonk

Quote from: Oexmelin on August 15, 2018, 01:51:09 PM
A colleague wrote a series of tweets about Trump being a natural outgrowth of a long history of American conservatism, as opposed to an anomaly to what was once an intellectually robust movement pre-Trump. The tweets blew up a bit, and he was interviewed in the Oregonian. Some of you may be interested:

https://www.oregonlive.com/expo/news/erry-2018/08/536bdf03c34178/oregon-history-professor-spark.html

Thanks Oex. I follow him on Twitter. Very cool that he has a Languish connection  :cool:
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

dps

Quote from: Valmy on August 14, 2018, 04:04:46 PM
it is interesting how shit stuck to Hillary when it tended to bounce off Bill and Trump.

If Seedy was still here, he'd tell us it's because she has a cunt and they don't.

I still don't think that really explains it, though.  Bill always came across as a guy you'd like to have over to have a couple of beers with while watching a ball game.  Hillary came across more as a killjoy.  I still have no explanation for Trump's popularity among some people.

I have never liked any of the three of them, but I can at least understand why people liked Bill.

garbon

The Georges seemed like happy funtime people?

grumbler

I think Bill Clinton was the first Democratic presidential candidate I voted for.  He had ideas, and a track record.  Plus, he was affable and wasn't an ideologue.  When necessary, he compromised to get things done.  I very much doubt we will ever see the prosperity we saw in his two terms.  Some of you may remember when completely paying off the US national debt was within sight.

Hillary never seemed the compromising type.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

11B4V

Quote from: dps on August 15, 2018, 03:43:55 PM
Quote from: Valmy on August 14, 2018, 04:04:46 PM
it is interesting how shit stuck to Hillary when it tended to bounce off Bill and Trump.

If Seedy was still here, he'd tell us it's because she has a cunt and they don't.

I still don't think that really explains it, though.  Bill always came across as a guy you'd like to have over to have a couple of beers with while watching a ball game.  Hillary came across more as a killjoy.  I still have no explanation for Trump's popularity among some people.

I have never liked any of the three of them, but I can at least understand why people liked Bill.

Easy, they want America to return to the good old days. Those people can't be reached. They were closet White Supremacist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACclN3UDrdo

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

crazy canuck

Thanks Oex,

I think he really nailed it - forgive the pun - here:

QuoteIf you think government is the problem, then it's no wonder your main political project will be destructive rather than constructive. Given the economic crisis of the '70s and the ossification of progressive policy thinking and implementation, I think conservatives in the Goldwater-ite and anti-Rockefeller Republican model, like Reagan and Kemp, offered a worthwhile course correction or counterpoint. It's not like the New Deal Order had (or has) all of the answers. But once [these conservatives] got into power, I think it became pretty clear that they didn't really have many sophisticated and effective ideas about how to deal with poverty or education or the environment or crime or..... When you're a free market hammer, everything looks like a deregulatory nail needing to be struck.