What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

It will need some adjusting to see the UK and the US as the regressive, closed societies of the developed world, toward which they are both moving.

mongers

Quote from: Syt on August 07, 2018, 12:49:51 AM

I'm still baffled (though I guess I shouldn't be) that the EPA determined that checking effects of substances when they get into the air, water, or soil is not relevant for deciding whether or not it's harmful. I mean how blatant can you get in your not-giving-a-fuck-itude?

Guiding principles for the Trump 'administration':

1. Showing compassion to anyone or anything is always a sign of weakness.

2. Always stick the boot-in wherever and whenever possible, especially if they're powerless.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

HisMajestyBOB

Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Oexmelin

The attack on the free press bearing fruit:

43% of Republicans apparently want to give the President the power to shut down the media.

https://www.ipsos.com/en-us/news-polls/americans-views-media-2018-08-07
Que le grand cric me croque !

Valmy

Whenever I see results like this I wonder if people understand that the other team might control the Presidency at some point.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

frunk

Quote from: Valmy on August 07, 2018, 01:47:53 PM
Whenever I see results like this I wonder if people understand that the other team might control the Presidency at some point.

I think the point is they are trying to prevent that possibility.

Malthus

Quote from: Oexmelin on August 07, 2018, 01:45:35 PM

43% of Republicans apparently want to give the President the power to shut down the media.

One of the main ingredients of fascism is coming into place.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

garbon

Quote from: frunk on August 07, 2018, 01:50:19 PM
Quote from: Valmy on August 07, 2018, 01:47:53 PM

I think the point is they are trying to prevent that possibility.

Exactly. See say the Hungarian government.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Oexmelin

It seems the GOP's strategy is to enshrine their power in institutions, including the Supreme Court, so as to make it difficult to remove, and easy to get back. 
Que le grand cric me croque !

Razgovory

I think the popularity of the "QAnon" conspiracy in the GOP reveal a real desire for despotism in the US.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

mongers

Quote from: Razgovory on August 07, 2018, 01:54:46 PM

I think the popularity of the "QAnon" conspiracy in the GOP reveal a real desire for despotism in the US.

It'll be ironic if this 'theory' is revealed to be a piss take, and yet they'll still cling to it.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Razgovory

Quote from: mongers on August 07, 2018, 03:13:24 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on August 07, 2018, 01:54:46 PM

It'll be ironic if this 'theory' is revealed to be a pissed take, and yet they'll still cling to it.

That is a very likely scenario.  What is frigtening is that so many Americans would support a coup and military government.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Jacob on August 06, 2018, 10:42:31 AM
Quote from: Eddie Teach on August 05, 2018, 02:04:01 AM
It's been a while since either side was willing to compromise.

Obama's first two years were all about reaching out and compromise. The response from the GOP was almost pure spite.

2010 qualifies as "a while" imo.

Frankly, the backlash to such a seemingly obvious statement baffles me. Republicans are worse? Ok. Republicans started it? Maybe so. Congressional democrats don't have a lot of compromise in them either.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

DGuller

Quote from: Eddie Teach on August 07, 2018, 11:53:29 PM
Quote from: Jacob on August 06, 2018, 10:42:31 AM
Quote from: Eddie Teach on August 05, 2018, 02:04:01 AM
It's been a while since either side was willing to compromise.

Obama's first two years were all about reaching out and compromise. The response from the GOP was almost pure spite.

2010 qualifies as "a while" imo.

Frankly, the backlash to such a seemingly obvious statement baffles me. Republicans are worse? Ok. Republicans started it? Maybe so. Congressional democrats don't have a lot of compromise in them either.
I think you're just reflexively digging in and are unwilling to consider a lot of thoughtful replies that have been given to you.  I'm frankly not sure why people still bother, since I'm sure it takes some time to engage with you in good faith, only for all that to bounce against the impenetrable armor of contrarianism.

Eddie Teach

You can go fuck yourself.

This post has about as much thought as any of yours from the last two years.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?