What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

Quote from: Eddie Teach on August 08, 2018, 02:32:59 AM
You can go fuck yourself.

This post has about as much thought as any of yours from the last two years.
And this post is as objective and insightful as any of yours since you started your contrarian phase.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Habbaku

I remember when Teach didn't just post two sentences of "nuh-uh". It is definitely a phase.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Maximus

Congressional Democrats have been,  if anything,  too conciliatory.

The Brain

It's actually not called "Congressional Democrats". It's just Democrats.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Valmy

As I have said previously there is just no political reason to try to compromise these days. If you do your own party will attack you and the other party will still hate you. Without political points to score, most politicians will not do it.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on August 08, 2018, 12:18:14 PM
As I have said previously there is just no political reason to try to compromise these days. If you do your own party will attack you and the other party will still hate you. Without political points to score, most politicians will not do it.

Was there ever a time when the reason for compromise was that the other party will not hate you?  Hasn't the American system always been based on what political points can be scored by individual representatives in their own individual political interests?

Valmy

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 08, 2018, 01:29:13 PM

Was there ever a time when the reason for compromise was that the other party will not hate you?  Hasn't the American system always been based on what political points can be scored by individual representatives in their own individual political interests?

Yeah there was a time when having a reputation for being able to work with the other party was a big plus and you could draw voters from the other party doing it. It was not that long ago. So yes the system was always based on scoring political points, bipartisanship used to score political points and now it does not. Ergo there is much less of it.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Razgovory

Yes, but not really in my lifetime.  It was pretty bad in the 1990's, people were noting it then, and it has gotten worse since then.  There was a brief period of bipartisanship after 9/11 but it really fell apart over the Iraq war.  Can't speak to the 1980's, I was born in '81.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on August 08, 2018, 01:43:43 PM

Yeah there was a time when having a reputation for being able to work with the other party was a big plus and you could draw voters from the other party doing it. It was not that long ago. So yes the system was always based on scoring political points, bipartisanship used to score political points and now it does not. Ergo there is much less of it.

Those are different things though Valmy.  You (and I) wish to a return to a day when reasonable cooperation was seen as a future by your own party and the people who support your party.   That is different than what the other party and their voters think of you.  Your concern is more with the primary system and what voters within the candidate's own party thinks of them.

Valmy

I was just pointing out Eddie is not wrong. There is no political reason, and tons of political risk, to reaching across the aisle as things stand. I would be surprised if either party does much of that, at least at the Federal level, going forward for awhile.

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 08, 2018, 02:58:11 PM
Those are different things though Valmy.  You (and I) wish to a return to a day when reasonable cooperation was seen as a future by your own party and the people who support your party.   That is different than what the other party and their voters think of you.  Your concern is more with the primary system and what voters within the candidate's own party thinks of them.

I am just saying you are paying a price of having your own party see you as a traitor and not gaining any sort of political benefit to offset that. No need to get too hooked on my choice of words there.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Valmy on August 08, 2018, 01:43:43 PM

Actually, politicians are still rewarded for it in the general, it's just that they don't usually make it out of the primary now.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

crazy canuck

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2018/aug/09/michael-moore-fahrenheit-11-9-trailer-trump-documentary

"Hope is passive," Moore said about the movie. "Hope gives you permission to let someone else do the work. Hope leads people to believe that tax returns, or a pee tape, or the FBI or an adult film star will save the country. Hope, and the passivity that comes with it, is what helped get us here to begin with. It's the lazy way out. We don't need hope. We need action."

Syt

You know who was unfairly exempted from the Trump tax breaks? Banks.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/fine-print-on-new-treasury-rules-gives-banks-big-tax-break

QuoteA new Treasury Department proposal would give U.S. banks a huge tax cut by somehow no longer classifying them as "financial services." When it was being argued in late 2017, the Republican tax bill stated that financial services companies were not eligible for massive tax cuts given to other corporations in order to silence critics who noted the bill would give more money to big banks. A joint report from Splinter News and the investigative-reporting blog Capital & Main notes the fine print of a rule issued by Treasury Secretary Steve Mnuchin on Wednesday would change some 2,000 banks' classification to S corporations, making them eligible for the tax cut. "Commenters requested guidance as to whether financial services includes banking," the Treasury Department rule now states. "The Treasury Department and the IRS agree with such commenters [that] financial services should be more narrowly interpreted here." "Financial services" would now only include services like those provided by investment bankers and financial advisers. "The notion that financial services excludes banking should be quite a surprise to members of the House Financial Services Committee, which thought that it had jurisdiction over banking," Daniel Hemel, a University of Chicago tax law professor, told Capital & Main.

Original article: https://capitalandmain.com/trumps-treasury-department-hands-banks-a-windfall-0808
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

jimmy olsen

Interesting

JohnJHarwood/status/1027618535630163969
big divergences btwn 2016 exits and new Pew retrospective:
-non-college voters were 63% of total, not 50%
-HRC won (diminished) share of white college grads by 17 pts, instead of losing them by 4
-women were 55% of vote, not 52%
-65+ were 27%, not 15%
-under 30 were 13% not 19%
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point